Yoyo@home

The section for those minor projects that are around, such as Yafu, Yoyo@home and also including those that are "non-intensive", such as WUProp, which can be run in the background.
Ram Raider

Yoyo@home

Post by Ram Raider »

It's getting difficult to keep up but here's another one

http://yoyo8.homedns.org:88/yoyo/

This appears to be a test project set up by one of the German teams. At the moment it's just issuing an extended Uppercase application (with work units taking about 30 mins each). Not sure whether it will ever do any real work.

Acount creation is open and team has been created.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

03.08.2007 Windows version
Big thanks to Codemann who compiled the Windows wrapper and did a great support. The windows version is now also ready for testing and I released new OGR work units to celebrate it. The project now enters Beta state.
If you are interested in applications for other platforms write a mail to yoyo at mailueberfall dot de or use the forum.
If you have problems with the project reset it, it should work afterwards.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Ram Raider

Post by Ram Raider »

If you're running McAfee Virus Scan, beware
VirusScan Enterprise: The file C:\Program Files\BOINC\projects\yoyo8.homedns.org_88_yoyo\crunch_1.01_windows_intelx86.exe is infected with Proxy-DistNet Trojan. The file was successfully deleted.(running VirusScan Enter 8.0 OAS)
This means the download fails as the file gets deleted immediately.

Anybody else seen this problem?

I use Avast on my other PCs and that's OK.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

No probs with AVG free.

Image Image

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I have found that if you have a multiprocessor core than you HAVE to run more than this project by itself!

To me it looks like each WU is trying to write to the same 'slot', sees there's something all ready in there and errors out. Works fine when 1 core is doing this and the other core is doing something else - ALWAYS errors out if both cores are doing yoyo's.

Image Image

Ram Raider

Post by Ram Raider »

Should be fixed now although I haven't tried it.

From Boinc Synergy forums
It should now be possible to crunch multiple WUs in parallel. I solved it in cruncher 1.02 for windows.
yoyo
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:I have found that if you have a multiprocessor core than you HAVE to run more than this project by itself!....
Sadly, what they haven't fixed, is the fact that there is no checkpointing on their WUs....I had to shut down BOINC (to restart my PC) and lost 2x 9 hours worth of crunching on 2x Yoyo WUs....

Oh wel....

regards

Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Betatest, be not surprised.
Just finished a 15 hour one, another still running at 17 hours. Someone with a  really fast processor has had a 25 hour one.

I thought there was a bit of checkpointing as when I looked at the 'slots' table earlier there were a couple of updated files. However, they haven't been updated since I last looked around 5 hours ago - so probably not.

[edit] Or maybe they can be! Just had one 'suspended' while a SAH WU was done. The associated 'slot' had been updated when the WU started. So it may be that if 'suspend' before switching off it will restart from that point - maybe!

Image Image

melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I've had a look at the forum for this project. There is a thread devoted to the 'no checkpoint' question and the answers aren't very promising for us single CPU crunchers! :(

I also lost the same WU, twice, once at 5hrs and again at 4hrs through needing to restart the 'puter :roll:

This is going to be like CPDN, it's going to take a little thought as to when to start crunching a WU, knowing that when it starts you can't afford to stop it! :lol:

One for the Farmers, I think! :D
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

A little bit of good news! The new WUs are a quarter the size of the last batch. Well, they're the same batch but chopped in 4!
Hello,
the length of yoyo@home WUs are mainly unpredictable. In the past WUs finished very fast. Therefore I put 8 OGR WUs in 1 Boinc WU. This leads to a runtime of less than 1h.
Now the OGRs are running longer. So the Boinc WUs which are now created containing only 2 OGR WUs.
But first we have to crunch the existing 15.000 WUs Mißbilligend
yoyo
I did one last night and it only took 5 hours!

I've got another problem now! So many people have detached/aborted that the ones I had all ready done show no sign of being validated!

Image Image

melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Ooops! :oops:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

That didn't take as long as expected!
29.08.2007 Version 1.06
Version 1.06 contains checkpoints and a progress indicator. Progress bar will be increased every 1/8 of the WU. Please report problems in the forum.

