Theoretically ...best bang ( boinc ) for buck pc ?

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
fellie
UBT Contributor

Theoretically ...best bang ( boinc ) for buck pc ?

Post by fellie »

I thought the laptop I got, amd dual 1.9 was good vfw at £292 delivered, until I noticed it does only 20% of my points alongside the dual 2.66 home pc.. so from a boinc perspective maybe not ..

What is the best bang for buck way of boincing ?

I was thinking, quad core, overclocked, xp 64 if buying new.. and just generally scrounging pc parts if not paying :D
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Build your own Q6600 system only cost around the £350 mark depending on where you shop for parts, with a good mobo and memory etc you'll get 3.4Ghz per core easy.

Terry
Ben

Post by Ben »

I built mine for about 400-450 ish, but at the time the quad cost quite a bit more, but now you could build a good decent machine for 250-400.

Go for the new 45nm jobs, since you gain an extra 20% performance and less power from them. :D

Good sites to build from:
Dabs -> www.dabs.com
Ebuyer -> www.ebuyer.com (they can be a bit unrealiable sometimes)
Novatech -> www.novatech.co.uk

P.S - Question for anyone, does ram speed make much of a difference in BOINC projects?
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

does ps3 boinc ?
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

fellie wrote:does ps3 boinc ?
Yes it does and I'm sure Temujin would be happy if anyone else would join him!

http://forum.ukboincteam.com/viewtopic. ... hlight=ps3
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Ben

Post by Ben »

I know the PS3 has a dedicated project (PS3 Grid) but theory says once Linux is installed on it your could run almost any BOINC project.  :?:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Ben wrote:I know the PS3 has a dedicated project (PS3 Grid) but theory says once Linux is installed on it your could run almost any BOINC project.  :?:
You're right that it has a dedicated project but its Folding@Home (non boinc).
With linux on it, it can run several boinc projects
PS3Grid
Yoyo
Einstein
Seti
and I think Riesel Sieve & Milkyway
[edit] Simap
Of those, PS3Grid and Yoyo definitely make full use of the PS3's special SPE processors, I dunno about the others (but I don't think they do)
The project obviously has to provide an application for the PS3 cpu, most don't.

And yes, any help would be much appreciated
Last edited by Temujin on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Temujin wrote:
Ben wrote:I know the PS3 has a dedicated project (PS3 Grid) but theory says once Linux is installed on it your could run almost any BOINC project.  :?:
You're right that it has a dedicated project but its Folding@Home (non boinc).
With linux on it, it can run several boinc projects
PS3Grid
Yoyo
Einstein
Seti
and I think Riesel Sieve & Milkyway

Of those, PS3Grid and Yoyo definitely make full use of the PS3's special SPE processors, I dunno about the others (but I don't think they do)
The project obviously has to provide an application for the PS3 cpu, most don't.

And yes, any help would be much appreciated
And ABC don't forget  :lol: