GPU Grid Credit

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
Barrie

GPU Grid Credit

Post by Barrie »

Is it just me or does GPUGrid give a silly amount of credit? ( at least compared to Seti and Einstein GPU WUs )

I think I've only done 2 GPUGrid WUs, compared to god knows how many Rosetta ones... and if Set/Einstein gave as much credit for the same GPU time, then those scores should be much higher...

Shame I need to leave my PC on 24/7 to finish the WUs before the deadline...
Temujin

Re: GPU Grid Credit

Post by Temujin »

Barrie wrote:Is it just me or does GPUGrid give a silly amount of credit? ( at least compared to Seti and Einstein GPU WUs )
GPUGrid may give more credit than seti & einstein GPU but to be honest, it's a fairly low paying GPU project, it's just that seti & einstein pay even less.
I've not done any seti or einstein GPU work but I have done plenty of GPU WUs for other projects, including GPUGrid.
I think I've only done 2 GPUGrid WUs, compared to god knows how many Rosetta ones... and if Set/Einstein gave as much credit for the same GPU time, then those scores should be much higher...
I think it comes down to 2 things, how efficiently the GPU code is written and how well a projects calculations suit a particular GPU type.
For example, the ATI GPU app at milkyway is about as efficient as it can be and the calculations couldn't be better suited to an ATI card, therefore 1 HD4870 can get about 95,000 credits per day and there are now much faster cards than the HD4870.  Similar credits are acheivable running the dnetc project also.
At primegrid, the PPS nvidia app also meets both conditions with nvidia GPUs reaching the heady heights of +700,000 credits a day.

GPUGrids' applications are possibly not as efficient or more likely their calculations are not as well suited to GPUs as the above projects.
Shame I need to leave my PC on 24/7 to finish the WUs before the deadline...
try some of the projects mentioned above where WUs range from 10-30 minutes (milyway) to an hour or 2 at dnetc and primegrid (depending on your GPU)
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

For a long time GPUGrid was the top "paying" NV Project (pretty well a no brainer), until PrimeGRID came along with its recent NV app. GPUGrid also remains one of the few genuine science apps for GPUs, crunching models for medical research. All the others "paying" more at present are both ATI and Maths based (including MW), not science based.

So NV GPU Crunchers at the top "paying" end have two choices - science  via GPUGrid, or Maths via PrimeGRID(the latter "paying"more). Both will knock into touch in pure credits terms all other NV based GPU Projects.

GPUGrid NV WUs are usually very good, they spend a lot of time on them. There was a few wobbles over the last few months as they switched to a new set of WUs, but its all but settled again. GPUGrid have an ATI app in the wings, but at present its performance does not meet the mark as yet.

They found, as did AQUA, that science Projects still have a ways to go in support from the ATI Compute software. APP has helped, but until the next couple of versions of the AMD GPU SDK are deployed, they will not get further, its far more complex than Maths based Projects. GPUGrid believe it will be mid to end 2011 before they get near to being able to improve the pending ATI app - similar story from AQUA for the same reason.

Regards
Zy
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Cheers!

I'm not too keen on spending my national grid electrons on pure mathsy projects, but was tempted with Milky Way previously...
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Bah, so neither of my GPUs will do the double precision maths needed for MW, and my quadro card can't finish a GPUGrid WU before their tight deadlines... C'est la vie...