Multiple GPUs

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
John Sheridan

Multiple GPUs

Post by John Sheridan »

I'm running a gtx580 and a gtx460 in my pc.  So far so good.  However, I've just started running primegrid cuda on the 460 which takes it to 99% gpu usage and have found that this causes bad stuttering on my primary display even if there are no cuda tasks running on that card.   Any ideas how to fix this?
Temujin

Re: Multiple GPUs

Post by Temujin »

You've a couple of options there John.
Set your preferences not to use the GPU while the computer is in use.
or
run it on the GTX580 instead, the better the card the less stutter you get.
John Sheridan

Post by John Sheridan »

Thanks for the suggestions.  My primary display is plugged into the 580 and it is normally running other cuda tasks.  It's only when primegrid cuda is running on the 460 that I see stuttering on the 580 - even with no other boinc tasks running.  I realise I could just pause the tasks but I'm trying to understand why this is happening.
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Try swapping the card slots, so that the 460 is in slot zero with the display plugged into the 460, and the 580 is in slot one.

Regards
Zy
John Sheridan

Post by John Sheridan »

Swapping the cards around is a little difficult as they're plumbed in but I'll try a few different cable configs to see if that has any effect.
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

In an ideal world the card you want to use for the screen would be in the motherboard gpu slot zero, leaving the other to crunch unhindered in slot one.  

If you are primarily a gamer that would be the 580 in slot zero with the screen attached, and the 460 in slot one.

If you are not a gamer and therefore don't need the power of the 580 in primary gpu slot, then the 460 should go in slot zero with the screen attached, and the 580 in slot one.

The 460 will cope with virtually any game - unless you are into Ultra High end gaming worrying about every last pixel/millisecond. The latter configuration will ensure the 580 is undisturbed, and left as a pure cruncher, as motherboards by default will use the GPU(s) in slot zero, in the latter case via the 460.

It may or may not help with your stated issue, but it will keep things tidy and maximise what you have, so it's worth the effort to do a one time switch around if needed.

Regards
Zy