29.08.2007 64 bit version for Linux
I added a 64 bit version for Linux. Please report problems in this thread.
[edit]
Though it looks like they're back to full length as the 2 I have running are quite long. A version 1.04 is at 15 hours and not stopping, a version 1.06 at 12½% and 7 hours but at least it suspended itself while other WUs progressed.

Image Image

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I haven't had a rant for a few weeks so....

Rant time!

That's it - I've had enough of this!

Why?
  • 1 - 1 WU aborted itself after over 17 hours (exit no finished file sort of thing)
    2 - 1 WU I had nearly 400 claimed credits - ended up with 78 - 78 credits for 34 hours work where I'd normally expect around 500 or more!
    3 - 12½% after 7 hours - another 40odd hours to go with a chance of less than 100 credits? That's aborted now as well.
I'm not posting this on their board as I know Yoyo pops in here occasionally and I don't want to put too many people off a new project.

Bah - humbug - Grrrr - Beta projects :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

I'll go back to it in a few weeks once I've forgotten about this!

Rant off!

Image Image

RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Well the one I got granted today gave the following:

120,725.56 secs  (33+ hours)
257.46 claimed
242.10 granted

= 7.21credits/hour.  

Not good but just within acceptable limits for the machine in question, I've still got 1700 credits pending.  Letting the pending drop a bit before processing more.
yoyo
Rechenkraft team member

Post by yoyo »

How do you know that I'm reading sometimes this forum ;-)

The problem is, that for this WU cruncher 1.04 was used. In this version if you restart the WU only the CPU time of the last run is reported to the server and used for claiming credits. In this particular case your partner restarted the WU 2 times and reported only 1/3 of the cpu time you reported.

yoyo

BTW: I'm using programmer who can help to improve the project. E.g. a graphic would be fine and a port to PS3 and other projects are waiting for integration.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

This is looking better now!

Ones I did a couple of weeks ago are getting validated (quorum = 2).

The last 2 that have been validated (a 5 hour one and a 3 hour one) are showing a 'credit granted' equivalent to around 500/day which, for this PC, is one of the more generous projects now.

Did 1 last week which took 46 hours. Hopefully, this should return around 1000+. Unfortunately, there have been 2 'no replies' and 2 'client error' which is slowing down the validation a bit!

Image Image

yoyo
Rechenkraft team member

Post by yoyo »

Plans for the future are to set quorum=1 and calculate the credit based on how many GNodes were crunched in the work unit.
yoyo
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

yoyo wrote:Plans for the future are to set quorum=1 and calculate the credit based on how many GNodes were crunched in the work unit.
yoyo
16.09.2007 New validator
A new validator is in operation which grants credits based on calculated GNodes. Quorum is now set to 1 and credits are granted immediately.
YES! I got credits! 2300 of the little beauties!

Thanks Yoyo! I'm sure that you'll get a lot more people crunching these huge WUs now that they're validating immediately.

Image Image

yoyo
Rechenkraft team member

Post by yoyo »

There was a lot credit granted today and a lot of OGR send to distributed.net. I'm prety sure that we will be #1 in distributed.net stats tomorrow :)
yoyo
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Nice one, yoyo! :thumbright:

It's good to get project feedback and information from you 8)  :D  :D
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Ths is nw loking good. Validator finally gave me 2.2k  Credits today. Hope this means rapid credits in future.....
Timby

Post by Timby »

Mmm any of you chaps running this project on Linux 64bit?
I only ask as I joined the project tonight to boost our output a bit and the first WU fell over straight away, I have set it to no new work for now untill I can find out why?
If Yoyo is looking the WU ID is 26812
My ID is 1670  looks like there are 5 client errors at the moment?

Mark
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Just had a look around. As far as I can see none of the members are using Linux. Looking further, there are a few Linux users that are working this guy from Rechenkraft.net for instance. Whilst looking I did see that a few Linux users had errors.

Doesn't help you much other than knowing that other people have got it to work. May depend on which distro you have I suppose.

