Performance problems

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
hgblade

Performance problems

Post by hgblade »

I'm having apparent performance problems with one of my i7s, but before doing much thought I'd see if anyone has any suggestions.

Other than BOINC the machine's usage is mostly business related (no gaming) and so performance degaradation is generally not apparent - the only processor-intensive job is a database update that gets run several times a week, but as this generally takes anything from 30 minutes to 12 hours it's hard to tell if it is affected.,

However, BOINC cpu processes are now ridiculous. For example, ABC used to earn up to 40 credits per hour, and is now less than half of that; MW is taking longer than on my slow laptop.

I've run various performance tests which all suggest the CPU is performing as it should - Vista's Performance Analysis gives the CPU a rating of 5.9, which is as high as it can be!

So .... I'm tending to think BOINC needs re-installing, but before doing that fairly starightforward task I thought I'd post this and see if anyone has anything to add!
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

If it`s any help, there is a nice little application called Webroot Window Washer, which is a very efficient and simple to use method of clearing out all the garbage off your hard drive, and speeds things up a treat.

I think it costs about £15, and is well worth it.
Last edited by UBT - Rick Horn on Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Try CCleaner, it's a free registry cleaner. If that doesn't work try the paid for stuff :D
Ben

Re: Performance problems

Post by Ben »

hgblade wrote:I'm having apparent performance problems with one of my i7s, but before doing much thought I'd see if anyone has any suggestions.

Other than BOINC the machine's usage is mostly business related (no gaming) and so performance degaradation is generally not apparent - the only processor-intensive job is a database update that gets run several times a week, but as this generally takes anything from 30 minutes to 12 hours it's hard to tell if it is affected.,

However, BOINC cpu processes are now ridiculous. For example, ABC used to earn up to 40 credits per hour, and is now less than half of that; MW is taking longer than on my slow laptop.

I've run various performance tests which all suggest the CPU is performing as it should - Vista's Performance Analysis gives the CPU a rating of 5.9, which is as high as it can be!

So .... I'm tending to think BOINC needs re-installing, but before doing that fairly starightforward task I thought I'd post this and see if anyone has anything to add!
Sounds not so much a problem with your CPU, but more with your hard drive slowing things down.

Personally i would use 'CC Cleaner' like melter advised to clean up all the temporary stuff, then run a program called Defraggler (made by the same company - also free).

It does a better job of de-fragging your hard drive in my opinion. If you do decide to do that though i would stop as many things as possible and run it over night if you have a big hard drive.

Links:
CC Cleaner ---> www.ccleaner.com
Defraggler ---> www.piriform.com/defraggler

The cause of the work units taking less credit or more time is just down to the project i guess? Like with milkyway where they increased the time it takes to complete a work unit