A few questions on running BOINC

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
Martle

A few questions on running BOINC

Post by Martle »

Now that I'm running multiple projects on BOINC, I have a few questions that you guys could perhaps answer for me.

Scenario 1

Say for instance I'm running 4 projects on Computer 1 and each project has 25% processor resource share. Say for instance I want to temporarily concentrate on just 2 projects. I'm not sure which is the best way to go about this. Do I detatch from the projects I want to temporarily 'ditch' or do I set them to not to download any new WU's?

Scenario 2

One of my machines has a dual core Pentium and I have BBC and WCG running 24/7 using both cores. Although each claims 50% processing power they are of course both running full time on each 'core'. If I was to add another project, is there any way that I can have BBC running at 100% and WCG and the other project each using 50% of the other core?

(I've tried using BAM but it seems to make global changes to all my machines so I've opted to make individual changes using BOINC.)

Scenario 3

I want to rip some DVD's on my dual core jobbie and I've already discovered that having BOINC and Nero running at the same time is not on. So, while I do my ripping, is it better to set BOINC on 'Snooze' or close it down completely?

Any advice would be gratefully received.  :wink:
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

I am not an expert but for scenario 1 you could just set the projects to not get any new tasks (and if you did not want to wait for the current tasks to finish then suspend the project but watch out for deadlines in that case). There is no need to detach from the projects.
Gary

Re: A few questions on running BOINC

Post by Gary »

Martle wrote:
Scenario 2

One of my machines has a dual core Pentium and I have BBC and WCG running 24/7 using both cores. Although each claims 50% processing power they are of course both running full time on each 'core'. If I was to add another project, is there any way that I can have BBC running at 100% and WCG and the other project each using 50% of the other core?

Any advice would be gratefully received.  :wink:
In your preference section in BBC set resource share to 50% and 25% each for the other two projects, this I think will let BBC run 100% on 1 cpu and the other two sharing cpu 2 50/50, I hope this is right as I want to do this too  :!:

Gary
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Martle wrote:Scenario 1
Say for instance I'm running 4 projects on Computer 1 and each project has 25% processor resource share. Say for instance I want to temporarily concentrate on just 2 projects.
Just set those projects to "No new tasks" in the "Projects" tab. You can also "Suspend" them as well if you want. This will then prevent BOINC from doing any work on these projects. If you want to save disk space, you can also "Reset" the project, which will delete any downlaoded files and executables. (When you re-start on the project, BOINC will auto-download work and any executables required).
Scenario 2
If I was to add another project, is there any way that I can have BBC running at 100% and WCG and the other project each using 50% of the other core?
Just set the correct reource amount on each of the projects you want to crunch on. The %ages, don't have to add up to 100, as BOINC adds up all the percentages and works it all out accordingly (eg you could set them to 200/100/100 !!). In other words, rather than change 2 projects from 100% to 50%, you can achieve the exact same, by increasing one projects resource share from 100 to 200...!

Scenario 3
So, while I do my ripping, is it better to set BOINC on 'Snooze' or close it down completely?
Sad truth is that although BOINC is supposed to use "spare" CPU cycles, the fact is that some projects almost takes over your PC....! As such, any OTHER programs that require specific amounts of CPU time or are memory intensive are best allowed to use the CPU alone and don't allow BOINC to interfere....so just exit BOINC and you can then do what you need to do....

As good as it is to support BOINC, don't let it take over your life....!

regards

Tim
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

UBT - Timbo wrote: other core?
As good as it is to support BOINC, don't let it take over your life....!
regards
Tim
^ ^ ^ ^ is this possible?  :D    ^ ^ ^ ^

b.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Martle wrote:Scenario 3

I want to rip some DVD's on my dual core jobbie and I've already discovered that having BOINC and Nero running at the same time is not on. So, while I do my ripping, is it better to set BOINC on 'Snooze' or close it down completely?
Press snooze it makes BOINC stop working for 1 hour and then it starts up again, better than shutting it down as you might forget to open it back up again :wink:
UBT - Calum Mercer

Post by UBT - Calum Mercer »

How do I make it snooze then?  :?
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Right click on icon on taskbar and hit snooze
UBT - Calum Mercer

I don't see a snooze option on mine - it has run always, run according to preferences and suspend.

Have I missed something again? :?  :roll:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Calum Mercer wrote:I don't see a snooze option on mine - it has run always, run according to preferences and suspend.

Have I missed something again? :?  :roll:

Which version BOINC Manager have you got?

regards,

Tim
UBT - Calum Mercer

Its 5.3.19
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Calum Mercer wrote:Its 5.3.19
Then you need to update to 5.4.11

go to:

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

and download the version you need.

For Windows you can install over the top - don't need to uninstall.

But make sure you EXIT BOINC before running the new install....!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Calum Mercer

Thanks Tim

Now done that and found a way to snooze! :sleepy2: