Next target is...

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Next target is...

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Not being a statistician but I got the gut feeling that the next target shouldn't be Russia but team CF.

Why?

We're catching Russia by about 4000 a day, Hungary by around 8000 a day, Little White Dog by 40,000 and Team CF by 80,000 a day. So, although, the difference today is around 3 million to Team CF and just 800,000 to Russia won't we catch Team CF before Russia?
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Next target is...

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Not being a statistician but I got the gut feeling that the next target shouldn't be Russia but team CF.

Why?

We're catching Russia by about 4000 a day, Hungary by around 8000 a day, Little White Dog by 40,000 and Team CF by 80,000 a day. So, although, the difference today is around 3 million to Team CF and just 800,000 to Russia won't we catch Team CF before Russia?
Hi Mike,

Your probably right, but I wanted to differentiate between three different "targets" such as:

Next World Team to pass
Next UK Team to pass
Next Project to become #1

This was so that it might "inspire" people to crunch for different reasons.

Besides:
- The World "target" will change quite often over the coming few months

- Obviously once we get past Team CF, then it's gonna be a long haul to get anywhere close to "OcUK" - unless we get a few more defectors...!

- And in the race to be #1 UK Team in each of the projects, we'll probably need to generate some half decent credits for WCG first, as we're languishing way down at the mo' - hence the Crunch this week-end.

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Not being a statistician but I got the gut feeling that the next target shouldn't be Russia but team CF.....

In fact, there's a great opportunity for us right now.

OK - Einstein is currently "DOWN".

And the biggest project that "Russia" is involved in is "Einstein" (about 50% of their credits total).

So, while that project is down and until the "Russia" team members can switch over to another project, then we have a great chance to catch up.

Obviously, they could have big caches and hence once Einstein comes back online and the WU's get uploaded, then we could go seriously backwards once the WU's are validated.

On the other hand, the longer the outage, the less chance they have of topping up their caches....hence our opportunity.

So, keep on crunching !!

And maybe we can overtake them this side of the next millennium !!

regards,

Tim

(Edit: typo)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Not being a statistician but I got the gut feeling that the next target shouldn't be Russia but team CF.......

Hi all,

Well I think we have to give up the chase on "Russia"....they have got back to being about 500,000 credits ahead of us and our RAC is now less than theirs....!

So, we must now re-focus on "Hungary" and then "LittleWhiteDog" in order to move up the World rankings.....so good luck to "Russia" - you've beaten us fair and square.....see you next when we have a bit more "crunching power" !!!

regards,

Tim
Darren

Post by Darren »

Right, well, hmm....
We have a small problem with the catchup stats. It appears that there are maybe two team doing predictor listed as 'Hungary'
One with 12 credits and one with 666,000 credits.
Boincstats uses the 12 credits one but my prog chose the 666,000 one.

I think to ensure we have passed them we should use the larger of the two.

Any objections?
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

What is it ? When we pick another team to try to catch up on they start increasing their RAC? Russia are at it now!

Still say we pick on Team CF! :violent3:

Image Image

UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

Since the 1st June
The average daily credits have been
Russia 85,694
UBT    75,133

What’s more it looks like there is a downward
trend  in the daily UBT credits, when looking at
the 60 day graph.

Has the number of active users dropped.?  :(
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I was thinking that, since the new version of SETI, teams that have a high percentage of SETI crunching have all dropped RAC - but it doesn't seem to bear out by glancing at the graphs of teams above us - some have dropped, some seem about the same. Still blame SETI though!

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - JsF wrote:Since the 1st June
The average daily credits have been
Russia 85,694
UBT    75,133

What’s more it looks like there is a downward
trend  in the daily UBT credits, when looking at
the 60 day graph.

Has the number of active users dropped.?  :(

If you take a look here:

http://stats.kwsn.net/team_history.php? ... eamid=7583

you'll see that in general, our team membership is pretty steady (even increasing slightly), but our active membership has taken a knock.

So, I guess there are a few "mechanisms" at work:

1) SETI reducing their credit per WU
2) SETI increasing the time taken to complete a WU
3) SETI making it more difficult for lower-powered CPU's to complete a WU in a reasonable time

all of which makes for less "positive vibes" about involving oneself in BOINC.

Of course there's always summer holidays and other activities that will have an influence.

And I'm not the 1st person to switch PC's off, when if gets very warm - my home office doesn't have air-con, so a high ambient temp is not nice to "work" in, if you've got a few PC's just sitting there crunching.

I wouldn't be too worried by it. As time progresses, the team numbers will probably pick up as other crunchers join up.

And to be brutally honest, I expected only around 20% of team members to actually be "continuously generating credits" - many people join but after the initial "phase", they soon drop back (or out).

I've actually had a couple of Team members complain to me that the Team has "wrecked their computers" due to the heat build up caused by crunching. I've put them right that it was BOINC and not their association with the Team. But they've stopped crunching anyways....!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:I was thinking that, since the new version of SETI, teams that have a high percentage of SETI crunching have all dropped RAC - but it doesn't seem to bear out by glancing at the graphs of teams above us - some have dropped, some seem about the same. Still blame SETI though!
And the effect of crunch3r deciding to cease providing an opti-application for SETI is also making it's mark.

I think we've suffered a bit, as SETI is the project with the greatest number of UBT members, and so any effect caused by SETI changing stuff, has a bigger effect with us. (We have 403 SETI members and 580 total Team members - so SETI makes up about 2/3rds of our total membership).

