August Weekend?

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
Darren

August Weekend?

Post by Darren »

Is there to be no August Crunch?
There is a Bank Holdiday so it could be a three day one?

I vote for Seti or Simap
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: August Weekend?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Dazza wrote:Is there to be no August Crunch?
There is a Bank Holdiday so it could be a three day one?

I vote for Seti or Simap

Hi Darren,

Sounds fair to me.

Think some of the members might be against doing another SETI crunch (as we've already done 2 this year). So maybe SIMAP's turn again

EDIT: Next part removed as it was the right facts but for the wrong project  :oops:

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Post by UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke »

UBT - Timbo wrote:EDIT: The following info is INCORRECT - "excepting that you need a fast PC and 1Gb of memory" - in fact this relates to SAP, not SIMAP
That's a shame. Time was it would run on the old 266 P2s I had lurking about when nothing else would return results from them in a decent time.

Anyway, happy to join in.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

System requirements for participating in the BOINC SIMAP project

Medium bandwidth internet access, due to typical workunit and result sizes (estimated for approx. 1 hour of calculation time):
Workunit 2 MB
Result 0.5..1.5 MB
64 MB RAM for the SIMAP client
64 MB RAM free space on your harddisc for the SIMAP client
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Post by UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke »

That's all very well but I've just tried it on the K6 550 and it's giving computation errors.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Well at least you now know that it won't work with SIMAP
Darren

Post by Darren »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Think some of the members might be against doing another SETI crunch (as we've already done 2 this year). So maybe SIMAP's turn again

regards,

Tim
SETI did come 2nd in the last poll that was run!
But I don't mind which project we run it for
UBT - Halifax-lad

Poll time again  :lol:  :wink:
UBT-Shaman

Post by UBT-Shaman »

I personally would avoid SIMAP if it has such a high spec requirement. Seems a bit daft to do a Crunch that restricts a lot of the members to being unable to participate!

And a SETI crunch would take us that bit closer to UK #1 Slot!

Robin
x
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT-Shaman wrote:I personally would avoid SIMAP if it has such a high spec requirement. Seems a bit daft to do a Crunch that restricts a lot of the members to being unable to participate!

Robin
x
thats the point of an "S" club crunch theres more than 1 project out there with an S on the front of it so everyone can participate. Even if there was a crunch with a not suitable project for all, then you could crunch something alternative for the duration of the crunch as everything else

Edit: PS, looking forward to number 1 at SETI
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-Shaman wrote:I personally would avoid SIMAP if it has such a high spec requirement. Seems a bit daft to do a Crunch that restricts a lot of the members to being unable to participate!

Robin
x
Hi Robin

SIMAP doesn't have such a high requirement - I got it wrong  :oops: - it was SAP that requires 1Gb memory.

regards

Tim
UBT-Shaman

Post by UBT-Shaman »

Ah that's ok then! If it is that way I'm all for SIMAP :D

R
x
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:it was SAP that requires 1Gb memory.
1GB is only a suggestion, I've got SAP running on several 512Mb machines, also a bunch 1GB dual CPU machines
Swissnic

Post by Swissnic »

Same here - Running SAP on a 1 gig machine (like the laptop i'm using now) means the machine is totally usable whilst crunching.

If you run it on a 512 machine, it become very sluggish.  So what I do is schedule SAP to run from 6pm to 9am on the 512mb machine at work - i.e. while noone is using them, and run 24/7 on my 1/2/4Gb machines...

If you have a dual-core / hyperthreaded processor, 1gb is just enough to run two wu's together.

On my quad core with 4 gb ram, 4 wu's running together with OS use about 2.2gb ram max, so the more proc's you have, the lower the requirement becomes...  :lol:

Hope this helps a few more people join us...  As Synergy are posting about 20k-25k credits today - about 5k-10k more than us!  If we don't really pull out the stops now, there is a chance we won't catch them up and therefore won't make the #1 spot...  :(

But that is highly unlikely knowing this team!!!   :lol:  8)