Xbox 360 - 3 flashing red lights

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Xbox 360 - 3 flashing red lights

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Anyone know the "fix" to resolve this issue....?

I found some US websites selling eBooks describing how to fix this problem, which I believe is due to the CPU and GPU overheating...

A few books even describe that all you need is a screwdriver and the "mod" takes just a few minutes to perform....maybe just moving the heatsinks ??

So, anyone confirm what it is that you do, to fix such a fault?....as I don't want to spend £50-£70 if it's just a so-called "simple" fix....times are tough, y'know...!!

Thankx in advance
Ben

Post by Ben »

I think the word is FUBAR  :shock:

Heard of this before and unfortunately it's usually either hardware related or overheating. Not been running BOINC on it Tim have you?   :wink:

I'll have another look into it, there maybe a quick way around it.

***Edit***
Check this out Tim.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907534
Temujin

Re: Xbox 360 - 3 flashing red lights

Post by Temujin »

According to the xbox-360 guys here at work, 3 flashing red lights means you have a problem with soldered connections on the graphics card due to overheating.
If you've been a good boy and not cracked it, you should be able to return it for repair, depending on how long you've had it.
Apparently, just opening the box will void its warranty but its possible to add a "pusher" to reseat the graphics card but the guys say its bugg3red really :?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Temujin wrote:According to the xbox-360 guys here at work, 3 flashing red lights means you have a problem with soldered connections on the graphics card due to overheating.
H John

Yup - I'm pretty sure that's the problem.
Temujin wrote:If you've been a good boy and not cracked it, you should be able to return it for repair, depending on how long you've had it. Apparently, just opening the box will void its warranty but its possible to add a "pusher" to reseat the graphics card but the guys say its bugg3red really :?
Firstly, it's been repaired before - was returned to M$ (in the US) some time back....but M$ have changed the rules and I think you need to buy some sort of support contract for these age of consoles....

From what I'm told, now you return the unit and you get an exchange unit back...and all the "stuff" on the internal HDD is lost....which means someone has to re-start all their games all over again....!

So, the warranty isn't really an issue...so it's just a question of figuring out what part needs either reseating (due to chip creep) or resoldering (assuming it's just dry joints ??).

It's not been opened up yet....but maybe by Monday it will be and I can then see the problem first hand....

PS What's a "pusher"...???

Thanx for the help.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Ben wrote:I think the word is FUBAR  :shock:

Heard of this before and unfortunately it's usually either hardware related or overheating. Not been running BOINC on it Tim have you?   :wink:

I'll have another look into it, there maybe a quick way around it.

***Edit***
Check this out Tim.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907534
Thanks for the info.

I'm pretty clued up as to the actual problem.....just need to find a way to fix it....

A few UK websites have sprung with repair costs of the value previously mentioned...but as the problem appears to be quite widespread I was just wondering if any fixes had become "common knowledge" and being an electrical engineer, for me it should be quite simple to fix, as long as I know what to do...

Thanks for the info!!
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Founder wrote:PS What's a "pusher"...???
From what the guys were saying, its not just that the joints have become unsoldered but rather the track has come away from the pcb.
The best way they described the "pusher" was a clamp type thing :?

If you're ok with opening it up then I'd suggest you do so and see what you can discover and if it has de-tracked (?) then cobble together something to persuade it to make contact again.

They were suggesting it was near enough dead though :(
But I'm sure a man of your calibre will sort it :D
Last edited by Temujin on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Not still covered by the 3 warranty ? ( extended from 1 due to so many failures )
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

fellie wrote:Not still covered by the 3 warranty ? ( extended from 1 due to so many failures )
Nah...it's outside the 3 year warranty :-(

It's an early version, which has been fixed before, but the issue is that there is saved data (as far as the "progress" made in various games) which would be nice to retain....

So, if the console cannot be fixed, a new one will need to be bought and then perhaps the HDD can be transferred over to the new console, or maybe some bright spark has invented a utility to copy the data over ???
Ben

Post by Ben »

UBT - Founder wrote:So, if the console cannot be fixed, a new one will need to be bought and then perhaps the HDD can be transferred over to the new console, or maybe some bright spark has invented a utility to copy the data over ???
From what i remember of the Xbox360 Tim you should be able to remove the hard drive on the top of the console, and just slot it into the new console and away you go. Plug 'an play  :)
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Correct, it as good as falls off :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Ben wrote:From what i remember of the Xbox360 Tim you should be able to remove the hard drive on the top of the console, and just slot it into the new console and away you go. Plug 'an play  :)
Hi Ben & fellie

Thanks both for the info.

The original posting was made BEFORE I actually was given the console to take a look at....

And now I have it, I realise that the HDD sits on top of the console, rather than being internal......sorry about that :oops:

I've now had the console apart - that was fun - excepting for the removal of the heatsink assemblies, as I haven't got a Torx T8 to hand.....which I'll get tomorrow.

From the digging around on the 'net, it seems that most "3 Red Lights" issues can be fixed with some 1mm thick M5 washers used as spacers.....

So, I'll get me some of them.....!!

Another "fix", advises you to heat up the surrounding area, while tightening down the CPU/GPU heatsink screws (as I understand it), so that the solder joints might "flow" a little under pressure.....so, my trusty paint stripper heat gun will be put to use, if the first "fix" doesn't work !!

I'll let you all know how I get on.....!!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Update:

I got from ebay a kit of parts including 8 new bolts, 16 nylon and 16 metal washers and some thermal paste...not bad for £2.50....

Read the instructions, replaced all that needed replacing etc and ..............it's still the same.... :-(

Now I've found another website with even more useful info...and plenty more tips.....so, I'm in the process of trying out the various "fixes".....but it's not looking good so far....

The problem appears to be related to overheating due to smaller than average sized heatsinks, and inadequately sized cooling fans
This causes dodgy joints to occur near to the CPU, GPU and memory chips, as a result of the poor solder quality.

One fix involves using a heat gun, so I'll be getting my paint stripper out and seeing if this re-makes any dodgy joints....after all, it can't make it any worse....

If not, then it's going in the trash......apart from any bits I can flog off as spares on ebay...!!