Membership

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
michael.kaye

Membership

Post by michael.kaye »

Hi folks.

I have tried to register for this forum. Trouble is, I did that before I read the "Read me first" stuff  :oops:

I am registered with WCG as "michael.kaye" (and it was nice to see a warm welcome in the "Welcome" section of this forum, after I'd joined this team on WCG  :) ), but unfortunately I tried to register with this forum as "mjkaye". I tried to register again with "michael.kaye", but of course the forum knew I had already tried to register with that email address.

And, just to confuse things, I'm thinking it might be an idea to follow the WCG site's advice and not use my name as a username. Also, I've seen that some of the team members prefix their usernames with "UBT", and some of the statistics on the site seem to depend on that. Is it recommended to use "UBT" in my username?

If I change my username on WCG, I would of course like to synchronise it with my username on here. What would be the recommended course of action?

TIA

Michael.
Temujin

Re: Membership

Post by Temujin »

Hi Michael
Hang in there mate.
I'm sure one of the admins will be along shortly and they'll sort you out.
and welcome to the forum
michael.kaye

Post by michael.kaye »

Thanks John. Hanging in...  :wink:
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

I am sure you will not have to wait long, but if you go back to the "read first" post you can click on the PM link at the bottom to request a change, I also (probably like many) did not read first. :oops:  
michael.kaye

Post by michael.kaye »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:I am sure you will not have to wait long, but if you go back to the "read first" post you can click on the PM link at the bottom to request a change, I also (probably like many) did not read first. :oops:  
Yeah, I was wondering whether the best bet would be to request a change, after my registration has been approved. However, I'm hoping to get some help with what that change should be.  :wink:

May I ask the reasons you use the "UBT" prefix?
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

On the team stats page you can click on
• Member stats (if "UBT -" is prefix)
it's a small bit of team promotion

I have not been around here that long and there may be other reasons someone else can fill you in on 9looks nice a long line of UBTs as well.

:lol:  :lol:
michael.kaye

Post by michael.kaye »

Ok, I wanted to sign up for Rosetta, so I've confused matters by changing my username, for both projects, to "UBT - verdade".

If I need to, I'll put in the appropriate request, once my registration is approved, to change my username on here.

Thanks.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Membership

Post by UBT - Timbo »

michael.kaye wrote:Hi folks. I have tried to register for this forum. Trouble is, I did that before I read the "Read me first" stuff  :oops:
Michael.

Michael,

Thanks for registering.

Your account is now active ( as "mjkaye" ) so please use this member name and your chosen password to log into the forum.

As mentioned in the "Read First" section, we don't allow "automatic" activation of the forum membership, due to the amount of spambots that can infiltrate the forum.

As soon as we know that a member is "human" (by, f'rinstance pinging a message into the forum), then we can accelerate the activation process.

Similarly, if you have a specific BOINC username that we can see has joined the Team on one of the projects, then this also allows us to activate the membership more quickly.

If you need to change your forum username (maybe to match your BOINC/WCG username) at any time, just ping me a PM and I can do this quite quickly. You'll then get an email confirming when the change has happened.

The UBT prefix is optional - it just gives the team a bit more "visibility" - as well as looking nice in the stats charts.

regards and welcome to the Forum !

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

michael.kaye wrote:Ok, I wanted to sign up for Rosetta, so I've confused matters by changing my username, for both projects, to "UBT - verdade".

If I need to, I'll put in the appropriate request, once my registration is approved, to change my username on here.

Thanks.
Your username will hopefully be amended once the message is seen and re-read again, Tim will then change it and then you can log in via the new username that will have been assigned to you
UBT - Chris Suddick

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

Michael,

You can use different usernames on different project if you want, so long as you use the same e-mail address they will all get collected together and credited to you. It causes less confusion to human readers if you use the same name but it is not essential.

As for the UBT prefix, the best reason I can give is that it is a bit of self publicity for the team if it appears loads of times in the stats. It also helps you to pick out other UBTers as you pass them in the stats charts (or they pass you perhaps).

Welcome aboard.

Chris.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

michael.kaye wrote:Ok, I wanted to sign up for Rosetta, so I've confused matters by changing my username, for both projects, to "UBT - verdade".
I've picked you up in my stats (see my sig)  on both Rosetta and WCG as UBT - verdade but they currently have different CPIDs.
The CPIDs should syncronise in the next day or so.
UBT - verdade

Post by UBT - verdade »

Thanks for the welcomes, and for sorting out the username issues.  :)

Those reasons for using the prefix sound good to me. I'm glad I did it. I'll try to use the same username across projects. Will make things clearer with the team-membership.

Temujin, it looks as if I've confused a few things with my usernames. I was hoping the CPIDs would sort themselves out. I think I need to wait for the client to synchronise again. It still shows my old username against my projects. I signed up for BAM, but that doesn't show my projects yet. Hopefully everything will settle down and sort itself out.

Thanks all for your help.  :)

EDIT: removed reference to unchanged username, because it's now been done.