Transfer of CPDN credits

Section supporting all the various Climate Change projects: CPDN, CPDN Beta, Quake Catcher.
Robert Boon

Transfer of CPDN credits

Post by Robert Boon »

Can anyone tell me why it is that as far I am aware, uniquely, CPDN transfers all its credits when an individual changes teams?

If CPDN can do it, why don't other projects do it as well.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Other projects (SETI) did not want to do this as it was deemed unfair to teams.

The thinking behind it was to stop people with big credits trying to influence what happens within a team.

Also they wanted it so that any work you did for that team stayed with that team so that if you decided to leave the team could still retain the work you had done for them, seen as though you were a member of a particular team for any given time.

Don't know why CPDN don't do it like that and have it the other way around. As for the other projects they have just followed the lead from SETI.

Does that help :?:
Robert Boon

Post by Robert Boon »

Thanks for the reply

Could it be that CPDN decided to be different as they are the only British based BOINC project and believes in a Darwinian winner takes all philosphy.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Go British :P

Have no real idea why there must be a reason but I don't know it
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I think it's a bit unfair, but it worked well for us this week :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Robert Boon wrote:Could it be that CPDN decided to be different as they are the only British based BOINC project and believes in a Darwinian winner takes all philosphy.

I think it might be because for a given CPDN WU, you get credits for each trickle you upload.

And I guess that trying to keep track of individuals credits from a single WU as members leave and join other teams might be tricky - not impossible - but tricky.

Think BBC CCE is the same as CPDN when it comes to credits leaving a team when the member leaves.

There is a choice made by the project admins as to how they want the team credits to be calculated - and other projects do it differently.

SETI changed their system when they moved to BOINC, because with SETI Classic, each member could build up their points with one team, leave, join another and then the team rankings all went to cock.

Most yanks didn't like that, as they "thought" that some non-US teams might beat the US ones :wink: So that maybe why they came up with this new system.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Steve Taylor

Post by UBT - Steve Taylor »

with this in mind can anyone think of ways to attract Cpdn users to our Wonderful team ? Obviously the fantastic Web Site and Forum Help.
Keep up the good work to all those who are making it happen its appreciated
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Steve Taylor wrote:with this in mind can anyone think of ways to attract Cpdn users to our Wonderful team ? Obviously the fantastic Web Site and Forum Help.
Keep up the good work to all those who are making it happen its appreciated
All I have done is changed my sig over to the UBT Logo, and made it click-able to bring people to the forum, under my banner ad is a link to the join button for people to press.

Hopefully just posting a few helpful messages here and there will get people to come over here and have a look. I don't mean come and look at us posts, just helping out and participating in the forums
Robert Boon

Post by Robert Boon »

Looking at the top 100 UK CPDN crunchers and their team affliations shows the following distribution:

Team CF 8
United Kingdom 20
OCuk Overclockers UK 9
Matrox Users 7
UBT 2
Other teams 30
No team 24

Just attracting one or two of those not attached to a team would be a massive boost as you need 200k credits to make the UK CPDN top 100!

Oddly the top CPDN crunchers seem less inclined to join teams as by comparison only 5 of the top 100 UK Seti crunchers are not members of teams.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Steve Taylor wrote:with this in mind can anyone think of ways to attract Cpdn users to our Wonderful team ? Obviously the fantastic Web Site and Forum Help. Keep up the good work to all those who are making it happen its appreciated
Hi Steve,

I personally think that the "lack" of support on the web for members of "UNITED KINGDOM" and "Team CF" might be one way for our team to attract their members.

Possibly this might be one reason why a recent member of "UNITED KINGDOM" joined us. (Have to wait for Keith to join our forum and perhaps tell us why he joined !)

And as those two teams are mostly made up of CPDN members, so if more of their members "came over", their respective credits would count towards our overall total, and the members would still be "involved" with a significant team and benefit from the forum and team site.

A truly, "win, win" scenario...!

regards,

Tim