Help Save Zimbabwe

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Help Save Zimbabwe

Post by UBT - Terry »

MEDIA RELEASE
26th June 2008

Online Vote for Zimbabwe

On May 9th www.helpsavezimbabwe.org was launched in Perth, Western Australia with the sole purpose of petitioning the UN to take action in order to resolve the current situation in Zimbabwe. Collectively, we demand that the violent campaign and blatant human rights abuses being carried out against the Zimbabwean people has to stop.

To date no action has been taken to assist these people, either by the UN, SADC, neighbouring countries or the international community.

Opposition Leader Morgan Tsvangirai has withdrawn from the Presidential Run-off Election, which was scheduled to be held on Friday 27th June 2008, in an attempt to end the campaign of violence towards the MDC and their Supporters. The Zimbabwe's Electoral Commission ruled last Sunday's withdrawal from the election by Tsvangirai had no legal force and that the poll would go ahead.

Whilst World Leaders are now saying the poll has no credibility, Mugabe has declared the voting will continue and "only God will remove him from office".

As no Free and Fair Election can presently be held in Zimbabwe, www.helpsavezimbabwe.org is offering both the Global Community and Zimbabweans from all over the world to have their vote on the website. Please go to the website and click on the "VOTE here" banner below the top Menu bar, or the one above.

Voting will commence at 12.00am Zimbabwe time on June 27th 2008 and will close at 11.59pm on June 30th 2008.

Results for both the Global Community and the Zimbabweans will be published separately on July 1st 2008.

Media Contact: Lisa Barnett Taylor
Email: lisa@helpsavezimbabwe.org
Mobile: Australia 0438 661 001

http://www.helpsavezimbabwe.org/default.aspx

Please take the time to vote thankyou all.

Terry
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I've registered my protest against Mugabi, but what I don't understand is why the UN don't get involved? Am I being cynical in realising that there is no Oil in Zimbabwe? :roll:
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

I have added my two penneth: I hope it will help, but I fear it will make no difference at all :cry:
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

I've signed up to do my bit, but also doubt that this will make much difference. The UN has continually proved itself to be next to useless. Perhaps Zimbabwe's only real hope actually lies in changes in South Africa next year when they will have a new President - one who has already made it clear that he is against what Mugabe is doing. A tough approach from South Africa, backed by other members of SADC, may be the only way forward.
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Done my bit but  no point as hes been doing it for years and the UN is nothing without USA,UK and the same old faces
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Signed up, for what it`s worth.
Mugabe needs a bullet hole in his head.
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Just had an email from the save Zimbabwe people Not had time to read it all as it is long, but have attached so anyone else who wants to can have a read...

Greetings to you, I hope this finds you in good spirits and health.

Thank you all for the good responses from the last letter I sent out a few weeks ago, it is good to know that I am on the right path.  Please accept my apologies to those who I have not answered yet - it's just impossible to keep up with everything.

Anyway, I hope you take the time to read this newsletter. Please, if you don't have time now then I invite you to come back later with a cup of tea and read it. I have sent this one in plain text in the hope it reaches as many people as possible.

Since Last contact

It's been three weeks and much has happened.  A Human Rights Lawyer has stepped up to the challenge and we've been having some good dialogue.  However, considering the urgency in this situation our best line of approach is a political one. We are, however, moving forward with researching the legal avenues that we can take.

There is a lot of things going on in the background, many just too lengthy to explain.  The following is something good that happened.

Australia Helping Zimbabwe organisation invited me to a peace walk last Sunday in Perth here in Australia.  My Family and a few friends went along to it. It was well organised and I met quite a number of good people.  Approximately 300 or so people turned up and we walked from Kings Park to the city, about a 1.5 km trip, where we grouped together and listened to some speeches outside a Church. The only mishap was a lack of power for the PA system and the media got the times mixed up so weren't present.   Collections were made and we all helped raise money to go to the suffering people in Zim.
Here are a few pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/janicekuah ... 072124301/

On the Ground in Zim

In much of the population people are staying close to home as much as possible - for those who have one of course. Many are just wanting to get out to a safer place. The Zim people are just making do with what they have. The feeling is past desperation and into numb disbelief at what is happening.

