Einstein@Home (Do not use)

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Einstein@Home (Do not use)

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

I have been using the optimised Einstein App for the last couple of days and am impressed with what I have seen

My WU's are 50% quicker than before and others are reporting faster times as well. The results I have sent back have all validated & got credit

Thread about Optimisation@Einstein@Home

To install the optimised app all you need to do is download the relevant Zip file from below, it contains a .exe file for Einstein, just extract the file to the Einstein folder in BOINC and it should overwrite the existing .exe file in there.

I would make sure your cache is empty of Einstein WU's 1st before you do this, then let the WU's flow again once installed, the WU processing will speed up massively

Caution: Use at your own risk

Edit Windows only

Need to know what processor type your comp had got CPUID, download install the program, once installed open it and on the display around the middle of the page is your processor type if SSE2 is there you can use S37a

D40 -> 3DNow! optimised windows executable
K6-2,K6-III,Athlon,Duron,AthlonXP,Sempron,Athlon64,C3,Samuel-II,Ezra,Nehemiah,Winchip2

C40 -> optimised x86 compatible windows executable

S38 -> optimised x86-SSE compatible executable

S39 ->  optimised x86-SSE compatible executable

S39l ->  optimised SSE compatible windows executable
Change: S39L needs less L1 cache (~11kB) than S39 (~33kB)

C37 -> New version better than all of the below

S37a -> This is a SSE2 version of C37

387  -> 386, Family 4 (486,5x86,MediaGX), Family 5 (Pentium,PentiumMMX,K5,K6(all),6x86,MediaGX-MMX) and some others oldies.

A36  -> Family 6 (AMD K7 core processors,PentiumPro,PentiumII,PentiumIII,6x86MX,M2), Family 7 (Itanium), Family 15 (Athlon64,Pentium4 and so...)
Last edited by UBT - Halifax-lad on Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.
UBT - BHCJackie

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

David, which one do I use for a Pentium M 725? :?
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:David, which one do I use for a Pentium M 725? :?
I don't know :?: If its a new processor type use the A36, it doesn't really matter too much which one is used as they are just tweaked to perform better on certain processors
UBT - BHCJackie

I don't know
I'm so disappointed now. :( You're my tame expert.
I purchased GertII in October so I suppose she's pretty new. I'll try the A36 and if it goes pear-shaped I'll blame you :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:
I don't know
I'm so disappointed now. :( You're my tame expert.
I purchased GertII in October so I suppose she's pretty new. I'll try the A36 and if it goes pear-shaped I'll blame you :lol:
A36 will work just fine don't worry, the 387 is just optimised to work better with older processors they both do the same job, just work better under different processors
UBT - Halifax-lad

Updated the thread above to include the newest version of the optimised app out for Einstein.

Thanks to Jackie, who spotted that the update I made last night had not made it through the DB recovery this morning:!:
UBT - BHCJackie

No worries mate
UBT - Halifax-lad

Got fed up of updating the thread seen as though there seems to be a new version everyday, but this one now for the moment seems to be the quickest, I complete a WU in 55 mins :!:

Seems to work with most CPU's

S41.06 - SSE compatible windows executable

- FPU based trigonometry with 4kB data
- common denominator for 4 pairs
- better FPU/SSE overlapping
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

What's the best version to run on an Athlon64, The SSE or the 3DNow?
UBT - Halifax-lad

Use the one above I have posted, everyone seems to like it as its really quick
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

I check here for new clients

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=3898

latest i've seen is S41.07 sposed to be approx 2% faster again  :D not checked it yet though, installing it after me chicken deli
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:I check here for new clients

I have given in checking for new clients now, its pathetic the amount that come out, Einstein need to get a grip and release the app within there's, they have been promising it for ages, but still nothing happens
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:
UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:I check here for new clients

I have given in checking for new clients now, its pathetic the amount that come out, Einstein need to get a grip and release the app within there's, they have been promising it for ages, but still nothing happens
http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/app_test.php
UBT - Halifax-lad

Thanks for that

I wonder which one they will chose to start off Einstein with, I also wonder why they need to test it :?  Plenty of messages on the boards to say it works