UBT - Halifax-lad

SETI Newsletter

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Please don't die of shock and amazement but there is a newsletter to read
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: SETI Newsletter

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Please don't die of shock and amazement but there is a newsletter to read
Hi David,

Thanks for that.

Just a shame they are still relying on SDLT 300 tape drive's - you'd have thought they'd have a live satellite T1 (or at least ADSL) feed back to Berkeley by now....!

(and yet, they have a live feed from the receiver, advising the direction it's pointing in...!

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/sci_status.html  )

The multi-beam got installed back in April 2004 - but if it was only "commissioned" after June 2006, was the old single beam system left in place, or was it taken out and we've had a 2+ year "fap" in data collection? (Can't remember the most recent date of any SETI WU's I crunched, due to Crunches and SAP !! )

regards,

Tim

PS Any news on when Parkes Observatory (Australia) will start mapping the Southern sky? Have they got their receiver yet?
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Don't hold your breath on Southern SERENDIP  :lol:  :lol:
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Jeffers »

I was a little concerned when I got to the bit where it said "there are seven receivers, arranged in a hexagon". I thinks to myself, surely a hexagon has six sides, not seven, shouldn't it be a heptagon?

All became clear further down the page with the picture of the receivers...it has six in a hexagonal group, with a seventh in the centre. That was a relief!

As mentioned above, it does seem a bit old hat that they're storing the data on a DLT tape drive, although with 30GB's an hour coming in, they'd need some ruddy big disk drives in there!