New signupeee

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
warfire

New signupeee

Post by warfire »

Hello!

I used to be part of the EasyNews team but just reinstalled WCG and felt it was time for a new group.

Anyway, I hope my points are useful :)

-
Warfire
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Hi warfire, and a very warm welcome to the team.  :wave:

I am also a WCG "fan", and your credits will be more than welcome.

Rick.
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Hello Warfire, welcome to UBT.  :wave:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Hello and Welcome! :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

Welcome aboard :) WCG is a good project to be doing. Shame it can't harness the power of gpu's just yet.. But all in good time im sure  :D
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Hi warfire and welcome to UBT :wave:
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Welcome to the best team in the UK.
May your stay be along one.
Need any help ? Then just ask there is
always someone around to give advice.

b. :D
warfire

Post by warfire »

I do have one quick question - one of my hosts has a P4 3.0Ghz HT CPU but an nVidia GTX260 graphics card. Running WCG I can only use the CPU but I would probably get better performance using the GPU as well.  Are there any good clients that can use both?  Probably most newbie question of the month but last time I did all this (2005) GPU number crunching didn't exist!
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

warfire wrote:I do have one quick question - one of my hosts has a P4 3.0Ghz HT CPU but an nVidia GTX260 graphics card. Running WCG I can only use the CPU but I would probably get better performance using the GPU as well.  Are there any good clients that can use both?  Probably most newbie question of the month but last time I did all this (2005) GPU number crunching didn't exist!
WCG won't run on your GPU (I think) but there are several projects that support NVidia GPU crunching.
GPUGrid, Seti and MilkyWay are maybe the most stable but there are others around (GPUGrid probably pays best BTW).
All should run quite happily alongside your WCG but you may have to let boinc learn it now has a GPU. During this learning stage boinc may suspend or not request work for certain projects for no apparent reason but once it sorts itself out it'll run fine.

I don't know what boinc version you run but you'll need at least v6.x to support GPU crunching
warfire

Post by warfire »

Thanks for the info! I am running the latest WCG client (6.2.28) and nothing else.

Should I drop this and download BOINC from Berkeley instead?
UBT - Rick Horn

The latest BM V6.6.36 works fine with WCG.
warfire

Post by warfire »

So it's best to uninstall the WCG client and install the Boinc Manager directly if I want to use GPU calculations too?

Or is adding the GPUGrid project to the WCG client enough to enable GPU? I have a feeling it isn't.
UBT - Rick Horn

You don`t need to uninstall anything. Just update to 6.6.36, and BM will sort itself automatically.

If you are running projects that have GPU WUs, they should download by themselves.
warfire

Post by warfire »

Yep, that seems to have worked. Thanks!

Why does the WCG website have such an old version on there?? All it has is a little branding in it!

Thanks so much for your help :)