Viewing progress of Work being done

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
dezcore

Viewing progress of Work being done

Post by dezcore »

This might seem daft and I apologize if i haven't even managed to put this in the right forum section but,

Is it possible to find the progress of the current work unit from a different pc - ie, im at work and would have thought my seti work unit would have finished by now.  seti tells me that the work unit is still in progress and i'm wondering why it hasn't registered as complete.

Anyone offer any solutions or will i need to update when i get home?

Thanks
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Viewing progress of Work being done

Post by UBT - Timbo »

dezcore wrote:This might seem daft and I apologize if i haven't even managed to put this in the right forum section but,

Is it possible to find the progress of the current work unit from a different pc - ie, im at work and would have thought my seti work unit would have finished by now.  seti tells me that the work unit is still in progress and i'm wondering why it hasn't registered as complete.

Anyone offer any solutions or will i need to update when i get home?

Thanks

Hi "dezcore"

You can set up a remote function to "see" things from another PC, but you'd only see what you can see on the PC directly. A VPN channel can be created from your work PC for instance (and assuming your work admins don't mind this...!)

If it's "in progress" then there are various reasons:

1) There's been a brown-out or power cut at home and your PC has shut down (and maybe hasn't restarted again)

2) The WU is particularly long and is still crunching. Some WU's are longer than others and so depending on the data within the WU, it may take longer than you expect.

3) Someone else is using your computer and hence there's less "idle time" for the WU to be completed.

BTW: Do you have an actual name?

regards

Tim
Temujin

Re: Viewing progress of Work being done

Post by Temujin »

dezcore wrote:Is it possible to find the progress of the current work unit from a different pc - ie, im at work and would have thought my seti work unit would have finished by now.  seti tells me that the work unit is still in progress and i'm wondering why it hasn't registered as complete.
Yes, its possible for 1 PC to monitor the boinc WUs on another PC.
BUT
You need direct network access between the 2 PCs
I'm guessing that your seti WU is on your PC at home and you want to monitor its progress from work.
You would need your home PC to be on the net either permanantly or at the times you want to monitor it AND you would need to open up certain ports to allow your work PC through your firewall (assuming you have a firewall).
boincmgr.exe itself could do it for you or you could get boincview.
Let us know where the 2 PCs are, the network setups at each end and what firewalls are involved.
dezcore

Post by dezcore »

My name's Derek.  :oops:  but please call me Dez

Pc running boinc is indeed at home, 4mb broadband connection (free from work - woo) and is firewalled and i would have no trouble opening ports on it.

The other pc however is at work, and the usage policy is pretty strict for what i can do with it.  Probably wouldn't be worth the hassle from work - which is a shame.

The work unit has been running some 20hrs (usage time not real time) or so before i left for work at 9am and had just 3hrs usage to go.

As a newbie guess i'm just impatient  :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

When a WU is done it is not reported back straight away to the servers, so that is probably why you have not seen it come back in yet as BOINC has queued it up and will send it back when its ready to do so
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

dezcore wrote:The other pc however is at work, and the usage policy is pretty strict for what i can do with it.  Probably wouldn't be worth the hassle from work - which is a shame.
Hi Dez
right, its no such a bad setup.
presumeably, you have internet access at work (you must have to have posted here)
All you would need to do is
allow http through your firewall
setup a http server on your home PC (apache or IIS)
install PHP on it
get hold of BoincPhpGui
setup some security to stop other people getting into it
and bobs your uncle
easy eh :D

I've got the same setup on my home PC and can monitor boinc on it from work.
Home PC doesn't need to be anything special, mines just a P4 2.5GHz

let us know if you want to go further with it

PS
there are no doubt other ways of doing it but thats how I've got mine working.
I would guess you could just open up the boinc port(s) for your work IP
dezcore

Post by dezcore »

thanks for the info guys i'll look into it over the next few days.
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

For talking between machines I'd suggest a package called VNC.

1) Its free. Google till you find it.

2) It gives you a view over whatever is on your home PC screen.

3) Unlike Remote Desktop it doesn't run in a separate workspace.

Use it all the time to view work PC from home (plus some old servers), and to view home PC from work. May need to open up a couple of ports thru firewalls. (5800-5802, 5900-5902).

I set it up with a different password than those I use to log into machines and set machines to show blank screen screensaver with password after 15 mins no activity.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

RodEllery wrote:For talking between machines I'd suggest a package called VNC.
Yep, forgot VNC and I even use it home->work thru a VPN link