Which Gfx Card?

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
Barrie

Which Gfx Card?

Post by Barrie »

If I were to fail to think of a better xmas prezzie than an upgrade for my GF8800GT, which would be the best bang-per-buck card ( under £200 ) to replace it with?

Or alternately, which is the cheapest card that's worth getting?

( I'd probably prefer NVidia, but could be persuaded elsewhere... )
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

If Santa can be pursuaded to wait until the New Year, I would hang fire for now.  The new 28nm cards from AMD are due in January. Whilst it is true there is always something better around the corner, on this occasion its well worth waiting a few weeks.

The new cards are the first on 28nm and its a jump from 40nm missing out the 32nm cards. That means the increase in performance compared to 5XXX on 40nm cards is likely to be at least twice and up to four times the performance. All this will be for around the same power consumption.  NVidia are having issues getting their 28nm cards out, and its likely their 28nm offerings will not be available in quantity until Q2 2012, likely to be Summer 2012.

So I would wait until the details of the new AMD 7XXX range are published and reviewed by the likes of http://www.guru3d.com. All the 7XXX range are due out early(ish) January, except the top end 7990 which is likely to be end Q1, around March time.

So unless the existing cards are falling apart, its definitely worth waiting before committing to a buy.

Regards
Zy
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Ahhh thanks.  The old card as fine - it's amazing how well it can cope with fairly moderm games even...

ATI projects are still fairly limited, but I can hang on to the spring if it makes sense like that...

Maybe Santa will fancy a Wii or something for my 3yr old then... :wink:
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

They will be worth looking at - there is an old saying re cards ....  

"AMD makes the hardware, NVidia makes the software"

AMD are closing the gap on software, but its still likely that NVidia software will be more flexible on scientific Projects on this cycle of card design, and 99.99% certain that the AMD 28nm hardware will substantially out-perform NVidia 28nm cards for sheer raw power by a wide margin. The hardware architectural lead AMD have over NVidia is remarkable, and unless NVidia pull their socks up, AMD will grind the consumer side of NVidia into the dust with the 8XXX range 2013/2014.

So if its sheer power for games, and BOINC is a sideline, AMD is without doubt your best option. You will always find a single card overturning that general truism - the NVidia 560Ti is a very good card, very competitive - but by in large AMD stand out clear and away the better on raw power across the range of cards.

If however, your priority is BOINC first and games second .... well, its more difficult as you will exchange raw power in favour of flexibility on project choice by going NVidia - but NVidia will give you best project flexibility with science based projects at the price of lower (credit) output.

Horses for Courses as they say  :wink: