Website help

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
binlala

Website help

Post by binlala »

Well I don't know where to put this...

my website is currently down... but once its back online I want a page that will show the stats of my machine... now most of them I can type in as they won't change...

but I was wondering if there was a way that I could have say the amount of upload and download speed being used ? posted automatically on my site say every hour ?

And what I also wanted was sometype iof way Id know if the pc was still on and had internet connectivity... say a red light next to the stats meaning the pc is off or the internet is down... and green if its online ?

is this doable ? or am I talking crap ?
Temujin

Re: Website help

Post by Temujin »

Presumably your website is hosted by your ISP rather than on your PC ??
Simple way would be to collect the stats on your PC and upload them to your website every x minutes.
The age of the stats would indicate whether your PC is up or not.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Website help

Post by UBT - Timbo »

binlala wrote:Well I don't know where to put this...

my website is currently down... but once its back online I want a page that will show the stats of my machine... now most of them I can type in as they won't change...

but I was wondering if there was a way that I could have say the amount of upload and download speed being used ? posted automatically on my site say every hour ?

And what I also wanted was sometype iof way Id know if the pc was still on and had internet connectivity... say a red light next to the stats meaning the pc is off or the internet is down... and green if its online ?

is this doable ? or am I talking crap ?

Everything is do-able - it's a question of cost and what your OS is (as to the available tools).

If you want to show the upload and download "speed" then this needs to be done via the hosting server and it depends if you have root access to allow this. If it's your own (home?) server on an ADSL link, then it's quite possible.

Otherwise, you can see what "bandwidth" the server uses - these are all admin tasks, which are possible.

(If hosted on someone else's server, then you need to ask permish).

As for checking your (home) PC: Think there are a few monitoring tools aout there that can do this - obviously, if the PC and the web server are in the same location and lose connectivity, then you'll just get a blank screen on the web....

If they are in different places, then you can put a link from your website to the PC and if it connects, then there's an internet link. Doubt you can tell if the PC is OFF as this would appear the same, as if the internet link was down.

Obviously, once you have this info, it's then a question of what you can do about it.

If the PC is off: phone mum to get her to switch it back on?

If the net is offline: phone the ISP and complain?

Nowt else you can do, unless you set up a VPN channel and connect directly.

Easiest way, might be to use a webcam on the home PC, feeding the website with a direct link - if the webcam stops, somethings wrong !!

Maybe even direct the webcam to the PC screen - then you can see the BOINC screen.....!

regards,

Tim