Broken fan on ATI

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
Ice

Broken fan on ATI

Post by Ice »

I've got a HD4870 working again which had a dead fan. I've used this fan which is compatible with some ATI and NVIDIA;

AK-VC05 Akasa Freedom Force

I got on on sale from PC World at under £30. Cheapest UK web site for this is http://store.cbccomputers.com/products. ... no=AK-VC05
Ben

Post by Ben »

Nice find Ice!

Looks a monster of a heatsink, a bit like my ATI4850x2  :shock:

Still, it should keep it cool that's for sure! Good to see the 4870 is up and running  :D
Ice

Post by Ice »

Ben wrote:Looks a monster of a heatsink, a bit like my ATI4850x2  :shock:
Yes, It's a bit of a bulk and rather limiting as to which box I can put it in due to it's bulk. However, it does have a nice LED glow which I might notice if I visited my garage at night, and it's certainly working OK so far  :thumbright:
Ice

Post by Ice »

I've had another fan failure on another ATI, a HD4850. This time I replaced the faulty fan it with an ordinary fan from an old tower case. I attached it to the ATI with wire to hold it in place and it seems to be working OK, although I've reduced the overclock on the GPU since this setup isn't as efficient as the original fan.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Ice wrote:This time I replaced the faulty fan it with an ordinary fan from an old tower case. I attached it to the ATI with wire to hold it in place and it seems to be working OK
I did that with an HD4870 :D
I managed to catch the screws on the fan into the cooler fins, works a treat :thumbup:
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

I've replaced fans in the past, and found that aiming the fan at 45 degree's to the heat sink, cools it a LOT more than directly on it flat..
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Catching up on threads having just arrived, and it struck me on reading this one the dogged inventiveness & determination to crunch on in BOINC'land, is amazing.
've replaced fans in the past, and found that aiming the fan at 45 degree's to the heat sink, cools it a LOT more than directly on it flat..
I attached it to the ATI with wire to hold it in place and it seems to be working OK
I managed to catch the screws on the fan into the cooler fins, works a treat
Love it  8)

Regards
Zy
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Very true..

I'd love to have lots of old pc parts and tie-wrap them together for crunching machines :)