What has happened to the team?

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
MichaelMaggs

What has happened to the team?

Post by MichaelMaggs »

The team seems to have lost momentum over the last few months. There are virtually no postings to this forum any more, and the team's stats pages stop last April.  Probably as a result of lack of interest, the RAC figures are on a long-term downward slide.

Can we recover some of the lost interest?

Michael
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

The monthly team reports stopped last April, (Darren`s department), but we have a full stats service updated hourly.
UBT is still the #1 team in the UK by a long way, and is flourishing, despite your rather derogatory comments.
Last edited by UBT - Rick Horn on Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

In case you have missed them you can find the hourly updated stats here

http://www.ubtstats.co.uk/ubt/UBT.php?c ... oject=comb

The team is also UK number 1 for Users Of The Day, World number 6 and has 5 of the top 6 UK individuals.

http://uotd.org/top_teams.py
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

It seemed like an odd comment from someone who appears to have only been a member for a couple of weeks.

Pretty healthy here, as far as I can see!
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:In case you have missed them you can find the hourly updated stats here

http://www.ubtstats.co.uk/ubt/UBT.php?c ... oject=comb
Out of curiosity, why am I 63rd using the above URL, but 71st on boincstats.com?
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Barrie wrote:Out of curiosity, why am I 63rd using the above URL, but 71st on boincstats.com?
Boincstats do not update hourly so there are often differences during the day but a bigger difference is how the totals are arrived at.

Boincstats includes all your credit, the team stats only include credit where you are a team member. In your case both stats sites include all your credit but for example the person one above you on Boinc stats is one below you on our stats because they are not a team member on every project they run.

Have you explored our stats for all the graphs/forecast milestones etc?
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

No I hadn't - nice work though!
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Barrie wrote:No I hadn't - nice work though!
It's all down to Temujin

http://forum.ukboincteam.com/viewtopic.php?t=444
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Hi all. Thanks for the pointer to the hourly stats, which I hadn't seen.

I've been a member of the team for a long time now, since SETI went over to BOINC in 1999 if I remember correctly. However, I've had a couple of years out and have just returned.  On my return I thought initially that the team might have died.  On investigation, that is clearly not the case but I was and still am concerned about the initial impression.

My comments were certainly not intended to be derogatory. But it may be worth pointing out that a new user who know nothing about us might well not consider the team favourably for these reasons:

1. The main team stats landing page automatically forwards to monthly stats that have not been updated since April. There is no explanation of that, nor are there any useful links on the monthly page. The main page also has some easily-fixable errors (there should be no apostrophe in "its", and “a” should be “an”)

2. The team URL on BOINCStats and elsewhere points to the landing page mentioned above, and there are no other resources apparently available. There are no obvious links at all, so far as I can see, to the hourly stats mentioned above, though I may well have missed something.

Michael
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Hi Michael.
The monthly stats are compiled by Darren, one of our admins, who, for some reason, has not been prominent for some months on the forum. Possibly due to pressure from his day time job.

The hourly stats, and other useful data can be seen on the "Read Me First" section of the forum under "Sigs & Stats".

Regards,
Rick.
Last edited by UBT - Rick Horn on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

MichaelMaggs wrote:My comments were certainly not intended to be derogatory. But it may be worth pointing out that a new user who know nothing about us might well not consider the team favourably for these reasons:

1. The main team stats landing page automatically forwards to monthly stats that have not been updated since April. There is no explanation of that, nor are there any useful links on the monthly page. The main page also has some easily-fixable errors (there should be no apostrophe in "its", and “a” should be “an”)

2. The team URL on BOINCStats and elsewhere points to the landing page mentioned above, and there are no other resources apparently available. There are no obvious links at all, so far as I can see, to the hourly stats mentioned above, though I may well have missed something.
Hi Michael, welcome to the forum. :)

Since I tend to navigate straight here (rather than follow any links), I'd almost completely forgotten about that old team website that Tim used to host (I'm guessing that that is the main page that you're referring to). Now that he's back on the forum again, I'm sure that Tim will take another look at the main site (especially when he reads this). ;)

Oh, and as for the grammatical errors, well I'm not sure which bit of text you're referring to, perhaps you could post a link.  :?

James.
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

The team page on most projects takes you here -

http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/uk-boinc-team.html
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:The team page on most projects takes you here -
http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/uk-boinc-team.html
Which re-directs to Darrens stalled stats  :(

I think I'll edit the team page on the projects where I'm the founder and point them straight at the forum.
A good and valid point there Michael :thumbup:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

MichaelMaggs wrote: The main page also has some easily-fixable errors (there should be no apostrophe in "its", and “a” should be “an”)

Michael
Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum.....

regards
Tim

PS You missed the typo of "provding".... hehehehehehehe

And I'll fix the other errors as well..... :)
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Great. Thanks!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

MichaelMaggs wrote:Great. Thanks!
Hi Michael (and others too !!)

I've re-worded the "main page" and the site now re-directs to the forum (instead of to Darren's "stalled" stats site).

And there's a direct link now to Temujins stats site instead....which we know works :)

Hope that makes it a bit better....

regards
Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Founder wrote:And there's a direct link now to Temujins stats site instead....which we know works :)
you need to put ubt on the end of that url Tim :roll:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Temujin wrote:you need to put ubt on the end of that url Tim :roll:
Yup - figured that out after I'd edited the main page....but then something else cropped up and I couldn't get online to correct it....

Done it now though :)

regards
Tim