Web page icon?

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Web page icon?

Post by UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke »

OK, I don't know what the technical term for it is but when I go to some sites such as BOINC http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ or IMDB http://www.imdb.com using Firefox I get a little site-specific icon next to the details in the address bar. It also shows against the site's name if the page is bookmarked and appears on the tab header too.

If it's an easy thing to do would it be worth adding to the forum and team websites for a bit more "corporate branding"? At the moment they just show a boring page icon something to make them stand out a bit more, maybe the union flag from the team logo, would be nice.

Cheers
Temujin

Re: Web page icon?

Post by Temujin »

that'll be  something like favicon.ico, I'm sure TPTB can sort something for you.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Web page icon?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke wrote:OK, I don't know what the technical term for it is but when I go to some sites such as BOINC http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ or IMDB http://www.imdb.com using Firefox I get a little site-specific icon next to the details in the address bar. It also shows against the site's name if the page is bookmarked and appears on the tab header too.

If it's an easy thing to do would it be worth adding to the forum and team websites for a bit more "corporate branding"? At the moment they just show a boring page icon something to make them stand out a bit more, maybe the union flag from the team logo, would be nice.

Cheers

Hi "Gysmo"

Yup - it's called a "favicon" and it's (IIRC) a 16x16 pixel graphic which is saved in the "root" folder of any website and basically acts as a "reminder" of the website you're on (as if you needed reminding)...!

So, if anyone fancies making such a graphic, then feel free to email it/them to me and if needs be, if we get a few good ones, then we can ask the "membership" which one is the one to use...!

regards,

Tim
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Ah ha! Cheers guys.

My graphics skills are zilch so unless you want a UK Blob Team icon I'll leave it to someone who knows what they're doing.  :?
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

Updated team web page spotted! Cheers
UBT_Grumpy Old Bloke

And now the forum.  :thumbright:

Thanks
Darren

Post by Darren »

Pretty boring one for the forum but it will do until someone comes up with a better one!
Doesn't show up on my ie7 beta!
Mind the chat doesn't work either
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Dazza wrote:Doesn't show up on my ie7 beta!
no surprise there then :D

they both work fine with firefox/linux
Darren

Post by Darren »

But the bizzare thing is, I set up a test forum using the code from this forum and the favicon works fine on that one.

Typical.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Dazza wrote:Doesn't show up on my ie7 beta!
does it fail to display ALL favicons (any website) or just the forums?
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

just done a quick google and found this

IE7 does not render .ico image files. These are the Favicons that are displayed next to commenters names if the site they put in the URL field has a Favicon. I’ve reported this to Microsoft but it doesn’t seem to be something anyone wants to seriously address.

full article here
Darren

Post by Darren »

Hard to tellbecause if it doesn't show a favicon I have always assumed they don't use one!
All I know is it fails to recognize some and also it regularly "forgets" some that had favicons set up.
I've tried clearing the cache and stuff like that.
But why it should recognise one site and not another when they are both using exactly the same code (or were) is beyond me.
UBT - PaulC

Post by UBT - PaulC »

The strange thing is i use firefox at home and work. At work the Union Jack fav icon works, but i cannot get it to work at home. It just doesn't appear.

Very bizzare.

Paul.

*update* - If I logout from the forum. The favicon appears, then when i log back in the icon disappers.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PaulC wrote:The strange thing is i use firefox at home and work. At work the Union Jack fav icon works, but i cannot get it to work at home. It just doesn't appear.
what version of firefox?
it works ok for me in V1.5.0.1 at home (linux) and 1.5.0.3 at work (linux and winxp).
Mind you, it also worked fine with the previous version too.
UBT - PaulC

Post by UBT - PaulC »

both 1.5.03
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Just added the forum to my favourites to see if I could see the image and its there ok on IE6
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Dazza wrote:Pretty boring one for the forum but it will do until someone comes up with a better one!
Have "nicked" the favicon.ico from the forum and now using it on the Team website.

Thanks Darren !!

regards,

Tim