Another Question

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Another Question

Post by UBT - Terry »

Ok I been asked to look at a pc for a mate again :lol:
The problem with it is it won't start.
I,ve checked all the usual things looked at correct front panel set up to make sure he had it wired up properly but it wasn't so I found the online downloadable pdf from Foxconn mobo version 865PE7MF
Connected correctly but still nothing in or out of case.
There is voltage at the power switch terminals but won't go???
Also when I received said PC I also noticed than the board was or had possibly touching the case!
SO am I correct to say that the board is had it "FUBAR" l  :?

Thanks

Terry
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Re: Another Question

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Terry wrote: SO am I correct to say that the board is had it "FUBAR" l  :?
Probably.

Have you taken out everything from the motherboard except CPU and fan? If the fan just 'twitches' then there's a short somewhere on the motherboard/CPU/Fan (PSU overcurrent trips) = fubar

If it doesn't 'twitch', try shorting the 'POWER ON' terminal leads. It may be something daft like the case power switch bust (unlikely but worth a shot). If still nothing then it looks like the PSU has popped as well. You could try another cheap PSU if you've got one lying around first.

You say something may have been touching the case, in which case probably = fubar again!

I wouldn't try using motherboard, Graphics card, CPU or RAM in a new system. If 2 modules have popped, which is likely, then you're just going to blow your new stuff and still not be sure what the problem is!

Been there - done that!!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Temujin

Re: Another Question

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Terry wrote:Also when I received said PC I also noticed than the board was or had possibly touching the case!
SO am I correct to say that the board is had it "FUBAR" l
Maybe not

I used to get my newbies to build up their own computers.
One chap, who shall remain nameless (Simon) failed to use any castle spacers and screwed the motherboard directly onto the case.
We puzzled and poked it and tried the usual stuff before realising.
After he'd stood in the corner for a suitable period he corrected his error and the thing only went and booted up and worked flawlessly for 2-3 years..

So it could well be something else
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Nope nothing not even a twitch had already tried crossing the terminals with screwdriver must admit I've  not tried new psu yet but the one that's in there is new mmm . :?
I'll plug one of my Hypers into it see if anything happens but I'm not holding my breath :wink:
If not I've another board here an Asrosk full hd crap board but it'll do the trick  :roll:

Many Thanks

Terry
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Cheers Guys
New PSU required  :roll:
Dunno why I couldn't think of that but like I've said many times before I am blond  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Terry
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Terry wrote:Cheers Guys
New PSU required  :roll:
Dunno why I couldn't think of that but like I've said many times before I am blond  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Terry
I'm surprised it was that as you said it was a new PSU. Still, glad you found the problem and it can be a cheap fix!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

UBT - Mikee wrote:
I'm surprised it was that as you said it was a new PSU. Still, glad you found the problem and it can be a cheap fix!

Yeah thats what I was told but looks like he's blown it tried his PSU on one of my rigs and nothing the same.
And to top all that one of my rigs has died on me think I've cooked the CPU as it's starting but not posting tried diff psu diff ram graphics card etc etc so only thing left is processor, it has been overclocked to it's max for nearly 20 months  :oops:

Terry