Gutted :(

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
binlala

Gutted :(

Post by binlala »

I recently bought a new cpu and mobo... Athlon 64 FX-53 nice bored aswell :D

anyway.... problem is im getting lots of different problems... sometimes itll turn on sometimes it won't...

what im looking for is some advice on power ratings ? what power supply should I have ?? im hoping the problems are down to power...

Im a technician at a school.... and well the amount of work I do I just want to come home to working computers :(

Ive currently got about 4 computers and there all AMD but not 64bit...so I don't know what power I need for my FX ??

any help ?
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Go for the highest rating you can find that way any power supply unit you buy is going to be future proof too.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Gutted :(

Post by UBT - Timbo »

binlala wrote:I recently bought a new cpu and mobo... Athlon 64 FX-53 nice bored aswell :D

anyway.... problem is im getting lots of different problems... sometimes itll turn on sometimes it won't...

what im looking for is some advice on power ratings ? what power supply should I have ?? im hoping the problems are down to power...

Im a technician at a school.... and well the amount of work I do I just want to come home to working computers :(

Ive currently got about 4 computers and there all AMD but not 64bit...so I don't know what power I need for my FX ??

any help ?
Some things come to mind:

If it's crunching on BOINC then this can make some strenuous demands on the PSU - I've "lost" four PC's recently due to PSU going "t*ts up".

Likwise, some of the newer 7,200 and 10,000 rpm hard drives are not exactly "efficient" and they too need plenty of power.

Likewise if you have a chunky PCI Express card, then if it needs an additional connector, for the fan cooling, then this also makes extra demands on the PSU.

And all of this adds up significantly.

So, a nice juicy, fat, 500W or 600W (or more if you can afford it) PSU should do the trick. Some are available on eBay around the £50+ mark.

Likewise there's a few at places like ebuyer.com and Maplins, but they tend to be a bit limited in the quality of the ranges available - and some of the cheapies, I wouldn't touch with a barge pole - been caught out with them before.

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Can't beat CCL there one of the best places to get stuff from
binlala

Post by binlala »

well Ive got a Western digital 7200 hd...

Ive got an fast cpu cooler...

and a dvd drive on this ??

all this runing off a 350w hiper psu ??
UBT - Halifax-lad

binlala wrote:well Ive got a Western digital 7200 hd...

Ive got an fast cpu cooler...

and a dvd drive on this ??

all this runing off a 350w hiper psu ??
Definatly get a new one like Tim said a 500w - 600w one can get them quite cheap now a days
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Make sure your power supply is a ATX2 type with the uprated 12V rails.  You can still purchase the old ATX type with 500w or more that will not work with modern motherboards, and high demand video cards.  Look for the 24pin motherboard plugs to start.  Cases are still being sold with 420w or more power supplies that are not ATX2 type.
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

You can check your psu voltage levels either on your desktop or through bios, if any of the voltages are below the stated voltage then you need more power = bigger = more W = obvious.

you want at least 500W PSU for your system, a 350 will be strained to the max, especially in the summer when things are a lot warmer :oops:
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

don't buy a cheap one.
you will just be throwing your cash away.
Hiper, OCZ, Tagan (what i use) are all very good indeed + other branded ones.
If you are looking at going sli on your graphics then you will need to spend at least £65.
My friends are using hiper 580W & tagan 580W both fine with AMD X2, 2 x HD and SLi.
try here.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ ... plies.html
binlala

Post by binlala »

im thinking of getting the top one on this link :

probably buy it from ebuyer... just have to wait till the end of the month :D

then itll be awn.... might buy a pentium D aswell just to shake mmy rac up on simap  :wink:  :oops:
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

very nice psu.
just remember with the modular ones that you will need enough room between psu and the backs of the CD/DVD drives.
Just thought i would point that out before you tried to fit and ended up with the sinking fealing.
binlala

Post by binlala »

I think the case maybe big enough :D
UBT - Halifax-lad

Yup think it is
binlala

Post by binlala »

PAY-DAY

8)
binlala

Post by binlala »

binlala wrote:im thinking of getting the top one on this link :

probably buy it from ebuyer... just have to wait till the end of the month :D

then itll be awn.... might buy a pentium D aswell just to shake mmy rac up on simap  :wink:  :oops:
payed 64.95 for this power supply in pcworld :) witch I think is worth the 10quid over as I have someone I can go shout at if it breaks :D also delivery was nothing :D also picked up two sticks of 512mb ddr ram :D

total cost 124.95 squids :D:D:D
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

should be a flying machine by the time you have finished then 8)
binlala

Post by binlala »

well the ram is in...the power supply is in...

and im not in my house for the next 2weeks...so overclocking is on hold until im home and can monitor it  :D

other than that shes simaping again  :D