PrimeGrid's Birthday/Summer Solstice Challenge

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

PrimeGrid's Birthday/Summer Solstice Challenge

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Text taken from PG home page:

Welcome to PrimeGrid's Birthday/Summer Solstice Challenge

While the Challenge is still quite some time away, we wanted to prepare everyone for the intensity of doing LLR testing on such large numbers. PSP LLR is currently testing n>7M which can produce a 2M+ digit prime.

This Challenge will definitely live up to its definition...it will truly be challenging. It will be like running a constant "stress test" on your computer for 9 days straight. Solid, well cleaned and cooled computers will be a necessity. Good hardware will "rule the day".

As for the psychology of the Challenge, patience will be the virtue needed if you wish to participate. :) The average WU is 50 hours long (range: 28hrs to 100hrs). So, you can see the importance of having stable hardware.

------------------------------------

ATTENTION: The primality program LLR is CPU intensive; so, it is vital to have a stable system with good cooling. It does not tolerate "even the slightest of errors." WU's will take ~30-35 hours on fast/newer computers and 50-90 hours on slower/older computers. If your computer is highly overclocked, please consider "stress testing" it. Sieving is an excellent alternative for computers that are not able to return valid LLR results.

Application builds are available for Linux 32 bit and Windows 32 bit. These applications will be sent to 64 bit clients. As with all LLR application projects, there is no advantage of 64 bit over 32 bit.    

------------------------------------------------------

Greeting fellow PG crunchers.
After reading the info on the up and coming challenge
I thought i should run a few tests So.....
I put 4 cores onto doing PSP (LLR)
Results so far :
                  Wu time              Running time              Progress
Core 1           108hrs                    8hrs                         16%
Core 2           109hrs                    7hrs                         15%
Core 3           115hrs                    6hrs                         11%
Core 4           118hrs                    5hrs                           9%

This is being done on a AMD rig with all air cooling, side panels ON and NO overclocking.
Pc is running great with NO over heating problems (atm) but were only 8hrs into this, but i don't for see any problems at this time (kiss of death).
I will up date this as time goes by.

b. :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

If only they had an optimized SSE2/3/4 app like milkyway eh  :wink: Sounds like the challenge maybe a little bit long for me as i don't have the pc running boinc all the time, however i may be able to fit a few in there.
madas91

Post by madas91 »

My main pc should be ok but am running 4 psp llr W/U just to make sure.
my main concern is the one made from bits and pieces as it has crap cooling but will test that one also and i have plenty of time to work out how to boost its cooling if its not good enough.
hopefully that will bring my 8 cores into the challenge :)
madas91

Post by madas91 »

Doesn't seem to be the slightest bit of difference in temperature so far.
4 core temps are 62 58 61 62 which is the same whether i run sieves or llr W/U
W/U have run for 5 hours. 3 are at 13.3% done but 1 core is lagging behind at 12.6% done. I put that down to the 2 GPUGrid W/U that are also running and me writing this :)

My Q9650 is running stable clocked to 3.6Ghz 1600 FSB on air cooling. ASUS Triton 79 cpu cooler and 2 Akasa 120mm silent case fans.

cpu temp is 46 C
system temp is 34 C
according to Asus AI suite.
I think it reads cpu temp from different place. 4 temps at top are from a program called RealTemp

So all in all i think i'm in :)
UBT - bobuk

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Results so far : 0816hrs
                 Wu time              Running time              Progress
Core 1           108hrs                    8hrs                         16%
Core 2           109hrs                    7hrs                         15%
Core 3           115hrs                    6hrs                         11%
Core 4           118hrs                    5hrs                           9%
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results @ 2300hrs
Core 1                 ''                       22.0hrs                      44.5%
Core 2                ''                       21.5hrs                       43.8%
Core 3                ''                       19.75hrs                     26.0%
core 4                ''                       18.75hrs                     28.2%

All running nice and smooth...No over heating problems...Just be nice to know what sort of credit after this length of time :>)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

madas91

Post by madas91 »

If anything my temps are now lower than when i 64 bit sieve on both machines. the linux box with the q6600 cpu in it has dropped from 78 down to 70 since its been running 4 llr w/u and my main is steady now at 58 58 59 56.

i really need to move the q6600 into a better case so it cools properly
madas91

Post by madas91 »

All in all its taken 36 hours per core per w/u for 995 ish credit claimed on the 4 completed ones. will let you know final credit when its validated :) but my temps where all down a few degrees rather than up. I will definately run the challenge on 8 cores and hope i do as well as last time :)
UBT - bobuk

Post by UBT - bobuk »

* * *  BUMP * * *

Are we getting ready for :-

http://tinyurl.com/pfg7cy

UBT - bobuk

Post by UBT - bobuk »

OK YOU LOT

THE CLOCK IS TICKING

http://www.primegrid.com/

ARE WE READY ?

