4th Weekend Crunch - starts this weekend (23rd June @ 23:59)

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

4th Weekend Crunch - starts this weekend (23rd June @ 23:59)

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

OK - it's time to start suspending your various projects, allowing the each of them to complete any possible existing work and to then allow you to concentrate on XtremLab.

Make sure you have an account with XtremLab, (click here if you don't):

http://xw01.lri.fr:4320/team_join_form.php?id=17

so that you can participate in the 4th Weekend Crunch, starting this Friday 23rd June at 23:59 for just 48 hours (or longer if you want).

Only join this project, if you are NOT using Win 9x or ME or a Mac.

However, if you have Win NT, 2000, or XP or a Linux PC, then please join up. With very short (10 minute) WU's, there'll be plenty of time to crunch a whole load of work units.

Edit: In fact, with 10 minutes work-units, you can potentially crunch 288 WU's per CPU (There's 2,880 minutes in 48 hours....so at 10 mins per WU, that's 288 WU's !!!!!).

And if you get  a half-decent credit per WU, you can help us to leap right up the rankings !!

Let's see if we can crunch hard...!

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Sorry to have to report that I will not be giving my all for Xtreme this weekend.

My main crunching machine at the office, which normally runs 2 WUs simultaneously seem to get itself well screwed when 2 Xtreme WUs finish at the same time. From that point on it will only run 1 WU at a time till I kill boincmgr and restart it.

To keep up the overall crunch rate I've had to suspend and detach  Xtreme.  

The single processor box here at home will be however giving 100% to Xtreme.

==
Rod
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

RodEllery wrote:Sorry to have to report that I will not be giving my all for Xtreme this weekend. .........The single processor box here at home will be however giving 100% to Xtreme.

==
Rod
Hi Rod,

No worries - every little helps !!

What OS is your work PC running? Have you got the latest BOINC Manager?

regards,

Tim
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

WinXP with all OS patches applied.

Yes, latest manager.

The problem has been affecting me for ages, I just wasn't able to track it down till I switched to Xtreme only and watched for a while.  Since I stopped Xtreme no proba at all.

--
Rod
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

RodEllery wrote:WinXP with all OS patches applied.

Yes, latest manager.

The problem has been affecting me for ages, I just wasn't able to track it down till I switched to Xtreme only and watched for a while.  Since I stopped Xtreme no proba at all.

--
Rod
Hi Rod,

FWIW: I use XP Pro with a Hyperthreading CPU (Inter P4/3Ghz) and it works a treat.

So, at least I can prove that the OS should be able to handle it.

There's obviously "something" going on, so I guess the best thing to do is to consider letting your WU cache dry up, (at a time to suit you) and then to do a full detach of BOINC for all projects, and to then do a fresh install of BOINC. You shouldn't need to UNINSTALL BOINC beforehand.

And as long as you don't delete the directory or install into a different directory, then you should then have a "fresh" BOINC installation.

Then just attach one at a time to the projects. Your "old" XML's stored in the BOINC directory won't get touched and you won't lose any of the credits you earned to date.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

I cheated am already crunching, makes a change from the BBC WU I have been processing for weeks
UBT - Halifax-lad

Just a note to any newcomers Xtremlab requires independent access to the net other than the normal access through BOINC

Reason below
Our application contacts briefly our server, each time an XtremLab work unit starts, to obtain the exact time. (even if disabled in BOINC client) This is useful for us as we can synchronize results from different hosts. We also know if the connections to Internet is available. (For example, with this study, future version of BOINC will better anticipate periods when Internet is not available) Transmitted data amount is very small, but if you pay you connections based on the amount of data transferred, you may want to suspend our application or not allowing it to connect to our website.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

RodEllery wrote:WinXP with all OS patches applied.

Yes, latest manager.

--
Rod

As Halifax has now observed, it's probably your Firewall settings due to the way that XL communicates outside of BOINC, although, TBH, I don't have XtremLab listed in the Exceptions List, so I don't know how my client communicates, if it's not listed..... :shock:

regards,

Tim
Francis McDermott
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Francis McDermott »

This is the reason I've only got my home machine running Xtremelab. Group policy for my work ones won't allow access to ports unless we absoluty have to have it  :(

Still, I've got Malaria running on one to compensate  8)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: 4th Weekend Crunch - starts this weekend (23rd June @ 23

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi all,....OK - it's time to start suspending your various projects, allowing the each of them to complete any possible existing work and to then allow you to concentrate on XtremLab.

Well, didn't we do well.

Take a look here:

That looks to me like an 8 fold increase in credits over the week-end...!

Just a shame that more didn't join in.....as membership of XtremLab increased by just 17 members in the three weeks prior to the Crunch.

However, am very pleased to say that those who take an active part in the forum, are among those who contribute to the Crunches.

So, many grateful thanks for your valuable support to the Team.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Always good to see an increase