Model failed

Section supporting all the various Climate Change projects: CPDN, CPDN Beta, Quake Catcher.
ajh

Model failed

Post by ajh »

So much for that, after 5 months of running my BBC model coughed and fell over. I don't think I shall be starting another one so I've started a new WU on SAP instead.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Good luck with SAP :wink:
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

When running something with a long-duration WU like the climate projects, it's worth taking a backup just in case something happens - I do this weekly (or fortnightly, if I'm feeling lazy).  I'm too lazy to back up SAP, but I really should.

* Right-click on the icon, 'exit'
* Navigate to c:\program files\ using My Computer or Windows Explorer
* Right-click on \climate change experiment\ (or \boinc\ as applicable), 'copy', 'paste'
* (if you get a 'files in use' error, then reboot and repeat the above steps)
* Now that you have finished the backup, you can resume the model by running the manager again.

While Boinc is shut down, I also take the opportunity to defrag, reboot, and also update any software which needs updating.
UBT - Halifax-lad

We don't shut BOINC down most of us, its on 24/7, if something crashes on me thats fine I just grab another WU from which ever project failed
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

I think Mike's advice is the best, I also backup on a regular basis.  I install boinc to a data drive, not my C:\ drive in its own directory
off the root  i.e. d:\boinc.  
It is then very easy to close Boinc Manager down and backup to another data drive.
I tend to format any drive into 3 or more partitions, and try to have all my data on drive D: and not as Microsoft like, scattered all over the C:\ drive.
That way I can archive drive D:\ to a CD ROM for safety.
I also don't bother backing up any WU except the 3 climate projects, it's not worth it.
UBT - Halifax-lad

I don't backup BOINC at all its not worth it, if BOINC was suppose to be backed up the facility would be there, so any time a CPDN WU crashes on me its gone for good, but doesn't matter as a new one is always around the corner. Don't think I have had that many crash on me yet

edit: maybe one day CPDN will introduce a backup function or even ask for one