Team website moving !

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Team website moving !

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Just in case you think there's a problem, please be advised that  I'm in the process of moving the UBT website onto a different IP address and server.

Should all have propagated through by Monday morning.....so, don't worry your little cotton socks, it's all OK and under control........!

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Does that mean we can soon get a new website, or do I have to keep holding my breath a lot longer yet :?:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Does that mean we can soon get a new website, or do I have to keep holding my breath a lot longer yet :?:

Hi David,

The new server allows a lot more functionality to be incorporated onto any website running on it. And hopefully, if I can spare some time and maybe get some help from Dazza, perhaps, then there's some things we might be able to do now, which I couldn't "do" before.

Likewise, if some money is donated to the upkeep of the server, (see http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/ubt-funding.html) then all sorts of other things might happen as well....but there is a limit in terms of time that I can afford to spend on it, as I have my "real job" to do, which already takes up a lot of my time.

You see: Upto now, it's been very much a "hobby" thing for me to do. And while I don't foresee this becoming a "major source of income", I do have to look carefully at what resources I can "spare" to do major changes.

HOWEVER:
One idea I have thought about is to allow team members to create their own webpages on the Team website, so that if you think the team would benefit from your HTML or coding skills, then I'm happy to provide a "link" in from the main site and then the Team could benefit by utilising members skills and idea's.

I'd always considered the Team website to be a "portal" - currently, we mainly link to other sites - so why not link to our own members????

regards

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

DNS should have propgated now - I can access UBT Team site (via web) now and assume most of you can as well.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

At the moment we seem to have 2 front pages depending what main link you use what is the main page :?:

This one http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/uk-boinc-team.html

or this one

http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

I'm still getting File Not Found as at 10:16 this am. Will keep trying though.

Chris.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:At the moment we seem to have 2 fromt pages depending what main link you use what is the main page :?:

This one http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/uk-boinc-team.html

or this one

http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/

Correct - give the man a banana !!

The first one is the one that is linked to from "allied" websites - so for people who "know" about BOINC and are curious, so the first link takes them to the "main" site.

The second link is for people who find us by other routes (eg google) and hence when one of the page links is clicked they ago to the afore-mentioned "main" page.

It's all designed to maximise our "visibility".

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote:I'm still getting File Not Found as at 10:16 this am. Will keep trying though.

Chris.
The DNS takes between 12 and 48 hours to fully propagate. And depending on who your ISP is, some will be able to access sooner rather than later.

But it is now live on the new server, so it'll be accessible sometime today for most.

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:Correct - give the man a banana !
20 quid will do instead :wink:
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote:Correct - give the man a banana !
20 quid will do instead :wink:
omg....a yorkshire man only asking for 20 squid

b. :)
UBT - Halifax-lad

Well I certainly would not be handing it out that would be wrong :lol: