CPU v GPU, my feelings....

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

CPU v GPU, my feelings....

Post by melter65 »

As some know, especially UBT - bobuk, I've always had a problem with GPU crunching. Not a technical problem, a moral problem. I always thought GPU crunching would create two tier teams, the ones who only crunched with their 'spare cycles', as BOINC was originally intended, and those who could afford more and more expensive GPU cards and spend the time tweaking those cards to gain credits well over and above CPU crunching.

Now let me be the first to say, I have no problem being in a team consisting of both types of crunchers. But I personally will stick to projects that only support CPU crunching and do not cater for the 'credit whores' (joke!) that seem to make up the majority of crunchers these days. Again let me say, I am not criticising anyone for using GPU cards, it's obviously the future of boincing, but not one I want to be a part of.

Therefore I will only be crunching Poem@Home and WCG from now on, although I have kept PrimeGrid as an option to help out during the Challenges.

I will remain a loyal member of UBT and still follow the progress of the team. I hope I don't lose any friends in the team because of this stance, I reiterate, I'm not criticising any team member or other crunchers, this is just my personal feelings  :D
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

While I myself (like any good credit whore) have happily embraced the new GPU era, I too choose to crunch CPU only projects on my CPUs (mainly WCG these days), so I'll agree with you that far Mr Melter. ;)

Personally I, like most crunchers, started crunching with the intention of donating my spare cycles to a good cause, but it didn't take too long before I had developed a more competitive reason to keep crunching (that's the point of having a credit based reward system after all), so I joined a team (UBT) and started running my PC even when I wasn't actually using it, eventually going 24/7. For me GPU crunching, and the credit storm it provides, is a natural continuation of that process, and it has enabled me to actually cut down on how much I run my systems, thus reducing my leccy bills without reducing my contribution, which seems like quite a good deal to me.  :D

Oh, and while I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, you might want to take a closer look at POEMs CPU only credentials. O_O
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Jeffers »

I have a mid-range PC, as I do a bit of gaming and run simulator software sometimes, so I have a reasonable graphics card.
When I'm using those bits of software I have GPU disabled in BOINC, if not then I let BOINC use it. As I see it I'm still just donating spare cycles to BOINC, be it CPU or GPU.
I would think that the majority of PC users will be at a similar level of performance with their machines, so I don't see any sort of us and them scenario developing.... just my thoughts on the matter.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Joshrandom wrote:Oh, and while I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, you might want to take a closer look at POEMs CPU only credentials. O_O
This has been coming for a while now, about 4yrs if you read the forums at POEM!  :lol:  :lol:
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

As a dedicated cruncher, I do tend to favour humanitarian and scientific projects, even though sometimes the credits are not as good as some from the more frivolous projects.

Having said that, I am first and last, a UK BOINC Team member, and want to give the best possible number of credits to the team, so I run CPU projects of my choice, but always run the best possible choice in terms of credits for my GPU, in my case, DistRTen, for the team.

I think this is about the right balance.
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

We crunch what we crunch, all for different reasons. Our reasons and outcomes are all just as valid as anyone else's. What is important is not to lose a sense of fun about things. Regretably an increasing number of individuals out there seem to want to turn everything into some sort of e-peen competition, which is tedious at best  :thefinger: . A supportive friendship and willing community spirit is, in the long run, worth a great deal more than some mythical artifical measurement of self deluding superiority .

Competition is a wonderful thing as such, all adds a little something to life's twists and turns, but let it get away from a friendly banter - and things nose dive rapidly into back stabbing and blood letting - and that's on a good day rofl  :lol:

A Team member who comes along just for a chuckle and friendly banter is as much a Team member as someone chucking out a gazzillion credits a day. If we ever lose sight of the latter, the Team cannot survive, no Team can.

Life's too short to live by ego alone, particularly if its based on a purely artifical and inherently worthless measure of "reward" such as the infamous BOINC credit. I always keep a few glucose bottles ready at the feeding station for the credit chaser as they hurtle along by  :toothy10: , and if their happy, well thats cool.

Be happy, help friends and colleagues, and enjoy life, it's too short to do otherwise frankly  :toothy7:

This will sound corny to some .... but it's true ... when I look across at the wife relaxing in one of her rare idle moments, or out riding "smelly beasts" (for the unitiated = horses - she's obsessed by the things), it puts the whole dumb e-peen thing into perspective. I am far more content my gravestone saying "I enjoyed life with a wonderful Lady", than "I died a Billionaire"  :wink:

Regards
Zy