BOINC ignoring preferences?

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

BOINC ignoring preferences?

Post by Jeffers »

I've noticed a few occasions recently when my computer seemed to be running rather sluggishly. I'm running 6.10.18 on Windows XP 64 bit, CPU is I7 and graphics Nvidia GT9800.

After a bit of investigation it looks to be down to BOINC.  I've got it set to suspend while I'm using the PC, but when I check the tasks I've found a SETI task still executing. Bizarrely the status says it's suspended as user is active as I would expect, but it's progress time and percentage are still incrementing. Doing a manual suspend on the task makes no difference, but if I abort it everything gets back to normal, confirming that as the culprit. I'm only running Seti and Rosetta.

Any ideas?
Timby

Re: BOINC ignoring preferences?

Post by Timby »

Jeffers wrote:I've noticed a few occasions recently when my computer seemed to be running rather sluggishly. I'm running 6.10.18 on Windows XP 64 bit, CPU is I7 and graphics Nvidia GT9800.

After a bit of investigation it looks to be down to BOINC.  I've got it set to suspend while I'm using the PC, but when I check the tasks I've found a SETI task still executing. Bizarrely the status says it's suspended as user is active as I would expect, but it's progress time and percentage are still incrementing. Doing a manual suspend on the task makes no difference, but if I abort it everything gets back to normal, confirming that as the culprit. I'm only running Seti and Rosetta.

Any ideas?
Hi Jeffers, I am running 6.10.29 at the moment, this seems to be following the preferences OK and now gives you the option to pause just the GPU applications. I know its a development release but it seems to work fine
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php

Mark
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

It's still happening!

Post by Jeffers »

Thanks for the link, I'm running that version now but I'm still seeing the same issue. I've also moved to Windows 7 on the PC but that didn't help either. I still end up with one Seti task running, even though everything says it's suspended. Only way to stop it is an abort of the task. Weird, eh?