LETS GO SHOW THE WORLD WHAT ITS LIKE TO BE IN A GOOD TEAM

Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

I actually prefer the longer challenges, so I'll definitely be there on Friday morning. :D
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Just a word of warning. I know we've covered this before, but it's always worth mentioning for the sake of the newer members.

Due to the heat generated by the PSP LLR wu's it's a good idea to make sure your cooling fan(s), heatsink and motherboard are dust free.

During the last spell of hot weather I could hear that my CPU fan was spinning a lot quicker than normal so decided it was 'hoover' time for the quad!

Between the cooling fan and the CPU heatsink was a 'carpet' of dust. After turning off the 'puter and removing the cooling fan, I carefully 'hoovered' the top of the heatsink, motherboard and memory modules. Then I cleaned out the cone thingy that directs the heat out of the case.

After rebooting the 'puter, I ran speedfan and found an average of 20degC reduction in each core and the fan running almost silently! :D
madas91

Post by madas91 »

I'm all ready for the slaughter of w/u. My 8 cores will be there ready at the start
lordnikon

challenge time!!!

Post by lordnikon »

yay im in...

currently winding down my 20 cores in prep for the onslaught tomorrow morning....

man if only i had a squad of astartes for the coming battle...those 250 points would be ours!
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Sorry Bob, would have liked to help but after reading the post on PG site I think my overclocked to the hilt P4's would just give up and die. Sorry about that but I wish the rest of the team good luck and hope you do well.

Gary.
madas91

Post by madas91 »

Well thats me started my 2 boxes running. Only problem i'm going to have is when my new replacement gtx295 comes i'm not going to wait for the challenge to end before i fit it so i might lose a few hours crunching when my gleaful hands can't resist putting it in :)

2nd gpu was definately faulty and now i just have to be patient for the new one to arrive.
UBT - bobuk

Post by UBT - bobuk »

ive now got four cores running on this  :)

they say 144 hours completion time :lol:

oh well on-ward and up-ward as they say...

melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Same here, Bob :D

Still no Teams or Participants in the official standings yet! :lol:  :lol:
Timby

Post by Timby »

I got 4 on an AMD Phenom that look like they will take around 36 hrs to complete?

Should see the first of my wu go through around 23:30 ish.?
UBT - bobuk

Post by UBT - bobuk »

well the early results are starting to flow though  :lol:
TEAM:
http://www.primegrid.com/challenge/2009 ... teams.html
USERS:
http://www.primegrid.com/challenge/2009 ... users.html

nice to see UBT in there keep up the good work..
brownie points at the end of it all  :lol:

i have just had all four of my two day long  wu's give 'Error while computing' :evil:
don't know why this has happened as i did / have run this type of wu before today all is very stable on my pc.
i not doing any more at this time...

melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

That's me done! None of my 6 remaining wu's will be finished before tomorrows deadline.

A bit pi**ed off that I only got 4 wu's done on the quad in 9 days! All 8 downloaded were the ~160hr wu's so only enough time to crunch 4 of them :?
Last edited by melter65 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
madas91

Post by madas91 »

Am well chuffed with 79th :) my 6600 failed first 4 tasks too but luckily it managed to complete 4 tasks. thankfully the 9650 was rampant with its crunching. Even had time to instal my new gtx295 replacement that arrived mid crunch :-)
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Frankly, I kinda share Mr Melter's sentiments, my quad seemed to take forever to do these WUs, and I wasn't pleased to see that it was being out crunched by, among other things, an old P4. :x

I stuck with it for the length of the challenge, but I don't think these PSP LLR WUs are for me. :(

From now on I think I'll just stick to sieving.  :)
lordnikon

ap24

Post by lordnikon »

next ones a comin!

i got plans for an additional 16 core box for the challenge.... IBM x3850M2..... 4 x quad......nice, if i get it in time
Ben

Re: ap24

Post by Ben »

lordnikon wrote:next ones a comin!

i got plans for an additional 16 core box for the challenge.... IBM x3850M2..... 4 x quad......nice, if i get it in time
Very swish!  :D

Some say he thinks credits make him go faster... And that he only stops using the calculator for loo breaks... But all we know is, he's our very own UBT - LordNikon!

Randomness over, may the crunching begin!  :idea:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Starting to clear the decks for this!

C'mon people, this is a short (24hr) challenge, let's get the Team in the Top 10! :D
idb

Post by idb »

melter65 wrote:Starting to clear the decks for this!

C'mon people, this is a short (24hr) challenge, let's get the Team in the Top 10! :D

Final results for the last challenge are just in and we finished 9th in that.

Ian
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

idb wrote:
melter65 wrote:Starting to clear the decks for this!

Final results for the last challenge are just in and we finished 9th in that.

Ian
Must admit that I'd stopped looking at the results a while ago! :D

Damn! I've dropped about 20 places in the Final Results! :cry: