Windows XP password

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
Temujin

Windows XP password

Post by Temujin »

hi all
We've had a chap leave our company on Friday and he was meant to reset the password on his PC but he didn't.

So, his PC is just sat there doing nothing, we can't past the logon screen.

To make matters worse, his PC is one that should be running boinc (I knew I should've installed as a service).

Anybody know how to get past the password on Windows XP Pro
Anything short of a reformat would be real handy
Francis McDermott
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Francis McDermott »

I suppose you have tried calling him?

Was he logged on as Administrator, or as another user. If another user, is the Administrator account disabled?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Windows XP password

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Temujin wrote:hi all
We've had a chap leave our company on Friday and he was meant to reset the password on his PC but he didn't.

So, his PC is just sat there doing nothing, we can't past the logon screen.

To make matters worse, his PC is one that should be running boinc (I knew I should've installed as a service).

Anybody know how to get past the password on Windows XP Pro
Anything short of a reformat would be real handy
Hi John,

There are software packages you can buy to de-crypt the XP user password.

Alternatively, if the Admin password can be used, then you can log in and delete the user (after moving/deleting any relevant stuff from the machine).

Of course, if he's contactable, and can provide the info, that would save a lot of bother...!

EDIT: Just thought - if you can get to the BIOS, then you might be able to boot the PC from the XP CD...or even  Linux CD (like Knoppix).

2nd EDIT: Pull the HDD out of the machine, make it a slave (remove the jumper) and then install into another PC.

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Re: Windows XP password

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Alternatively, if the Admin password can be used, then you can log in and delete the user (after moving/deleting any relevant stuff from the machine).
Nope, we don't know that either  :?
EDIT: Just thought - if you can get to the BIOS, then you might be able to boot the PC from the XP CD...or even  Linux CD (like Knoppix).

2nd EDIT: Pull the HDD out of the machine, make it a slave (remove the jumper) and then install into another PC.
the server guys are trying both of those right now.
The boot from XP disk bombs out before we can get to the install/repair options, so that aint gonna work.
The PC currently has its HD out and they're playing with it in the server room (so far they've confirmed that its useless at football and poker :D ).
Of course, if he's contactable, and can provide the info, that would save a lot of bother...!
I've left a message, should get an answer tomorrow.
Guess I should've made sure we had the passwords before he left  :oops:

Not bothered about the work on there, we can get that back from tape.
But its a 500 SAP credits a day machine and boinc has been down since wednesday, thats ~2500 credits lost :(
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

use a password reset disk - I'll fish it out and upload it to one of my sites and pass a link soon as :wink:

Done Try This  3Mb zip

Note. If you reset the password, any users NTFS encrypted files will not work for obvious reasons :roll:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:use a password reset disk - I'll fish it out and upload it to one of my sites and pass a link soon as :wink:

Done Try This  3Mb zip
Ta Piez, but
My server guys have done it  :thumbup:
Seems they put the HD into another XP machine as a slave, then ran some password cracking software on it which gave them the option to change the password. No need to crack it, just changed it to our defaults.
Nice work lads Image
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Take a copy of the one I've passed, it goes straight in as a floppy boot disk, no need to remove the HD, done in a few secs  8)
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:Take a copy of the one I've passed, it goes straight in as a floppy boot disk, no need to remove the HD, done in a few secs  8)
Cheers mate  :thumbup:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Temujin wrote:Ta Piez, but
My server guys have done it  :thumbup:
Seems they put the HD into another XP machine as a slave, then ran some password cracking software on it which gave them the option to change the password. No need to crack it, just changed it to our defaults.
Nice work lads
Hi John,

Now all you need do is phone him up and say "boo-hoo" - we cracked your password and then found loads of pictures of naked girlies - no, better still - naked MEN..... :oops: !!!

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Now all you need do is phone him up and say "boo-hoo" - we cracked your password and then found loads of pictures of naked girlies - no, better still - naked MEN..... :oops: !!!
:D
our server guys have the task of checking all the sites that the users visit and banning inappropriate ones.
Its such a bind checking all those images at times  :D

And you wouldn't believe how stupid some people are about it. Our guys will see something dodgy and ban the site and then watch as the user tries to access the original site several times and then try to find similar sites. This can go on for days sometimes untill it sinks in or they get the phone call "can you come and explain these sites you've been visiting"
UBT - PiezPiedPy

You sly lot of grasses  :lol:  :lol: