Hello!

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
Keithj

Hello!

Post by Keithj »

It says in the sticky that I should post a message to prove I'm not a bot.

I'm not a bot!

I've been running SETI since long before BOINC, and some of my computers run Einstein and Spinhenge.   Sadly, my trusty laptop crashes if I run BOINC on it, so that one's not working so hard.

I hope BOINC has transferred in my credit from my previous "team" - which seems to have been pretty much defunct.

I'm 62, semi-retired but still active as a preacher and teacher, private pilot, amateur astronomer, grandfather, radio amateur, and technotoy-collector.
Keithj

Post by Keithj »

I just noticed that the FAQ asks me to use the same name on the forum that I use for the projects.  

That's not going to work, since I'm using different names on different projects - "Keith Jillings" on SETI, "Keef" on Einstein, and "Keith" on Spinhenge.   They are all linked to UKBT though.
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Hi Keith
Welcome to the Team, you may be semi-retired, but I wish I was as active as you.
The most important thing is to have the same email address in all the projects you do.  That will bring all your credits together once one of your computers up or downloads work from each project.  Several names will just cause you to be reported like this http://boincstats.com/stats/boinc_user_ ... &id=153993 on the stats sites.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi and welcome!

'Ford Motor Company' wasn't exactly 'blazing a trail' was it!

Just had a quick look around and, although the stats sites don't agree yet, you have joined us on all the projects you mentioned above. Well done for that! - Not everyone works out how to do it in one go! :)
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

Hi Keith and Welcome to the Team. :D

Jimmy
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

welcome to the team :D
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

welcome aboard :lol:
Martle

Post by Martle »

Hi Keith

Great to have you on board.  :wink:

You'll find the guys on here to be really helpful if you have a problem which makes this team the best in the Universe. If aliens were out there trying to make contact by crunching their own version of Boinc, this is the team that they would choose.  :lol:

I'm rambling again aren't I .... ? :roll:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Martle wrote: I'm rambling again aren't I .... ? :roll:
Ramble on! It's been quiet here today! :D

One for all you old rockers - "Ramble On" was a track on what 1969 classic album?

(If you Google you're banned!)

Image Image

Martle

Post by Martle »

Led Zepplin 1 .. It was their first album. I went to see them in Birmingham three weeks after releasing it. I'll even tell you what the weather was like.  :wink:
Keithj

Post by Keithj »

Educational round here, innit!
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Very!
I've just looked at your stats again.  Einstein still uses a different Cross Project ID.  Have you got a computer that cruches Seti to do a Einstein WU or 2.  With the same email on all projects, that will bring all your credits together.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Martle wrote:Led Zepplin 1 .. It was their first album. I went to see them in Birmingham three weeks after releasing it. I'll even tell you what the weather was like.  :wink:
No - but close!

Image Image

Martle

Post by Martle »

Led Zep II then.  :?

Perhaps this isn't so educational after all.  :D
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Correct - at least you didn't google it!

1 Pack of Hobnobs to you!

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Have you changed your email address on the projects all to the same one yet :?:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Keithj wrote:I just noticed that the FAQ asks me to use the same name on the forum that I use for the projects.  

That's not going to work, since I'm using different names on different projects - "Keith Jillings" on SETI, "Keef" on Einstein, and "Keith" on Spinhenge.   They are all linked to UKBT though.

Hi Keith,

We suggest you use the same name if only for "continuity" so everyone who reads your forum messages can also see the contribution you are making to the Team.

It also helps us to ensure that as a Team member, you get access to some of the "Team members only" section, which is where we plot to take over the world, indulge ourselves in our own greatness and share around a few Plain Chocolate Hobnobs... :D

regards and belated "Welcome" to the team.

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Hello!

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Keithj wrote:It says in the sticky that I should post a message to prove I'm not a bot.

I'm not a bot!

I've been running SETI since long before BOINC, and some of my computers run Einstein and Spinhenge.   Sadly, my trusty laptop crashes if I run BOINC on it, so that one's not working so hard.

I hope BOINC has transferred in my credit from my previous "team" - which seems to have been pretty much defunct.

I'm 62, semi-retired but still active as a preacher and teacher, private pilot, amateur astronomer, grandfather, radio amateur, and technotoy-collector.
Hi Keith

Glad you're not a bot !!
Sadly, my trusty laptop crashes if I run BOINC on it, so that one's not working so hard.
The trouble with some laptops is that BOINC can cause some CPU's to run very hot and some laptops don't really have enough cooling - which can result in BOINC crashing, (or in a worst case, the laptop casing can be damaged - one former UBT member emailed me to say that they had given up BOINC as the laptop they used had been melted and that "we" were to blame.....! )

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Re: Hello!

UBT - Timbo wrote: the laptop they used had been melted and that "we" were to blame.....! )
Serves them right for not doing some home work 1st of all :wink:
Martle

Post by Martle »

If it's any help, I've been using a laptop to crunch 24/7 for over three years and have had problems with overheating. I've resolved these by doing the following:

Once a month, removing the dust from the fan intake with a vacuum cleaner.

Elevating the machine from the surface of the desk on small blocks to ensure good circulation of cool air.

Much of the heat is trapped underneath the screen and keyboard so it helps to run the machine with the lid raised.

Finally, I monitor the temp with SPEEDFAN that puts a very accurate temp sensor in your task tray so you can easily monitor things. (It's a free download).

Hope this helps.  :wink:
Keithj

Post by Keithj »

Thanks for those - I've got Speedfan running on the desktop (because a suicidal moth got into the case and immolated itself in the video card fan with the inevitable results).   I must put it on the laptop, too.

The "crashing" isn't to do with overheating, or I don't think it is.   It seems to be related to the screensaver and the monitor "power down": once that kicks in and the display blanks (after the preset time), the desktop won't come back on if BOINC is running.   It's absolutely fine otherwise.

I ran BOINC on the laptop for a while last year, and had the same problem so I removed it.   Then the hard drive died and I replaced that and reinstalled everything.   I wondered if BOINC would be OK following that:  the answer's NO.

It's an old laptop (IBM ThinkPad R31) but it does all I want of it...   It's not a big loss to BOINC.