Dead Quad :(

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Dead Quad :(

Post by melter65 »

As the title suggests, I found the desktop 'puter with its legs up in the air the other morning. Tried rebooting and repairing from disk to no avail. Read various posts on 'tinternet and it all points to a dead HDD (bios can't find OS, etc)

So until I fit another HDD I'm limping along on laptop :(
Joshrandom

Re: Dead Quad :(

Post by Joshrandom »

melter65 wrote:As the title suggests, I found the desktop 'puter with its legs up in the air the other morning. Tried rebooting and repairing from disk to no avail. Read various posts on 'tinternet and it all points to a dead HDD (bios can't find OS, etc)

So until I fit another HDD I'm limping along on laptop :(
I feel your pain Mr Melter, computers are great until they stop working. :x

Before you try a new HDD though, you might want to try reformatting your old one and then reinstalling your OS, that has often fixed things for me when the PC won't boot. Good luck!  :wink:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Good advice, Mr Random, but I have 2 folders of photo's I forgot to back up and my itunes library I want to try and save. Plus I didn't get the Vista disk with the computer  :(
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

melter65 wrote:Good advice, Mr Random, but I have 2 folders of photo's I forgot to back up and my itunes library I want to try and save. Plus I didn't get the Vista disk with the computer  :(
Well you might try downloading and burning an Ubuntu installation ISO file to CD (assuming that's possible on your laptop), then booting off of that (without installing) and using it to copy your files across to your laptop. It would be a tricky operation, but since it's something that I managed to do when I was in similar situation last month, it can't be too difficult.  :wink:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I left it to the clever computer mending man! He's managed to save most of my data from the old hdd and will transfer it across to a brand new 500GB hdd with a clean install of Vista, all for the cheapo price of £85  :D