CD loading problem

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Rick Horn

CD loading problem

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

My Dell laptop, with Windows Vista, came with a Microsoft Works 9 CD.
When I stuck it in the CD drawer, it whirred for a couple of seconds, then stopped, and I cannot make it load.

If anyone knows how to persuade it to load, I would be extremely grateful.  :D
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Some questions first  :)

Is autoload enabled?
Do other CDs load?
Is the Works CD in good condition or scratched?
Does File manager (or whatever it's called in Vista) recognise that there is a disc in the drive?
Is Works compatible with Vista?
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

I've had similar problems with Vista and autorun on CDs. If the CD is okay and it's contents can be viewed with explorer there should be a setup.exe file or something similar in the root directory that you can double-click on.
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Thanks for your replies guys.
I`ve enabled autoplay, and I just started a dvd to test the drive, it was ok, so I assume the cd must be faulty.

No problem, I didn`t really need to use Works 9 in the first place.  :roll:  :lol:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Copied and pasted directly from the Works 9 site.

System requirements
To use Microsoft® Works 9, you need:

# Pentium (or compatible) 1 GHz or faster processor for Windows® XP; Pentium (or compatible) 1.6 GHz or faster processor for Windows Vista™
# Windows XP Professional 64-bit Edition with Service Pack (SP) 1; Windows XP 32-bit Edition with SP2; or Windows Vista or later operating system
# 256 MB of RAM or more for Windows XP; 1 GB of RAM or more for Windows Vista Home Basic; 1.5 GB of RAM or more for Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate
# 470 MB of available hard-disk space for Windows XP; 860 MB of available hard-disk space for Windows Vista
# 4x or faster CD-ROM or DVD drive
# 1024 x 768 or higher-resolution monitor
# 14,400 bps or faster modem for certain features