Is there a "users wanted" list

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
stuart264

Is there a "users wanted" list

Post by stuart264 »

This may seem like a very obvious question but I am new to Boinc :)

Is there a list anywhere on the web  of projects that need users as looking around it seems like the larger projects seem maxed out with users and the smaller projects seem to need users but are very hard to track down.

Stuart.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Is there a "users wanted" list

Post by UBT - Timbo »

stuart264 wrote:This may seem like a very obvious question but I am new to Boinc :)

Is there a list anywhere on the web  of projects that need users as looking around it seems like the larger projects seem maxed out with users and the smaller projects seem to need users but are very hard to track down. Stuart.
Hi Stuart,

I think the hard reality is that ALL the projects need as many members as possible, as most of the projects are producing WU's for crunching, but some projects don't have enough members to allow the project to progress at the rate that they would like.

And sadly, most projects do not have any budget available to advertise themselves properly, resulting in people finding out about projects by chance.

That's why I set up UBT - to maximise the chance of people finding out about ALL the BOINC projects and hence leave it to the individual to decide if a particular project suited them.

see http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/uk-boinc-team.html and click on "All the projects we support".

Likewise, by acting as a "focal point" for the projects (from a UK perspective), if there's an issue on a project, then you can bet it will be discussed in our forum !!

You can find out how many members are joined to any project by clicking here:

http://www.boincstats.com/

This shows you in a table form, by project, the number of "users" (i.e. members), the number of "hosts" (i.e. PC's crunching), the total amount of credit and the credits awarded in the last day.

From this you can tell which have fewer members and maybe need more support and which are active (if 0 credits awarded recently, the project may be "inactive" for one reason or another).

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Just sign up for whatever projects you wish all need people
stuart264

Post by stuart264 »

Thats what I do, its just the bigger projects have more publicity and more users and the smaller ones don't and suffer from as posted a lack of users

Stuart.
stuart264

Post by stuart264 »

Thanks for the boinc stats, not to disrespect the work of SETI but its a bit strange when half a million users sign up to find extra-terrertrial life but hardly any sign up to help solve problems on this planet.

Stuart.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

stuart264 wrote:Thanks for the boinc stats, not to disrespect the work of SETI but its a bit strange when half a million users sign up to find extra-terrertrial life but hardly any sign up to help solve problems on this planet.

Stuart.
I think that's more down to the fact the SETI's been going since 1999 !!

Some projects only went live this year !!

regards

Tim
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

stuart264 wrote:Thanks for the boinc stats, not to disrespect the work of SETI but its a bit strange when half a million users sign up to find extra-terrertrial life but hardly any sign up to help solve problems on this planet.

Stuart.
Seti was the first and for many years the only mass computing project. Most SETI members (like myself) probably continued to crunch for SETI and switched to BOINC when SETI did (and there was little choice of  other projects back then anyway). BOINC may never have happened if SETI did not exist it and it would certainly have had far fewer members.