SETI Optimised app & SETI Enhanced

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - PaulT

SETI Optimised app & SETI Enhanced

Post by UBT - PaulT »

It's not fully tested yet, but I have managed to get boinc to switch sucessfully between one of crunch3r's optimised apps and the new enhanced app.

If anyone wants to try this then please do so, But backup your BOINC folder first

Download This.  The zip contains a modified app_info.xml and the Windows SETI Enhanced app.  

Exit Boinc.  Install the optimised Boinc client and SETI app as you normally would if you have already removed it.  Extract the above zip file to the BOINC/projects/setiathome folder (just as if you were installing an optimised app).  

The info_app.xml file assumes that your optimised seti app is named "setiathome_4.11_windows_intelx86.exe", if it's not you need to either rename the app file (quickest and easiest way) or modify the info_app.xml file and change all instances of setiathome_4.11_windows_intelx86.exe with the name of the application file.

Linux users will have to modify the info_app.xml file to match the filenames of the applications and just copy it to the BOINC/projects/setiathome folder (I have not got the Linux verson of enhanced yet so cannot make a zip file)

Restart Boinc and (hopefully) everything will be up and running again and boinc will switch between apps as and when needed:D
Temujin

Re: SETI Optimised app & SETI Enhanced

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PaulT wrote:Linux users will have to modify the info_app.xml file to match the filenames of the applications and just copy it to the BOINC/projects/setiathome folder (I have not got the Linux verson of enhanced yet so cannot make a zip file)
Nice one Paul

I'll see if I can get it going on linux tonight
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

I have had this setup running all day now and it seems to be running along happily enougth switching between apps as and when the workunits require but I have noticed a couple of things.

1.  Don't use a calibrating client, alougth it don't affect the credit claimed for enhanced, it plays havoc with the old seti credits (I've gone down from claiming approx 30 credits to 5-10 per workunit).  Try one of these with an optimised benchmark. SETI@alpha

2.  Some of the enhanced workunits have an earlier deadline than others.  I've got 18th, 16th and 14th May but these workunits were not downloaded in that order.  This has resulted in boinc pausing a workunit and starting another with an earlier date as boinc is reporting that my computer is over committed.  So don't set the cache too high.

Other than these minor incidents though, everything seems to be going OK
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

UBT - PaulT wrote:2.  Some of the enhanced workunits have an earlier deadline than others.  I've got 18th, 16th and 14th May but these workunits were not downloaded in that order.  This has resulted in boinc pausing a workunit and starting another with an earlier date as boinc is reporting that my computer is over committed.  So don't set the cache too high.
That's the way enhanced works when a WU is ready to be sent out the server looks at the Angle range of the WU and assigns it a date, so each WU you get should have various dates on them