Of course, that's another reason why I thought about making this Team a supporter of ALL projects, in order to "average" out the effect of change due to any one project (such as it closing down, or changing the credit system, etc).

regards,

Tim
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

Looking at the SETI World position graph we were
Steadily moving up the ranks then in April this
Trend seems to have levelled off at our current position.

It seem to me that if we persist in trying to improve
Our SETI position we will start to loose far more ground
to other Team in the overall Boinc credits and we will
see more and more team overtaking us. ?

As you say Tim “making this Team a supporter of ALL
projects, in order to "average" out the effect of change
due to any one project “ and I agree with it but now
It’s looking as if SETI is dragging us down.?

With in a month we have reduced our average credits
From 4059 to 3035 credits per hour in the UK Ranking

I for one have been thinking of reducing my time
crunching for SETI. not sure, been do-ing it since 1999

I would like some other opinions first.

Jimmy
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - JsF wrote:Looking at the SETI World position graph we were
Steadily moving up the ranks then in April this Trend seems to have levelled off at our current position.......I would like some other opinions first. Jimmy

Hi Jimmy.

Like you, I too have been crunching on SETI since 1999 and so for me it's "in-grained" to continue supporting the SETI project.

But I've had to reduce the number of PC's that I use on SETI due to SETI Enhanced, which basically is too "CPU intensive" for some of my (now) more elderly PC's - they were good when it was SETI Classic and subsequently upto and including v4.x of SETI, they returned plenty of WU's.

But their use on SETI v5.x is useless. 40+ hours on a single WU which might still not be validated due to the odd glitch. And now that crunch3r has removed his opti-application, even less reason...!

So, I've had to remove them from SETI project and get them to work on something else. I've now found that even Einstein is too difficult for them and I've now got one PC on "Malaria.net".

And I'll be "blowed" if I'm going to have to  "re-equip" the farm with more update to date CPU's just to carry on with SETI (esp. when they are OK to do the other jobs they need to do (one's a SCI server and the other  is a print server)).

In the meantime, if other members find that *their* hardware is not up to it, then indeed, our SETI RAC will drop (and this is not even including Temujin, who has got the same "issue" on SETI and has switched some of his farm over the Einstein).

In the end, my P4's are still man enough for the job and will continue on SETI for as long as there are WU's. My older PC's may have to work on other projects.

We've now got 406 SETI members and if we can get some more to join up, then our RAC might continue in the right direction. But as can be seen from Temujin's combined stats, there's a lot of UBT members who have stopped regular crunching (on many projects, including SETI), which leaves just the "die-hards" to keep propping up the rest....!

Maybe we need a big recruitment drive again....!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Agree with all the above! Not often that happens ho hum..

But I'm really impressed with the Sztaki optimised client. I tried a few SETI WU's this week to compare over 24 hours...

4 SETI WU's = around 170 credits
Huge amount of Sztaki WU's = 400ish and climbing as they get validated

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/user_gr ... dg&id=5189
http://www.boincstats.com/stats/user_gr ... id=7816319

I think I made a mistake on the poll for the next crunchathon! Can I change my mind?

I'm gonna bang on about Sztaki until someone listens! :violent1:

Image Image

Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:I'm gonna bang on about Sztaki until someone listens! :violent1:
Ok, I've listened, just signed up one of my home computers that continually runs out of einstein WUs
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Great! Don't forget the optimised client Dave recommended here

http://forum.ukboincteam.com/viewtopic.php?t=435

Image Image

UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

Mike
Thats the SIMAP link.

I get the 404 error on Sztaki link
Have you still got that copy,  :?:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - JsF wrote:Mike
Thats the SIMAP link.

I get the 404 error on Sztaki link
Have you still got that copy,  :?:
I just went to the SZTAKI desktop grid forum and got this one
As to whether its the best one or not, I don't know yet, looked like the latest one to me
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

It seems to be corupted. shame.

But Mike may still have a copy of the one Dave found.

Jimmy
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

This should probably be in a new thread but anyway....

You've got sdg11201 - this is a slightly newer version - no idea what the differences are. This is the one I've been using for the last week or so.

Uploaded to my site - whether it's legal or not!

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/sophie_ellis ... g11203.zip
Last edited by UBT - Mikee on Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Temujin wrote:
UBT - Mikeejones wrote:I'm gonna bang on about Sztaki until someone listens! :violent1:
Ok, I've listened, just signed up one of my home computers that continually runs out of einstein WUs
Yup - that 32 WU's a day limit is a pain on Einstein...!

regards,

Tim
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:This should probably be in a new thread but anyway....

You've got sdg11201 - this is a slightly newer version - no idea what the differences are. This is the one I've been using for the last week or so.
Cheers Mike  :lol:
Last edited by UBT - JsF on Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Yup - that 32 WU's a day limit is a pain on Einstein...!
wouldn't be so bad if all 32 were 45 minute WUs, that would last me a day but I about 1/2 of em are 10 min WUs  :evil:
UBT - Mikeejones wrote:You've got sdg11201 - this is a slightly newer version
got it, thanks
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote: this is a slightly newer version - no idea what the differences are. This is the one I've been using for the last week or so.

Before averaged 35 minutes
Now averaging 8 min. spot on
thanks again

Jimmy

PS maybe you remove the link to the team mebers area just incase.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

PS maybe you remove the link to the team members area just incase.
It was in the public domain - probably still is somewhere so should be ok.

Image Image

UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:This should probably be in a new thread but anyway....

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/sophie_ellis ... g11203.zip

Nice1 Mike