Got an "iffy" ADSL connection? See this!

Having problems installing that new stick of memory? Found some great software or having issues with something? Or maybe want to chat about your PlayStation, X-Box, Nintendo, Sega, even your old Spectrum 48k....! Or maybe something you want to sell or acquire (computing related of course!). Let us know here...
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Got an "iffy" ADSL connection? See this!

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

This might explain some peoples ADSL connection issues:

ISP blows the whistle on router chip 'fault' (first listed 22nd Oct 2007)

See article here

and to see if YOUR router has an Infineon (formerly Texas Instruments) AR7 chipset, see here

regards

Tim
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Yay i got 1 (DG834Gv2)  :lol:
Runs quite well most of the time  :shock:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Anyone who has the BT HomeHub will know that every sodding chip inside it is completely useless. Sodding thing disconnects for no reason what-so-ever!    :(
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Ben wrote:Anyone who has the BT HomeHub will know that every sodding chip inside it is completely useless. Sodding thing disconnects for no reason what-so-ever!    :(
Totally agree Ben I ended up buying my own router very soon after switching to so called Total Broadband :roll:

Terry
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ah good idea. Was it a case of just replacing the homehub with the new router and it works straight away? Or do you have to phone up BT to get all the details etc?

If it's not difficult i might do that as it drives me up the wall.
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

Ben wrote:Ah good idea. Was it a case of just replacing the homehub with the new router and it works straight away? Or do you have to phone up BT to get all the details etc?

Hi Ben not at all difficult just bought a Netgear router plugged it in and away you go, I would only say make sure you get a good router with it's own firewall etc and you can't go wrong.

Terry
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Ben wrote:Ah good idea. Was it a case of just replacing the homehub with the new router and it works straight away? Or do you have to phone up BT to get all the details etc?

Ben,

If you want a very good ADSL modem/router, then I highly recommend the Draytek Vigor 2800 series...they are almost bullet proof, they don't use the above chipset, will work with ADSL2+ when it comes out and they have a built in firewall and plenty of high level functions to enable/disable all sorts of stuff from getting into your local network.

They do versions for wired networks, a G version for wireless and a V version for VOIP.

You can pick them up for around £100 on eBay.

PS The firmware is fully maintained by the parent company and is easily updated via TFTP client...! (see http://www.draytek.co.uk for UK info).

regards

Tim
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

I could also recommend the Netgear router. I think they cost about £50.
I`ve had mine for about 18 months and is very reliable, and has never caused me any problems at all.

Rick.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Sounds good, might give it a try at some point  :)  cheers guys.