Image Image

Timby

Post by Timby »

Thanks Mikee for your input, I did see that there were a few Linux users but as you quite rightly say not sure which distro they are running?
I did try one more WU which failed as soon as it ran so I will sit tight for the moment and see if Yoyo can shed any light on the problem if he reads this post?
In the meantime lets crack on with a few more ABC's

Mark
yoyo
Rechenkraft team member

Post by yoyo »

Timby wrote:Mmm any of you chaps running this project on Linux 64bit?
I only ask as I joined the project tonight to boost our output a bit and the first WU fell over straight away, I have set it to no new work for now untill I can find out why?
If Yoyo is looking the WU ID is 26812
My ID is 1670  looks like there are 5 client errors at the moment?

Mark
Hi Timby,
I see that your error for wu 26812 is a different than the 4 other errors. You have an execve error. It looks like the wrapper can not start the cruncher.

First of all reset the project and try again.

If this doesn't help, download one wu and check if cruncher* and wrapper* have execute rights in projects/www.rechenkraft.net_yoyo. Than try the following:
- create a new directory
- cp wrapper* cruncher* new_dir/
- cp job* new_dir/job.xml
- cp ogr_*_0 new_dir/in.ogf
- start in new_dir the wrapper

Send me all std* files.

yoyo
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Well done everyone who participated in our aim to regain UK #1 position.

A great team effort by all concerned.

How long will we keep it? That depends on how much of a buffer we want, who wants to carry on or join and, of course, how much Steve at BUK has 'in the bank'!

Anyone who wants to get back to their normal projects can do so with no fear of retribution or telling off!

If anyone missed the fun you can still join us! It's an active project with instant, fairly generous, credits. WUs running around 1 to 4 hours on a newish spec PC.

Once again, my personal thanks to everyone.

No 'Hobnobs' I'm afraid.

Carrots anyone?

Mike

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Just got a yoyo wu at the moment, look like will take around 8hrs on my PC
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Ah - the wanderer returns! Welcome back.

Depends which type you've got.

OGRs go up in 12.5% steps. So once it's got to 12.5% multiply the time taken by 8 to get a rough estimate.

EVOs are shorter and the percentage and timer are fairly accurate.

Tough project to get restarted on, thought you would have gone for something easier!

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Mikee wrote:Tough project to get restarted on, thought you would have gone for something easier!
Since when have I ever done anything the easy way :lol:  Got some DepSpid working at moment too
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Running YoYo for a few days while Bob (TSP server), moves home.
I'm sure sure a few extra credits will help a ikkle bit...
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Thought you gave up 'cos Eric was beating you!

We're over 500,000 behind so it certainly will help!

Image Image

Sir Cracked of the Mind
KWSN team member

Post by Sir Cracked of the Mind »

I shall leave mine running, it's not a lot yet but it alll helps
UBT - Halifax-lad

1st result in and validated got 310 credits doesnt seem all too bad
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:1st result in and validated got 310 credits doesnt seem all too bad
Good one!

Them Depspids take their time don't they!

Image Image

NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Yoyo starts back at 0% if you have to restart the poota?
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

NaRyan wrote:Yoyo starts back at 0% if you have to restart the poota?
It shows 0% but actually restarts from the last checkpoint.

Image Image

UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Nooooooooooo so when you get to 80% then restart at 0 your still at 80
oh pooooooooooooop . :shock:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - mickyb69 wrote:Nooooooooooo so when you get to 80% then restart at 0 your still at 80
What's wrong with that? You've done 80%, you've just got 20% to go but it will read 0% up 100% of that 20... sort of thing

Image Image

NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Mine go way past 100%  :?
Also are the OGR workunits the ones that only show status every 12.5%?
The one on my AMD X2 4200+ is still at 0% after 90 minutes.
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

UBT - Mikee wrote:
UBT - mickyb69 wrote:Nooooooooooo so when you get to 80% then restart at 0 your still at 80
What's wrong with that? You've done 80%, you've just got 20% to go but it will read 0% up 100% of that 20... sort of thing
cuss i tryed a few and they kept going back to 0% so i ditched them  :cry:  :cry: all them wasted credits  :D
yoyo
Rechenkraft team member

