A little help please

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

A little help please

Post by UBT - Terry »

Hi all
I've been asked to look at this guys pc, he has reinstalled windows without checking to see if he had all the disc's and I have no idea how to find out what his sound card is as nothing to say who made it or anything.
SO what I'd like to know is, is there a way of finding out what the card is??? :?
Thanks in advance  :wink:

Terry
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

a quick google found a few possibilities but I'm not too sure if these will work without the sound driver installed although #3 looks promising
On the top left hand side, click on "Device Manager" to open up yet another window. In this you should scroll down the list until you come across the heading, "sound, video and game controllers". Click on the plus sign at the left side of the heading to expand, and your type of sound card will be displayed.
Start->Run->"dxdiag"
Look under Sound tab
Open the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI

You'll see subkeys like "VEN_1013&DEV_6003&SUBSYS_01531014&REV_01". That's a PCI identification string. Open these up and you'll see subkeys like "3&61aaa01&0&28". When you highlight one of these subkeys you'll see some values w/ description information. Look for the "Unknown" device.
Once you find the unknown device, search the "VEN_xxxx" and "DEV_xxxx" portion on Google, and you're likely to find something. Some of the Linux PCI code has a nice manifest of devices in it.
http://www.pcidatabase.com can help you search by vendor number, as well.
That's probably your best bet, short of opening the case, to find more about the device
Hope that helps
John

edit
missed a bit from #3

and another one that looks promising
stick it into the machine and boot up, hopefully you using xp sp2 or later.
find your unknown device in device manager, go to properties, details tabe.
change the drop down to "hardware id's"
now, you will see something like
PCIVEN_1039&DEV_0900&SUBSYS_0C5D105B&REV_91
(this is for a sis network adapter)
then number you are interested in are after ven_ and after dev_ (vendor id and device id)
stick them into
www.pcidatabase.com and it will tell you what the thing is.
Last edited by Temujin on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Thanks John
I'm looking now :D

Terry
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

If you can connect the PC to the 'net then you could always run Belarc on it? :D