Another newbie to the team

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
GB21882

Another newbie to the team

Post by GB21882 »

Greetings one and all,

Another Steve here to join the crew.  

I've been registered with the World Community Group for sometime and clocking up the credits for team UK

I decided to switch teams and was hoping to transfer my 35,200 points across, but apparently I am unable to.

Anyhow, no problem, just start again. :D
Temujin

Re: Another newbie to the team

Post by Temujin »

Hi Steve

Welcome to UBT and the forum Image

Apart from a couple of projects (climate & bbc) any credits acrued whilst a member of a team stays with that team when you leave and join another team.
It was done like this to stop people with large credit holding a team to ransom by threatening to leave (and taking all their credit away from the team) unless they got their own way.

You still keep your credit of course  :D

Happy crunching
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Another newbie to the team

Post by UBT - Timbo »

GB21882 wrote:Greetings one and all, ....

Hi Steve,

Thanks for joining the Team and the Forum.

Are you using the UD client on WCG (as UD credits are unfortunately not counted towards our BOINC Total Team Credits)

However UD credits ARE counted towards our WCG Total Team credits, so your contribution is not wasted at all (and of course the science project benefits from having more people crunching).

regards,

Tim
GB21882

Post by GB21882 »

Hi Tim,

I have WCG running on my laptop and the BOINC Manager running on home PC. I have now added the WCG project to my BOINC manager.

Where are the credits likely to go from now on ?

Regards,

Steve.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

GB21882 wrote:Hi Tim,

I have WCG running on my laptop and the BOINC Manager running on home PC. I have now added the WCG project to my BOINC manager.

Where are the credits likely to go from now on ?

Regards,

Steve.
OK - the WCG on your laptop - is it the UD client, or the BOINC version?

regards,

Tim

PS Like the Avatar - where did you get that from  :D ??
You know you can use any piccy you like (as long as it's legal) as your avatar - we don't have a Team avatar, only a Team graphic (at the top of the forum and on the website).
GB21882

Post by GB21882 »

WCG on the laptop is the UD Agent. The BOINC agent is running on the Home PC.

I believe the points/credits are calculated differently, BOINC points being much lower than UD points.

The Device Statistics on WCG has registered the BOINC device (PC) and shows the Work Unit activity. It also shows a column where any credits will go to BOINC. Previous credits were generated on the laptop and so are under the United Device name.

Regards Steve.
PSas regards the Avatar, er lets call it acquired intellectual capital ! (till the World Cup finishes).
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

Welcome To The Team, Steve.  :hello2:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Welcome
UBT - Calum Mercer

Post by UBT - Calum Mercer »

welcome to a great team Steve  :wave:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

GB21882 wrote:WCG on the laptop is the UD Agent. The BOINC agent is running on the Home PC.

I believe the points/credits are calculated differently, BOINC points being much lower than UD points.

Hi Steve,

The credits you are awarded for the UD and for BOINC, on the WCG website, are basically the same (taking into account CPU power, etc)

But for the BOINC clients, WCG exports these stats to an XML file, (which then get exported to the various stats sites) having first divided the total (and ongoing) BOINC-client generated WCG credits by 7.

So, if you earn 14,000 WCG credits on your BOINC client, the BOINC stats would show you as having earnt 2,000 BOINC credits.

Your UD credits will stay on the WCG side of things and are not contributory to the BOINC stats side.

But your WCG BOINC credits will add to your WCG UD credits on the WCG site.

Confused?

regards,

Tim
UBT - BHCJackie

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

Hi Steve, welcome to the team  :wave:
GB21882 wrote:as regards the Avatar, er lets call it acquired intellectual capital ! (till the World Cup finishes).
I'm sure if you ask Tim nicely he'll let you borrow his last avatar
He loves her dearly  :angel12:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:I'm sure if you ask Tim nicely he'll let you borrow his last avatar
He loves her dearly  :angel12:

Cor, talk about rubbing salt into a wound..... :D

And fact is - no-one need ask my permssion to use "that" avatar. In fact you're welcome to it........!

Once the World Cup is over, I think I'm going to change my avatar quite often, as I have a nice stack of "pretty pictures" that I'm in the mood to use......!

regards,

Tim