Programming Help? (VB.net)

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
Ben

Programming Help? (VB.net)

Post by Ben »

I have compiled an application which simply checks to see if the ATI drivers which are needed to run the optimized ATI Milkyway application exist or not, and if they don't copy and rename them and put them in the system32 folder (it has been designed to work on either 32-bit or 64-bit systems).

All is fine and works fine, however i just wanted to know if there is a way to compile the application without having to 'publish' it whereby it builds it as a installer package. Seeing as it is only a tiny application, installing it seems a bit daft. Any way to get "just" the application to be output as a .exe file?

:?:
Darren

Post by Darren »

I don't know about vb.net but any apps written with the old visual basic used to need lots of dlls installing to work.
Doing an install used to take care of this problem.

I prefer delphi or c++.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Yeah this was true with VB versions up to visual basic 6.0. However with the .net version it is slightly different as anything from win2k onwards has the .net framework downloaded via a windows update. So it seems to me like it should work straight out the box.. But assumptions are the mother of all *fill in the blank*.

I could always port it back to VB6 i suppose, but i did want it to work with .net as i'm trying to learn the newer language.  :(