Zonealarm Antivirus

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Zonealarm Antivirus

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Wanna ditch Norton programs as they take soooo long to initialise at start up and I'm sure they're slowing down other things in the background. Replaced most of what Systemworks did but am still left with the Antivirus.

As I've got the free version of Zonealarm I was wondering if anyone was running the 'pro' version with antivirus.

Any probs?
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Re: Zonealarm Antivirus

Post by UBT - bobuk »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Wanna ditch Norton programs as they take soooo long to initialise at start up and I'm sure they're slowing down other things in the background. Replaced most of what Systemworks did but am still left with the Antivirus.

As I've got the free version of Zonealarm I was wondering if anyone was running the 'pro' version with antivirus.

Any probs?
have you tried the free edition of AVG ?

works well and updates every day

bob
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

I swear by ZA Pro and AVG free, been using them for years with no probs, apart from ZA blocking NetDimes, but got that sorted by changing a few firewall rules  8)
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Heard a lot of good things about AVG so it's going in now. So if it buggers up I'll blame the avatar!

Image Image

Gary

Post by Gary »

I`ve just started using Bullguard internet security f/w & a/v all in one.

Although its not free you can have a full version on trial for 60 days, its well worth looking at.
Keithj

Post by Keithj »

I've been using ZoneAlarm and AVG for a couple of years, and have absolutely no complaints.   They both do what they say they will.

I've removed McAfee and Norton from a few colleagues' machines that were having problems, and they've been a lot better with ZoneAlarm/AVG.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Zonealarm Antivirus

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Wanna ditch Norton programs as they take soooo long to initialise at start up and I'm sure they're slowing down other things in the background.

Back in the good old, bad old days of DOS, I was really keen on Norton - with Peter Norton's smiling face on the box and some very useful programs that really helped PC's run faster, leaner, etc as well as some great disk recovery tools.

Things like SpeedDisk, FileInfo, UnErase, WipeDisk, DiskDoctor and others really saved my bacon a few times, when DOS messed itself up.

But, PN sold out to Symantec for a few squillions and ever since, their programs have got to be much larger, using more resources (unlike the original programs which were individual and designed for specific jobs!!

Left the field open to others (like ZA and AVG) to do what PN used to do....!

Nostalgia mode > "OFF"

regards

Tim
Keithj

Post by Keithj »

Spot on, Tim!

I remember those heady days when Norton (and especially Norton Disk Doctor) were essential tools.  Sadly long gone.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Yeah - ditched all the Norton stuff now. Seems to start up a lot quicker. Quite happy with AVG seems to work fine.

Disc Doctor - the things I could do with that at work!

Lost your password? - No prob! Quick hack into the code and replace it.

Done a program change to make things work better but don't want to go through the official channels - Quick change of version number back to the original, knock off the 'A' attribute and, just to wind them up, add a 'h' attribute to hide everything and find a bit of spare space in the code to write ' Kilroy was ere'!

I'm sure there are replacements but it was such fun watching the admins trying to find out how I did it with their mega expensive, anti hacking software. They stopped me eventually but it was fun while it lasted!

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Disc Doctor - the things I could do with that at work!.....but it was fun while it lasted!

Hi Mike,

At work "back then" I soon became the "diskette guru" - we had 2 PC's - a 10MHz 286 and a 12MHz 386.....both with very slow 20Mb HD ...!

All the sales reports and spreadsheets were done on these and each company director had a box of either 1.2" or 1.44" HD floppies.

The panic on their faces, when they realised that the last xx minutes/hours of work had been corrupted/lost etc.

I won so many brownie points back then - didn't have the heart to tell them:

1) I'd adjusted (in the set-up) for both Lotus 123 and SmartWare to create back-up's when saving "just in case".

2) Older copies which sometimes were over-written (they thought) which weren't - they were simply "deleted" and a new file saved on another bit of diskette. A quick "UnDelete" and the file was back....!

3) A little bit of jigery-pokery with DiskEditor was fine when parts of a "lost" file got corrupted....just find the old bits with the HEX editor, save the section to a new part of the diskette - a quick edit with the FAT editor and bingo - sorted.....

But the b*stards never paid for the software.....so I just saved up my brownie points and at the right time (when I might have otherwise got a bit of a b*llocking) cashed in my chips....

regards

Tim