Post by yoyo »

Hi,
some clarification. On yoyo@home are 2 application running. You can choose in the preferences which you want. As default you get work for both. You see in the wu name which it is.

ogr_)
progress indicator every 12,5%. On of such progress step can take up to 7h. But the wu has checkpoints every 15min. So if you restart only the progress indicator restarts at the 12,5% level where it was before. The wu itself continues on the checkpoint. The estimated runtime of the wu is false and only exists because Boinc needs it. But the runtime is not predictable.

evo_)
Estimated runtime is an rough but good enough estimation. Based on this estimation also the progress indicator is shown and updated every 30s. But since it is an estimation the wu can finish already at 40% or even at 200%. This wu has NO checkpoints. If you restart your computer it starts from the very beginning. But you can switch to other projects and suspend Boinc if you have in your settings suspend and hold application in memory. In this case it continues.

yoyo
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Thanks for the info :)

And poo I did loose all that work on the Evo_ workunits.
Oh well they got done in the end.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Thanks for that Yoyo.

As the Evo WUs don't have checkpoints Yoyo grants an extra 30% for each finished WU to make up for any fails you may have. No fails = BONUS! :D

Image Image

UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

I tryed an evo on 1 chip ..11 hours 265 creds  :lol:
hmmmmm p4 D 3gig = 1000+ credits a day ..now thats nice
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

You must also get the extra on the OGR_ too.
Claimed 214.23, Granted 301.24.
Mind you that did take 09:46:23 on a AMD X2 6000+ (running @3212MHz)

Well working poop out, TSP would have to do 19 BF workunits to equal that 301 (or 304 credits).
And this system would take just under 6 hours to do that (worked out as 1 core running the app)

So although TSP gives 16 credits per BF_ workunit, on a X64 OS it crunches them heck of a fast (this system does them in about 17min 30 sec or less)

So in the grand scheme of "Total Boinc credits, for the team" TSP pays out quite a lot if your a x64 user.

However I'll stick with Yoyo, since we need dem credits :)
Anyone got an idea what Eric is crunching on since TSP is offline?
As It looks like he has some nice "toys" that would help on Yoyo ;)
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Yoyo always has given good credits, a lot more than is claimed. Probably due to the fact that they used to crash out a lot in the early days and that they were VERRRRYYYY long and unpredictable. Seem a lot more stable now.

Image Image

NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Not bothered about the time.
after all it's not like i actually do anything else but Crunch on ma pootas ;)
Keep getting told there is an off button, but I think those peeps are telling fibs!

(and grr Firefox spell checker is a bit naff, nice to know I spelt something wrong (he he it don't like the word Firefox), but err a suggestion of the correct word would be nice....
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

NaRyan wrote:
(and grr Firefox spell checker is a bit naff, nice to know I spelt something wrong (he he it don't like the word Firefox), but err a suggestion of the correct word would be nice....
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3

Works for me all the time. You sure you got the right extension?

Image Image

NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Yeah picked English British from the list when I 1st installed it.
Guess I done something wrong?
It is my 1st time using the prog, More of an IE/Opera peep :S

*doh now I see wot you do, you have to right click on the word *ahem*
never mind me, nowt to see here, move along now..... noob :P
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

yoyo wrote:Hi,
some clarification. On yoyo@home are 2 application running. You can choose in the preferences which you want. As default you get work for both. You see in the wu name which it is.

ogr_)
progress indicator every 12,5%. On of such progress step can take up to 7h. But the wu has checkpoints every 15min. So if you restart only the progress indicator restarts at the 12,5% level where it was before. The wu itself continues on the checkpoint. The estimated runtime of the wu is false and only exists because Boinc needs it. But the runtime is not predictable.

evo_)
Estimated runtime is an rough but good enough estimation. Based on this estimation also the progress indicator is shown and updated every 30s. But since it is an estimation the wu can finish already at 40% or even at 200%. This wu has NO checkpoints. If you restart your computer it starts from the very beginning. But you can switch to other projects and suspend Boinc if you have in your settings suspend and hold application in memory. In this case it continues.

yoyo
Thanks for the 'heads-up' on this, yoyo! I've altered my preferences the exclude 'evo' WU's. The reason for this is that I'm a single core cruncher and need to turn both BOINC and my computer off sometimes :D
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Anyone else getting this?

