MILESTONE: Have passed AMD Users into 46th place (World)

Team milestones, Badges from projects, congratulations to members regarding personal achievements (such as User Of The Day project awards, or reaching specific targets). Also topics about GRC (Gridcoin) rewards.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

MILESTONE: Have passed AMD Users into 46th place (World)

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi, all,

Above says it all.

Keep on crunching - 2nd (big) target is now to overtake Team CF in UK stats !!

(And we'll be going up the World rankings soon enough - next eam in sights: Team USA - about 300,000 ahead and with a RAC of only 50,000 - our RAC is just under 100,000 so give us a week or so !!)

And then we're in 45th place !

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Fri May 19, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

:wav:
Darren

Post by Darren »

We are 47th Again!  :(
Darren

Post by Darren »

46th again - This could take a while.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

at 0700 BBC CCE awarded them over 21,000 :-(
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:at 0700 BBC CCE awarded them over 21,000 :-(
I wouldn't be too worried 'bout that.

We know that UBT and AMD are "neck and neck" on the credits side, but our RAC is higher, so the "overtaking" manouevre was always going to take one or two days.

So, the odd "one step forward, two steps back" won't harm us, as overall, in about two/three days, there'll be clear water between us (with UBT in the lead !!)

regards,

Tim
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

He He He
UBT - Calum Mercer

Post by UBT - Calum Mercer »

they seem to be putting up a very strong fight!  :violent1:

which is good news for theprojects - as long as we win in the end

:violent3:  :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Calum Mercer wrote:they seem to be putting up a very strong fight!  :violent1:

which is good news for theprojects - as long as we win in the end

:violent3:  :D
Don't think there's any concern (on our part) about getting past - we will - eventually !!

But AMD are having a Team competition at present to see who can generate the most credits during "spring" - they did this last year apprarently...

We could do this, but sadly, Temujin would win everytime !! :shock:

regards,

Tim
UBT - Calum Mercer

true and I only like to compete in competitions that I can win :lol:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

But AMD are having a Team competition at present to see who can generate the most credits during "spring" - they did this last year apprarently...

We could do this, but sadly, Temujin would win everytime !!
They have 2 leagues - 1 for pharmers (multiple hosts) like Timbo and Temujin, and a league for the rest of us lower mortals (3, 2 or single hosts)! So it might be worth thinking about in the long term.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:They have 2 leagues - 1 for pharmers (multiple hosts) like Timbo and Temujin, and a league for the rest of us lower mortals (3, 2 or single hosts)! So it might be worth thinking about in the long term.
if we do something like that I could just count my 2 PCs at home, lowly things they are  :D
UBT - Calum Mercer

hasn't summer time arrived now though - shouldn't they be slowing down? :D

Like the idea of a team competition for 1 or 2 computers only
UBT - PiezPiedPy

UBT - Calum Mercer wrote:Like the idea of a team competition for 1 or 2 computers only

I Like this idea too :)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Calum Mercer wrote:hasn't summer time arrived now though - shouldn't they be slowing down? :D

Like the idea of a team competition for 1 or 2 computers only
I've got no problem about this at all - was thinking about how it could be emulated.

Trouble is the stats, which "sum" all the credits together (from all PC's) and hence make it difficult to "extract" the data for a specific PC - esp. if that PC is crunching for multiple projects.

And the issue is that with some projects, the fastest PC doesn't always win, or maybe an optimised program might be used which claims lower credits (as it completes more quickly) but then is awarded more credits through the quorum...!

And then again, the most likely cruncher who will win, is the one who leaves his/her PC on for the longest.....!

So, without being "picky" I need to think a little on this to figure how we could do this....and be as fair as possible to all concerned....

Maybe one idea is we have a number of "sub-teams" with specific crunchers in each team - such as members based in particular "counties" of the UK (which makes it nice and random !!).

And then each month, we see which "county" has generated the most credits......??

Or maybe we pick a random number and the team in that position in the ranking (that month) gets some award ??

Whatever we do, much be "sort of" easy to administrate, while at the same time being easy to see, so we know how each "team" is doing...

Any other ideas?

(Of course whatever idea "works" can be done either all year round or can be just for specific periods...!)

regards,

Tim
Semblar

Post by Semblar »

I like the idea of subteams - but i also think it should be possible for all of us to participate, even the big hitters like Temujin.

Would it be possible to work out some kind of handicap/balancing system (like dividing by the number of computers, or scores based on percentage increase/decrease of RAC?) so that all of us - large and small crunchers - can compete on an even playing field?

Alternatively, in a team-based competition, group the teams based on RAC or number of computers to balance them so far as possible... It would probably mean Temujin being a team of one, mind you!

Dan
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Semblar wrote:I like the idea of subteams - but i also think it should be possible for all of us to participate, even the big hitters like Temujin.

Would it be possible to work out some kind of handicap/balancing system (like dividing by the number of computers, or scores based on percentage increase/decrease of RAC?) so that all of us - large and small crunchers - can compete on an even playing field?

Alternatively, in a team-based competition, group the teams based on RAC or number of computers to balance them so far as possible... It would probably mean Temujin being a team of one, mind you!

Dan
Hi Dan,

Agreed that having "sub-teams" should be open to all - that's why it might be a bit tricky "balancing" the difference between the "big hitters", like Temujin and the "little peeps" who may only have one "older-spec" PC (but yet whose contribution is just as valued as anyone elses !!).

Within the stats, there is the capability for those who have not "hidden" their "hosts" in each project for the stats to show the number of PC's each cruncher has.

So, an "easy" calculation might be:

Totals credits (per period, when competition is running) divided by total number of PC's.

This should then provide some degree of competition between those with large farms and someone with just one PC, as things will (hopefully) balance out.

e.g.
(taken from SETI, but assume this is taken from ALL projects)

sparks - RAC = 735.92, Hosts = 16, RAC per host = 45.937
Pompey-Keith - RAC = 475.93, Hosts = 11, RAC per host = 43.266
Unimatrix-001 - RAC = 400.98, Hosts = 10, RAC per host = 40.098

But when you then put Temujin into the equation, it does go a bit pear shaped:

Temujin - RAC = 33,576, Hosts = 52, RAC per project = 645 !!

This still favours those with faster PC's, as they will complete more WU's in a given time. And if they keep them on 24/7, then they may be "tough" to beat....

But it might give a chance to someone who doesn't currently crunch 24/7 to consider leaving their PC's on longer and hence the Team benefits (as do the projects of course).

Of course, we could always split the competition into:

Those with more than 20 hosts - Premier League
Those with more than 10 hosts - Championship
Those with more than 5 hosts - League One
Those with upto 4 hosts - League Two

Any other idea's?

regards,

Tim
Semblar

Post by Semblar »

It's never easy to work out a totally "fair" system - working on a simple percentage increase in RAC would actuallly favour the smaller crunchers for example, as it'd be far easier to leave one PC on 24/7 than for somebody who already has a round-the-clock farm running.

As you say, pure number of PC's isn't necessarily the fairest way to do things - I've only been crunching for a month or so (not including the SETI classic WU's) - but because this PC and my laptop are both fairly quick, I'm not doing too badly  :wink: I'd be in league two with your proposals though, so I might do pretty well!

Is there a (relatively simple) combination of the two which could be used? Perhaps baseline us all with RAC per computer - and then a league table of % change from that baseline?
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

An easy option would be to have teams that are already in existance. That is, we could have Einstein vs CPDN or Rosetta vs BBC etc. I guess you would have to choose projects of similar RAC for a fair 'fight'. Temujin could participate with his 2 PCs at home so that he doesn't skew the fight too much.

Chris.
Semblar

on the original thread topic...

Post by Semblar »

The catchup stats show AMD users as having just lost over 550k credit on World GG.... don't know if it's temporary or not - I thought it was only the climate prediction that moved credit with you - but if so I guess we're past them for good now!

Dan
UBT - Halifax-lad

Re: on the original thread topic...

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Semblar wrote:The catchup stats show AMD users as having just lost over 550k credit on World GG.... don't know if it's temporary or not - I thought it was only the climate prediction that moved credit with you - but if so I guess we're past them for good now!

Dan
Just a glitch in the stats
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: on the original thread topic...

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Semblar wrote:The catchup stats show AMD users as having just lost over 550k credit on World GG.... don't know if it's temporary or not - I thought it was only the climate prediction that moved credit with you - but if so I guess we're past them for good now!

Dan
Hi Dan,

IIRC: BBC, CPDN and Seasonal all allow their credits to be moved from one team to another (as members move about - the other projects "keep" the credits earned for that team, with the team, after the member has left).

On the WCG stats, I too saw that suddently AMD lost a half million credits and was waiting for the 3pm stats to confrim it - but it showed the credits total as "back to normal", so as David said, must be a glitch !!

regards,

Tim
UBT - PiezPiedPy

UBT - Timbo wrote:Of course, we could always split the competition into:

Those with more than 20 hosts - Premier League
Those with more than 10 hosts - Championship
Those with more than 5 hosts - League One
Those with upto 4 hosts - League Two
Sounds like the best plan with League Three for Single host

you could even split Leauges into Classes i.e

AMD
Pentium
Below 386

etc.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:We know that UBT and AMD are "neck and neck" on the credits side, but our RAC is higher, so the "overtaking" manouevre was always going to take one or two days.

So, the odd "one step forward, two steps back" won't harm us, as overall, in about two/three days, there'll be clear water between us (with UBT in the lead !!)

regards,

Tim
Seems we are now pulling away from AMD Users, having passed them late last night !

Time will tell if they get a sudden "burst" of credits like last time, so keep on crunching - we need to push hard in order to retain our hard fought position...!

regards,

Tim