Heads-up - Credits required on specific projects?

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Heads-up - Credits required on specific projects?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

We've done some Crunches this year, which basically were generating credits for projects for a specific reason - mainly because with a "short burst" of credit generation we could improve our ranking position, in either the UK or World rankings.

This has worked well, but as the "Crunch candidate(s)" were manually chosen, so care had to be taken to ensure that we were as fair as possible to each of the projects, so that we could ensure there was no favourtism shown to just a few "selected" projects.

Time has moved on, and there's now a great stats webpage that Darren has been able to generate, where we can see, at a single glance, which projects are in need of our resources - either as we are close to improving our ranking or where another team is fast catching up with us (in either the UK or World stats).

You can see this here:
http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/stats/ubt ... -page.html

I know that some team members may have particular reasons for supporting only one (or maybe a few) projects and that they have no interest in other projects. I have no issue with this as every project needs it's "stable base" of supporters who dedicate their PC('s) to crunch only on the members choice of project.

On the other hand, there may be some members (and I include myself here) who are quite happy to switch their resources to needy projects where we have a specific requirement to either move up a ranking position or to defend our existing rank.

So, I'd like to propose the following:

I think it would be good if by the end of each month, we find out which projects we need to concentrate on (from the stats page mentioned) and then offer this as a "suggestion" that members make a credit contribution towards, during the following month.

This then allows everyone to contribute as many (or as few, depending on how many WU's you allow the BOINC Manager to download) WU's towards the overall effort and we should then be able to either raise our game or (more usually) to prevent someone from overtaking us.....

I've set up a poll for people to vote on whether this idea sounds like a "go-er".

regards

Tim