01/02/2008 07:38:13|yoyo@home|Scheduler request failed: HTTP file not found

Their message board seems to have disappeared and replaced with the Rechenkraft forum instead.

"Betatest, be not surprised." Oh! OK.

Image Image

Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

I was running yoyo for about a week but the last 3 days or so have been unable to get anything from them.

Gary
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Going for another point in the 'who broke it table'

Yoyo's broke!

Image Image

melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Don't frickin' look at me!! :evil:  :evil:

It's either you or the frog, as you both reported it!  :lol:  :lol:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Ah - as soon as Yoyo shows up in the forum it works again!

Image Image

yoyo
Rechenkraft team member

Post by yoyo »

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Good work, yoyo! :wink:  :lol:
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Ram Raider wrote:If you're running McAfee Virus Scan, beware
VirusScan Enterprise: The file C:\Program Files\BOINC\projects\yoyo8.homedns.org_88_yoyo\crunch_1.01_windows_intelx86.exe is infected with Proxy-DistNet Trojan. The file was successfully deleted.(running VirusScan Enter 8.0 OAS)

For some reason Norton has now decided YoYo is a backdoor trojan and deleted it from 2 of my pc's  :(  I assume it will do the rest of them when I allow a restart
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Think I had this problem once before, though it was a long while ago. Now use AVG, not had any problems with any project so far, though not running this one at the moment.
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

UBT - The Prof.... wrote:Think I had this problem once before, though it was a long while ago. Now use AVG, not had any problems with any project so far, though not running this one at the moment.
Strange thing is I wasn't running it either it just started throwing up security alerts.
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Ram Raider wrote:If you're running McAfee Virus Scan, beware

this problem as still not been sorted :(
just tried to to get work from yoyo and the wu's jost get chucked out as 'trojan' by mcafee....
oh well lets hope they get things sorted soon....

b.
Ben

Post by Ben »

The distributed.net client and runs OGR work units. This project searches for the shortest Optimal Golumb Ruler of the length 25. Some virus scanner false detect the client as trojan (list of known false detections).
That is what is said on the YoYo@Home homepage.
Sir Cracked of the Mind
KWSN team member

Well it goes like this.

"Am I willing to reduce my computer security in order to run Yoyo"

answer NO!

Their loss not mine.
Last edited by Sir Cracked of the Mind on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Sir Cracked of the Mind wrote:Well it goes like this.

"am I willing to reduce my computer security in order to run Yoyo"

answer NO!

Their loss not mine.
that was just about what i was thinking :(

yoyo makes a visit to this forum quite a few times, lets see if he has anything to say on this matter....

b. :D
yoyo
Rechenkraft team member

Post by yoyo »

Can't say anything new to this. I include the original distributed.net binary without any change. Distributed.net guys knows that some virus scanner detects there client as trojan and contacted already these companies. Some of them removed dnet from the data file, some not.
I fully respect if you do not disable your virus scanner for the boinc project and slot folder and if you will not change your scanner.
yoyo
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Thanks for answering our questions, yoyo! :(

As I don't use McAfeecrappy nonsecurity this doesn't affect me! 8)  :lol:  :lol:

So I will carry on crunching yoyo wu's without a worry!! :wink:  :D  :D

Roll on 'The OGR Challenge', I'll be running 100% yoyo on that!! :twisted:  :twisted:
Sir Cracked of the Mind
KWSN team member

You really know how to piss people off don't you Melter65, well screw you too jerk wad!

I'm off!
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Sir Cracked of the Mind wrote:You really know how to piss people off don't you Melter65, well screw you too jerk wad!

I'm off!
Hang on a moment, Sir Cracked!

My answer was meant to be slightly tongue in cheek, everybody (including me!) has had trouble with McAffee, Norton, Comodo and various other security suites/firewalls. I certainly wouldn't expect you to open your 'puter up to possible attack just to crunch a specific project!