The UBT SETI "Crunchathon"

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

UBT - Timbo wrote:And right on cue - we're at 9,002,341.77 SETI credits - and it's just 11pm (as I predicted).

It is SO COOL being predictable.....!

Big ED   :rr:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

mikeejones1 wrote:Bu**er Bu**er bu**er (that ain't butter BTW!).

Just got back and the modem was flashing at me = no connection! Been disconnected since 17th so ran out of Seti WU's! Computers been doing the backups instead and so I've just uploaded about 50/60 various WU's inc. HashClash/Einstein/Rosetta's and loads of Seti's. Good job I had them as backup's or the computer would have just been sitting here twiddling electronic thumbs! Just checked them and they've ALL had credit granted so that's a bonus.

Well done Mike - good to see that you had "planned" for it, by having some spare WU's (from other projects) "just in case".

And every credit counts, irrespective of which project it's for....!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote:And right on cue - we're at 9,002,341.77 SETI credits - and it's just 11pm (as I predicted). It is SO COOL being predictable.....!

Yup - and don't the girls love me all the more because of it.... 8)

regards,

Tim
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Hi all

To try see if this crunchathon has been worthwhile I've written a quick and dirty page.
It shows the UBT seti credits at midight each day (from the 9th)

As the daily increase moves all over the place, both before and during the crunchathon, I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Anyway, the page is here for anyone thats interested.
UBT - BHCJackie

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

Temujin wrote:One thing I noticed from the last crunch weekend was that it took 2 whole weeks after the crunch weekend for ALL my einstein WUs to be awarded credit.
I still have one Eiinstein WU awaiting credit.
WU 6186462 still needs one result because one recipient didn't reply before the deadline.  Ho hum :(
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - BHCJackie wrote: WU 6186462 still needs one result because one recipient didn't reply before the deadline.  Ho hum :([/color]
thats power mac users for ya, tsch
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Well one good thing came out of the modem being offline for 3 days - I've just had my highest ever daily 'total' and 'Seti' credits ever!  :D
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - PiezPiedPy

UBT - Timbo wrote:
UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote:And right on cue - we're at 9,002,341.77 SETI credits - and it's just 11pm (as I predicted). It is SO COOL being predictable.....!

Yup - and don't the girls love me all the more because of it.... 8)

regards,

Tim

I dunno - some people
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Just 24 hours left of the Crunchathon and the current situation is:

Total SETI credits in 6 days: 369,711.25

Total Overall credits in 6 days: 584,887.39

at a credits per hour average of: 4,060.58

Expected total SETI credits earned in 7 days: 431,208

Expected total overall credits earned in 7 days: 682,176

So, by midnight on Sunday night, we should have just broken the 17 million credits threshold.....!

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Well my last SETI WU's were sent in for this crunch week, now got 500hrs worth of WCG to go through, but I think it will o quite quick as the FightAids@Home WU's are over exaggerated for estimate time to completion
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Just 12 hours left....!

Total SETI credits in 6½ days: 401,905.59

Total Overall credits in 6½ days: 633,851.96

at a credits per hour average of: 4,055.74

Predicted totals (after 168 hours):

SETI: 431,268

Overall: 681,363

Making a Total Predicted Overall credit total at the end of the Crunchathon: 17,022,075.86

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Now only 6 hours left....!

Total SETI credits in 6.75 days: 417,791.71

Total Overall credits in 6.75 days: 659,172.43

at a credits per hour average of: 4,055.74

So, as of now we're at 16,999,884.34 TOTAL credits !!!
!

Predicted totals (after 168 hours):

SETI: 432,297

Overall: 682,058

Making a Total Predicted Overall credit total at the end of the Crunchathon: 17,022,770.23

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Just a little reminder.

Sometime before 12 midnight tonight, please make sure that you click on the "update" project button to send in all your credits for each project you are crunching for.

Then, when the midnight stats update occurs, we'll be able to take into account all the credits earned during the "Crunchathon".

regards,

Tim
UBT - PiezPiedPy

oooooooooooooooo

Gettin excited - just like when the lezzies came for tea
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:oooooooooooooooo

Gettin excited - just like when the lezzies came for tea
Some peeps have all the fun.  :shock:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I now declare that the UK BOINC Team's 1st Crunchathon officially over..... :D

Results are still being tabulated, forumlated, condensed, translated and transcribed, but the initial data is as follows:

FINAL Total SETI credits: 434,473.95

FINAL Total Overall credits: 681,967.30

at a credits per hour average of: 4059.33

So, as of now we're at 17,022,679.21 TOTAL credits !!!!

WELL DONE EVERYBODY - we'll see what happens in the next two/three days as work returned gets credited, but we've certainly made a great effort to try and get to #1 in UK for SETI project credits.

regards,

Tim
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

Good job the crunchathon was last week.

SETI have had problems over the last few days and cannot produce work fast enougth to keep up with demand now. :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

That date of overtaking just keeps getting pushed back more and more
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:That date of overtaking just keeps getting pushed back more and more
Hi David,

Yup - you're quite right - think this is because SETI is now giving out less credits per day and the WU's now take longer (due to them being "Enhanced" - think "Extended" is a better term !!).

Stats wise:

Exactly Two months ago: The difference between us and them was 3.2 million and at a catching up rate of 700,000 per month, it was going to take 4 months to pass them (making it sometime end of July...)

Now: (which happens to be half way in between when we set the target and when we expect to reach it):

We're 1,408,159 behind (one might have expected us to be 1.6 million behind, so we've done a bit better) and
we're now catching up at a rate of around 395,000 per month.

So, to overtake them (based on the "current" difference in "crunching rates") will take perhaps one or two extra months (compared to my original prediction).

Of course, I hope that over the course of the next few weeks:

- we can increase our crunching power as new members join us
- we can remove the impact of members crunching for WCG (as the "Now" stats were taken over the last 24 hours, so are slightly "worse" due to some members taking part in the "3rd Crunch").

So, it's not all "doom and gloom" but I share your opinion that it isn't going to be "that" easy until maybe we get within a couple of hundred thousand. And then I predict that, as happened when we got close to other teams, you'll find we will suddenly "pick up speed"....

regards,

Tim