hello from buckinghamshire!

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
bobbo

hello from buckinghamshire!

Post by bobbo »

hi im very happy to be working with all of you in what seems to be a large but close knit organisation.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Hi bobbo, welcome to UBT.
What projects are you crunching?
Martle

Post by Martle »

Welcome to the best team ever bobbo.  :wink:
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

Hi Welcome to the Team.  :D

Jimmy
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

Temujin wrote:Hi bobbo, welcome to UBT.
What projects are you crunching?
at the moment im doing seti@home and einstein@home. im still getting used to everything, but in time i will definately have alot more.

thanks, bobbo
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: hello from buckinghamshire!

Post by UBT - Timbo »

bobbo wrote:hi im very happy to be working with all of you in what seems to be a large but close knit organisation.
Hi bobbo,

Yup, I think most of us are nits :wink: ......and if not, we've probably got 'em.....   :oops:

regards and welcome

Tim
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

hahaha thanks everyone for the kind welcome
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Welcome whats your BOINC username?
gregoryw
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by gregoryw »

Welcome to our team!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hello  :hello2: & welcome to the team :thumbup:
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Welcome to the team, what excellent taste you have. :lol:  :lol:
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

in your signiatures there are charts and tables and things. what are they and how do i access them if i can?

and also the tasks that my computer is completing, does anyone know what they are?

thanks
UBT - Halifax-lad

bobbo wrote:in your signiatures there are charts and tables and things. what are they and how do i access them if i can?

and also the tasks that my computer is completing, does anyone know what they are?

thanks
Just follow the url's written on the sigs and follow the instructions once you get to the site

If you let us know your BOINC user name can help some more

Edit: Ignore my blond streak was looking for you in BOINCstats but you don't exist over there as yet until your credit appears unlike our UBT stats where you appear within an hour
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:
bobbo wrote:in your signiatures there are charts and tables and things. what are they and how do i access them if i can?

thanks
Just follow the url's written on the sigs and follow the instructions once you get to the site

If you let us know your BOINC user name can help some more

Edit: Ignore my blond streak was looking for you in BOINCstats but you don't exist over there as yet until your credit appears unlike our UBT stats where you appear within an hour
my user name is bobbo aswell. do i get credit as soon as one of my tasks is finished before the deadline date?
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

oh also, does the work done category increase once a task is finished?

thanks for answering i don't wanna be a pain
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

bobbo wrote:my user name is bobbo aswell. do i get credit as soon as one of my tasks is finished before the deadline date?
Not quite - some projects have a quorum, so depending on how many WU's are in the quorum (maybe 3, maybe more), then you'll only get creddit once the required number of people have completed AND returned the same WU.

Then the credit is issued.

In the early days (when fewer members had joined) it could take weeks to receive credits....but once you build up a head of steam they'll be added to your total pretty quickly...

regards

Tim
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

ok thank you ill keep a close eye on my tasks and see if i get some credits when some are finished.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

bobbo wrote:oh also, does the work done category increase once a task is finished?
No pain, no gain !!

The Work Done total is generated by the project and sent back to your BOINC Manager every time you have uploaded completed work AND the credit has been issued.

You can force a manual update of this total by selecting a project and then clicking on "Update" in the "Projects > Commands" button. (It'll only increase if you've already returned WU before of course..!)

regards

Tim
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

what is WU? ive seen it used alot but have no idea what it is.

thanks, bobbo
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

sorry, ive just read the UK boinc team website and learnt that it means work units.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

bobbo wrote:ok thank you ill keep a close eye on my tasks and see if i get some credits when some are finished.
As long as WU is returned and validates correctly, then you'll receive some credit, which is usually calculated from the credits claimed by each member who returned that specific WU.

Sometimes return WU's don't receive credit, which may be down to a computation error, or if the WU is returned AFTER the completion date specified.

As such, it makes sense to just have a small cache of work downloaded to your computer, so that you don't have so much work to do that you run out of time.

When you join a BOINC project, there is a BOINC-wide preferences (so you set it once and it applies to every BOINC project you join) where you can change the amount of work in your cache.

So, go to "Your Account", click on "General preferences", then click on "Edit preferences" and then scroll down to the "Network usage" section and check the "Connect to network about every" and set this to between 1 and say 3 days (which gives you enough work for 2-6 days) and assuming your PC is on 24/7. If on for less than this time, then set to a lower amount, say bewtween 0.5 and 1.

regards

Tim
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

thank you, you have been such a good help.

i have 1 final question though. i have wireless broadband and occasionally it goes off and i don't have the internet until i restart the computer again. so if im out of the house all day for work say about 8 hours and my internet goes off.

do the tasks still go on without my internet being on?

or does just having the computer on work to keep the tasks going?
UBT - Halifax-lad

As long as you have work available internet downtime does not matter, so long as you have work for when the internet is down all will be fine
Martle

Post by Martle »

Your computer will only connect to either upload a finished WU or download a new WU. As long as there are enough WU's in your cache, your computer will take the new one from there and then begin to work on it. If there is no connection when it's finished a WU, it will hang onto it until a connection is made and then upload it.

Therefore you do not need a permanent connection as long as you have enough WU's in your cache.  :wink:

Your computer does not need to be connected to process a WU.
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

ahhh good! ill make sure im stocked up then!

thanks everyone, im glad theres a forum to go to otherwise id be duly lost

thanks, bobbo
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

bobbo wrote:ahhh good! ill make sure im stocked up then!

thanks everyone, im glad theres a forum to go to otherwise id be duly lost

thanks, bobbo
Hi Bobbo,

Now you've sussed out why this forum is here.... :oops:

(Simply to help users gain experience using BOINC, which then provides a platform for others to view and help solve their issues. Or at least maybe get them to join the forum and post their question directly).

With so many forum members - you'll find that at least one of us has the experience of suffering a specific problem and then solving it (usually!) or having it solved by someone else.

Glad you appreciate the help.

Feel free to keep asking questions if you need to...!

regards

Tim
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

i do appreciate the help and because of it i feel comfortable for the moment with what im doing but yes if i need to ask any questions its good to know they'll get answered