The people are suffering...

This situation has continued to spiral out of control and the violence has continued despite the elections being over. Mugabe and his henchmen are executing yet another operation, the main objective being to eliminate the opposition totally. Do you think this regime really wants what is best for the people? I don't think so...

...people are being killed still...

The international leaders are behind the eight ball and have been all along. The G8 meeting and the latest UN Security meetings have just resulted in more talks with no clear outcomes or actions. They may as well have taken a pool cue and played with the eight ball, maybe that would give them inkling to how to have a clear sighted objective instead of banging the ball around hoping for a fluke. Do you think our leaders are acting in the best interests of the people? I don't think so...

...and all the while people grow hungrier...

The proposed sanctions would have put further pressure on the regime for sure...but also the people and would just prolong the pain. In any case these sanctions are an inappropriate action to combat what is actually happening and to divert the situation to a positive outcome. It's like trying to play billiards with a toothpick; it's just not going to be effective.   Do you think that a regime that is very aware of ending up in hard walls for its crimes against humanity is going to give in because of sanctions? I don't think so...

...and all the while people are being tortured...

The agreed illegitimacy of the Zimbabwe government should automatically halt any trade with them. However, any government or company can still legally trade with Zimbabwe presently, including sending more weapons from China. The international community cannot legally stop this action. Do you think Mugabe cares much about this, whilst the world discusses these things and a foreign company is building his new airstrip behind his mansion? I don't think so...

...and all the while people are being beaten...

The common consensus amongst the world leaders is still with a unity or power sharing government. The bullying tacts and brutal tricks by this regime have shown in the past that this is not realistic for a long term resolution.  Do you think Mugabe cares whilst he and his mates are going about hunting down the MDC members, activists and reporters to eliminate them? I don't think so...

...and all the while people are disappearing...

A transitional government makes better sense and there is good reasoning for this. However, I don't believe this will occur simply because we are dealing with an unreasonable regime who will not relinquish power for already above mentioned reasons.  Do you think you can reason with an unreasonable man? I don't think so...

...and all the while people are left homeless...

In any case there won't be many MDC members left if this situation is left to go on the way it has been.  Mugabe and his mates are actually a few steps ahead and securing everything they can for the next operation. Do you think Mugabe and his mates are worried and digging their trenches because they know the truth and see the writing on the wall?  I think so...

...and all the while people are frightened for their life...

It's quite ironic that the international body of this world which is supposedly democratic is fundamentally not at all. The UN is rendered motionless because of a very undemocratic modus operandi: the veto system. Firstly anything put forward to the Security Council has to be a mild resolution in the first place in hope of winning support from all member states. Ultimately though one of them, for whatever ulterior motive, can disagree and veto a decision. Do you think this is an undemocratic process and makes the UN inept by design? I think so...

..and all the while people suffer gravely because of this...

Down on the ground in Zimbabwe, it has got to a point where there is going to be no options left and many more people will die in a blood bath unless there is decisive ACTION from our world leaders and the UN. Do you think there should be active involvement from them and not just big discussion about inconsequential things? I think so...

...the people can only tolerate so much...

The UN is the responsible body of our nations that is there to represent and protect the people on this earth. They have a mandate to uphold the international laws and protect our human rights. If this means changing the way it works to achieve this, then this should be done. Do you think they should live up to what they were set up to do in the first place? I think so...

...the people might not suffer then...

Decisive ACTION is required from our world leaders and the UN. The organisation needs to respond appropriately to be able to solve the world's problems. The process needs to be such that a decision can be made followed by the appropriate action. This is not just to solve the Zimbabwe state of affairs but also the worlds other bad states, injustices, hunger and climate ills. Do you think the world leaders, if not the UN itself, should rise up to the challenges ahead? I think so...

