New credit system at Rosetta

A range of Biological/Medical Science projects that need our help, such as: Rosetta, Ralph
UBT - Halifax-lad

New credit system at Rosetta

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Here is a overview of the new credit system at Rosetta.

Pay particular attention to the 1st 3 lines of text that explain that the old credit system is still used at the same time and is exported to the stats sites for now
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

David Kim (one of the Rosetta staff, who is the person with the task of changing the credit system) has the following question and would like feedback on the thread:

Code: Select all

I'm waiting for things to settle down and also, I've been busy trying to backdate the work based credits and I also need to set up some new experiments to run. Plus, I had to play soccer tonight. It is still under discussion whether or not to use the backdated work based credits for the new total work credit column (which will be separate from the standard total credit column). There are three options:

1. use them for the new total work credit column on the top user, host, and team pages.
2. not use them and start accumulating the work credits starting with the standard totals (but still as a new column).
3. not use them and start accumulating from scratch.
http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum ... hp?id=2121

Personally I've gone for #1 best, #2 OK but not ideal, and #3 not good...

I suspect #2 will be the compromise that will be picked in the long run.

I've already asked Synergy to give David feedback, and thought you guys might want to do the same.
UBT - Halifax-lad

I have posted a reply to the moaners & also to the admin, see below
Kind of the wrong thread to Post the above message in should really be in a thread of its own just for people to vote on with no discussion of the topic in the thread and leave this topic for discussion, most people are now fed up with this thread and individual members for going on about this over and over.

I count about 10 - 12 members of Rosetta in this thread going on and on about credits, not all of them I must add are moaning about credits so its a very very small minority having the moan

anyway back on topic for me option 1 please
Also just done a very quick calculation based on the number of people kicking off in the one thread will call it 12 just for ease of use

76,663 members - 12 moaning in the forums = 0.016% of people moaning
31,954 active members - 12 moaning in the forums = 0.038% of people moaning

When will they realise that they are such a small minority that if they go they will not be missed and no one cares about them.

Edit: Of course the number may be higher but that's all I see on the forum who have aired there view
MikeMarsUK
BOINCSynergy team member

Post by MikeMarsUK »

Yeah, the trouble is if they decide project policy based on a poll, even if 100 people vote, it'll still only be a tiny fraction of the project participants.
UBT - Halifax-lad

I don't think most participants care anyway, they will be happily crunching away not even knowing whats going on down in the forums
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

I agree, I do not crunch for the credit scoring (although I do look at it) and would not drop Rosetta if they changed it. Clearly some of the forum members want to get extra credit for no more crunching than other people, (there was previously a cheats thread over there). Optimised crunching where valid results are returned but just quicker is fine by me even though I don't as I would probably bugger something up while trying. :shock: