MilkyWay

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

MAVRIK wrote:Would this be any good
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.a ... ehd48701gb
:shock::shock::shock::shock:

if that is an HD4870 and it's a genuine price then YES, its bl00dy good value
Ben

Post by Ben »

184.63 inc VAT though  :(
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Ben wrote:184.63 inc VAT though  :(
I'm sure it wasn't that price before! Wasn't it £84.63? I wonder if it was and several peeps tried to buy it at that price?
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Ben

Post by Ben »

:shock:  :!:
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

That's a good price.
Most of the 1GB HD4870's I ave seen have been over the £200 mark.

Also Ebuyer have a HD4830 for £81.61.
Force3D HD 4830 512MB
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Mikee wrote:
I'm sure it wasn't that price before! Wasn't it £84.63? I wonder if it was and several peeps tried to buy it at that price?
Err....
it was something like £68
I'll let you know tomorrow when I check my invoice :D

edit
aren't VPNs and vnc wondeful :D
It was £52.32 + £6.08 next day delivery + £8.76 vat making a less than grand total of £67.16 :D:D
wish I'd got 2 now :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

Temujin wrote:
UBT - Mikee wrote:
Err....
it was something like £68
I'll let you know tomorrow when I check my invoice :D

edit
aren't VPNs and vnc wondeful :D
It was £52.32 + £6.08 next day delivery + £8.76 vat making a less than grand total of £67.16 :D:D
wish I'd got 2 now :D

He knows a deal when he see's one  :P
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

haha
Unfortunately, we are currently experiencing a stock issue with the following item(s) you have ordered:
I thought it was too good to be true :(

If they've accepted and acknowledged an order at a certain price, are they legally bound to honour it?
Darren

Post by Darren »

I don't know.
I took a chance and ordered one.

Got an email today the same as yours followed by a second one...

VGA5082 CCL Value Radeon HD 4870 1GB Discontinued Item  

I'm not cancelling the order down and if they show stock at the new price with the same stock code I will be compaining.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Darren wrote:VGA5082 CCL Value Radeon HD 4870 1GB Discontinued Item  
Yup, I got one of those :(

According to their T&Cs, if you get an order on, then that's the price you pay :thumbup:
BUT
They have a clause whereby they can cancel an order due to Uncontrollable Events and Delays
and
Examples of Uncontrollable Events are (by way of example and not limited to) strike, lockout, riot, revolution, war, epidemic, working difficulties, transportation difficulties, fire, and failure of suppliers or official regulations
So, they only have to claim they have transportation difficulties and they can cancel the order :evil:
die2

Post by die2 »

Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Front page news
Server and Application Updates
March 25, 2009
Sorry for the recent lack of communication, but we've been working on quite a few things behind the scenes here.

First, my new laptop just came in the mail, so I'll be able to seriously start working on a CUDA version of the milkyway application. We'll be developing this for OS X, Linux and Windows.

Second, we're going to be doing a few server-side changes to how things are run, which should significantly help with workunit reporting and work availability. We'll be splitting MilkyWay@Home into two separate applications/backends, Milkyway regular and Milkyway GPU. This will allow us to keep current workunit sizes for non-GPU applications, while farming a lot more work out to the GPUs (so they need to contact the server less frequently). We'll be doing different optimization methods on the regular Milkway and the GPU Milkyway so they'll both be doing equally valid research. In the next day or two I'll be posting the code that the application will be using for the GPU version. After testing to make sure that it's working correctly we'll swap to only awarding credit to the GPU applications for GPU milkyway (that way our servers won't be as bogged down, which will mean better work availability). Also, before a credit firestorm erupts again, we have no plans to award less credit/work to the GPU applications, so you don't need to worry about that.
Ben

Post by Ben »

God bless them  :lol:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

From the front page
May 18, 2009
I'm working on the assimilator and validator right now so hopefully I'll have them running shortly. Except a large news update this week by wednesday -- our CUDA application is almost working so it should be out by then. I'm just doing some last tests before I put out the alpha code for everyone.
--Travis
:thumbup:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Woohoo!  :D

Great news! Although i think ATI will still have the edge, even over a GTX295  :twisted:

I guess this will mean the older Nvidia cards like the 8800/9800GT will not be able to do this project  :(
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Ben wrote:Great news! Although i think ATI will still have the edge, even over a GTX295  :twisted:
Yep, by about 3 to 1
I guess this will mean the older Nvidia cards like the 8800/9800GT will not be able to do this project  :(
yes again, I think only the GTX200 series cards are capable of performing the required double precision calculations.

It will be interesting to see how GPUGrid and MWGPU compare on the same card.
Ben

Post by Ben »

CUDA Application Update
May 20, 2009
Looks like I've finally gotten the CUDA application working. I'm in the process of cleaning up the code, and it should be available for you to play around with tonight. It's my first crack at a CUDA application, so it's a bit rough, but currently it's crunching the current stripe 82 WUs in around a minute using a GeForce 9600M GT. I'm sure there's quite a bit more optimization we can to do get it running even faster, as this is the first version and not optimized at all. Part of the reason this has taken so long was that I was doing quite a bit of testing comparing double and single precision math on the GPU. I've come up with some schemes that will allow us to use older graphics cards which don't support double precision math (like the GeForce I've been using); which should let a lot more of our users be able to use the GPU application. More news later when I post the code.
--Travis

Lookig good people!! Almost there  :D

And fantastic news that the older cards are being involved also!!! Means my 8800GT is not out of the running yet  :D
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

it looks like the project staff have sorted out the WU availability issues, all my ATIs are crunching away at full speed :thumbup:

time to switch those ATI GPUs back to MW :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

First time in ages where my ATI has done 3,000+ in 1hour! :D

Still need to install the 2nd one in the other quad..  :shock:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

June 11, 2009
Travis here. I'm going to be camping until Sunday so don't break anything while I'm gone. Hopefully Matt and John will keep the server running and filled with work for you guys :) I'm still having a few problems with the CUDA application for regular milkyway, so it'll probably be out Monday or Tuesday after I get back.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Here's version 0.22 of Gipsels optimised ATI app as mentioned on the Planet 3DNow forum

It fixes the progress bar bug evident with the recent WUs
make sure you install the correct version
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks temujin!  :D
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Don't seem to be getting any Wu's on this atm... Anyone else having the same problem, or is it just me that's bust it :?
Ben

Post by Ben »

No it's not just you, the MW servers don't appear to be generating any new work, even though all of them are reporting to be 'online'.

Below is the link to check how many work units are waiting to be sent to clients. When i checked it at 20:00 there was 0 ready to send.
http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/server_status.php
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Ben wrote:No it's not just you, the MW servers don't appear to be generating any new work, even though all of them are reporting to be 'online'.

Below is the link to check how many work units are waiting to be sent to clients. When i checked it at 20:00 there was 0 ready to send.
http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/server_status.php
I had checked as well. Thought that was the case, but wanted to make sure.. Gives other projects a chance for a bit though :wink:
Ice

zslip

Post by Ice »

I've added a link in my brilliantsite navigator to my original milkyway optimized apps zslip page, in case it can still help anyone.
Zydor

MilkyWay Double Credits Start 1 Sep 2011 - Plus ....

Post by Zydor »

........... On September 1, 2011, we will run MilkyWay@home with double credit. Hopefully, this will at least make up for some of the credit lost when MilkyWay@home was not operational for software, hardware, or air conditioning emergencies. We understand that these have been frustrating to some users, but be assured that they were much more frustrating for us.

In addition, we will run MilkyWay@home with double credit for one additional day for every $500 raised between now and September 1, 2011......
For MilkyWay fans ....  the above extract says it all.  See

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/for ... hp?id=2511

Ritual moaning started already, some will sware blind black was white .... I'm definitely getting past my sell by date rofl  :toothy10:

Regards
Zy