Primegrid Leonids challenge

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Rick Horn

Primegrid Leonids challenge

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Primegrid`s Leonids challenge is just 8 hours away, and lasts for 5 days.
Are we up for this guys?

http://www.primegrid.com
Last edited by UBT - Rick Horn on Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

I'm in.

( runs a bit hot by the looks of it... [edit]or maybe that's just coincidence...[/edit])
LupusUK

Post by LupusUK »

Just got some WUs so count me in
UBT - Rick Horn

Barrie wrote:
( runs a bit hot by the looks of it... [edit]or maybe that's just coincidence...[/edit])
It`s a very demanding sub-project, so make sure your pc is up to it, and watch those temps!
UBT - Rick Horn

I can`t say I`m too happy with the choice of sub-project this time.
It looks like they`re going to run for about 30 hours.

So who is going to risk starting a new one with 29 hours to go?  :roll:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

That's the reason I didn't take part in this challenge. Five days isn't long enough for these wu's, the challenge should be a month long at least!
UBT - Rick Horn

melter65 wrote:That's the reason I didn't take part in this challenge. Five days isn't long enough for these wu's, the challenge should be a month long at least!
I think a lot of people would be put off by a month long challenge (including me.) But Primegrid should be more thoughtful in their choice of sub-projects for their challenges.

Edit: latest WUs running for 22 hours and only 30% complete. Now detached!
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

'Tis a bit stupid, but I've started so I might as well finish...
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:Edit: latest WUs running for 22 hours and only 30% complete. Now detached!
That doesn't sound at all right :-

My oc/d 9450 is finishing them in under 16hrs...
My Xeon is doing them in about 28hrs ( running 8 on a 4core with HT, hitting 80C thanks to wonder Dell cooling :p ), so around 14hrs per WU per core... ( Hmmm I might want to turn off HT on the last day to maximise my turn in... )

Still too long for a 5day challenge really, but surely yours should be in the same ballpark?
UBT - Rick Horn

My slower PC finished 2 in about 32 hours each, it was my faster quad that seemed to be having trouble, but it wasn`t overheating.
I`ve now put it on something more productive.
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Well, 24th place after the finish, though I still have at least one applicable WU awaiting validation.

If I'd disabled hyper threading a few hours earlier I could probably have squeezed another few WUs through...