Crunch3r optimised application for SETI

SETI@home and SETI BETA - project now closed, maybe for good :-(
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Crunch3r optimised application for SETI

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

It seems that crunch3r has deleted all of his source code and has now made it clear that he will not support the SETI project.

As such, if you take a look here:

http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/forum_t ... 655#329877 - see the msg from "Pappa" Posted 7 Jun 2006 17:41:35 UTC

you will see that he has made it clear to another SETI forum member, that he wishes that his application be removed from peoples PC's.

I would therefore strongly recommend to you to:

1) Set SETI to "No new work/tasks"
2) Wait for all your downloaded WU to be returned
3) exit BOINC
4) delete said application from your PC (in the "../projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu" folder
5) re-start BOINC
6) Set SETI to "Allow new work/tasks"

(Furthermore, you should be aware that it is against the terms of the GPL for you to re-distribute "Crunch3r's" application).

This is truly a SAD day for BOINC and the whole idea of open source and the GPL.

regards,

Tim

(Edit: tweaked above "instruction list")
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

I would not delete it at all if anyone has it on there BOINC client.

bugger him, he has no say over what people do with there BOINC client or what optimised apps they use.

It is not a sad day, it is one pathetic man having a sulk about SETI and now wants to get his own way :!:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:I would not delete it at all if anyone has it on there BOINC client.

bugger him, he has no say over what people do with there BOINC client or what optimised apps they use.

It is not a sad day, it is one pathetic man having a sulk about SETI and now wants to get his own way :!:
Hi David,

Well, to be honest, SETI can easily make the opti-client redundant, by generating a new version (v6 or something), which the opti client won't recognise and hence that's the end of it anyways....

Personally, I think there are TWO people "having a sulk" - one on each side....and neither are totally blameless....!

So, for now, as "crunch3r's" work (and hence his "copyleft") is now essentially going to be unsupported, so I would have thought that it is respectful to his wishes that people do delete it (hence my "recommendation" which is just being fair to "crunch3r").

Whether people do or not, is not down to me - it's their choice.

(And personally speaking, my two old "clunkers" that were happily returning SETI v4.x WU's in 2-4 hours (w/opti) and are now taking 20-40 hours (!!) on v5.x WU's (w/opti) will now be destined for "other things" - one will be given away to a worthy cause and the other will now be dedicated to Einstein).

regards,

Tim