...then the people will be happy...

We as human individuals are not useless by design, nor should the body that represents us be. If we expect this body to act, then we must too.  We need to support the UN, let them know that the people are behind them.  Do you think there is anything you can do to make this happen? I think so...

...but the real answer is with you.

The Next Step

I have come to a stage with the Help Save Zimbabwe organisation where it is bigger than I can handle by myself.  My focus is spread too thinly to be properly effective and have had to take a step back to consider my options.  However, I have decided to persist and take the next step forward as I would not only be letting myself down but also the people who have signed this petition and ultimately the Zimbabweans.

To date, I have just been ignored from the politicians and the UN. I have not received one single reply from the many letters and information I have sent them. I think it may be a political ploy to ignore little fellas like me. This would make the whole effort so far to no avail if I accept this.

To combat this I am going to build a "People Power" facility into the website so that people who want to be more involved can select from a variety of actions to help the cause.  This can be anything from emailing, ring and faxing targeted organisations to organising a protest march in your town/city. I'll be building a lot into this site including a "Care Factor" meter to measure leaders and countries care factors.  There will also be "Contact Action" facility that can be added to by members. There will be tools for members to use and they will be able to communicate with other members who have indicated that they want to want to be involved.  The whole facility will be all about uniting people in action so we can augment our single efforts to something of much greater effect.

If you have any ideas yourself that you think should be implemented then let me know.

I will also be building this in such a way that I can easily adapt, or morph, to other causes like bringing down the price of fuel or boycotting the world cup etc.  It will be a tool people can use to unite with others and take real action against injustices. You could say that it is a friendly virus, one that will spread when it needs to and develop into a different strain, for a specific purpose, then die out when it has achieved its end.

As already mentioned, my focus is spread too thinly with everything so I would like to propose to you, the members, to support this organisation financially. I need a full time person to help me out with the everyday running of things so I can concentrate my energies on building this action machine for you. If you do think it a good idea then go to the website and donate a few bucks if you can. Making a regular donation would be great if you can do it.

If you don't think this is a good idea then please email and tell me why.

Note on donations: If you haven't got any spare cash or are donating to another cause then please don't feel you have to. (And don't feel guilty and write and tell me about it. ;-) I only want money from people who can afford it and believe in this idea. If for any reason that I decide not to go ahead with hiring someone then the money will be shared between the other worthy causes.

My services will continue to be free.

Personal Message

Last newsletter I talked about what I thought love and humanity was. So just a reminder:

Humanity...I have come to believe, is simply the love one has for one's self, others and the world and all its creatures. This love, our humanity, is expressed not only in the words that we speak but more importantly in our actions.

Our actions are usually derived from an emotion. A desire for something will cause you to take action to achieve this desire. The bigger the desire the more action and if you don't act then you will be frustrated.

I want Mugabe and his henchmen out so they can't do the horrific things to the people any more and feel very strongly about it, so in turn will do all I can to cause his demise through my actions. This is my passion that has turned into action. The feelings that we feel, good or bad, can be turned into action. Simple stuff, but basically this is how it works.

To take this a step further, please consider this: Give to receive, but first you must give.

This I believe is the key, the answer to our problem - if you want friendship then you must give it...If you want love, give it away and for sure you will receive it. So if we want action from our leaders then we must first provide some of our own action.

I am asking you to consider your humanity and make use of your emotions, both good and bad, and to turn them into action.  Even if it is a little action as big things are usually made from many little things. If everyone makes some effort towards this then we will have great effects.

Like the rivers that are derived of the streams that flow from the trickles that come together from the rain drops, the torrent will come.

The time has now come for us do this for Zimbabwe.

Let it rain people...

Yours in waiting,

Mark DM Taylor.
Help Save Zimbabwe

www.helpsavezimbabwe.org

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.4.10/1549 - Release Date: 12/07/2008 16:31