Sub Forums

A section to chat about whatever takes your fancy about the team in general. For queries about the UBT Forum, please post a message here. Likewise, any suggestions for making the forum better...
UBT - Halifax-lad

Sub Forums

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

OK getting those voting fingers ready time for a poll

I found a Mod that can create a sub forum, basically a forum within a forum see here then click on General Chat, in there you will see 2 sub forums and all other messages relating to General Chat.

What I propose it that all the other BOINC projects have there own sub forum within the 'Other project news', keeping everything nice and tidy and in the correct places. As putting them on the front page of the forum would only make it too long cluttered.

It would make it easier to navigate to find a thread of interest for a particular project, rather than all the projects sharing the same folder.

The Mod is only to create a sub forum 1 deep so there won't be forum within forum within forum.

Dazza is aware of this Mod but just wants to see if people would like it installing here.

It takes 1/2 hr or so to install and so before he installs it to the test forum to see if it works correctly he would like to see peoples opinions.

I'm biased of course so my answer is yes :lol:

I hope we all see sense and make the yes vote count

There will be no danger to this forum as it will be tested on the test forum 1st before been brought over here. If the answer is yes then when it comes to install time the DB will be backed up, and hopefully access to the forum suspended so that no one can post during the install

Poll closes automatically in 3 days
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Sub Forums

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:I found a Mod that can create a sub forum, basically a forum within a forum see here then click on General Chat, in there you will see 2 sub forums and all other messages relating to General Chat.

Sounds good to me.

So, a question:

If a currently "low profile" project, gets put into it's own sub-forum, and then that particular project gets "massive", can we then move the messages from the sub-forum, into their own "main" forum, like we have with SETI, CPDN, etc. at a later date?

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

I think it can be done but it would be a bit of a pain in the ass to do if, at least I think it would be, I have no real idea, Dazza may be able to answer that one.

At least it's not going to happen too many times that something becomes really big.

It would prob be easier to leave the posts where they are as it would mean moving DB tables and the likes.

Someone else correct me if I wrong :!:
Darren

Post by Darren »

Not being negative but the example you posted does not use it.
They have set up two subforums that are both empty! May be a new thing though.

I have had a quick look and it has pre-changed modules that only work in the subSilver style so that may cause a problem.

I have not had chance to set up the test site yet but I should get some time on Saturday. I'll then try and install it zand we can see if it works there or if it falls flat on it's face.
UBT - Halifax-lad

That was the closest example I could find to show what it would look like, haven't found any others yet still looking
UBT - Halifax-lad

On second thought I have found one that uses it, looks naff :lol: :lol:

http://www.aureus-rector.net/forum/index.php

Much prefer it like the link I posted from that other forum

So Dazza you don't need to put in that Mod, just make the forum have sections like that 1st post of mine, that looks better than what this Mod can do
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

hmmn, I'm not sure either way.
On the one hand I think that having loads of separate forums is undesirable from a where do I start point of view
and on the other hand I can see sub-forums being just as undesireable from a where the bloody hell is it point of view.

The Freedom of Speech site suffers from both of the above IMO
(1st time I've seen the sub-forums BTW)

Myself, I would prefer a max of about 8 or 9 forums but with boinc being so successful and new projects popping up all the time, I accept thats unreasonable.

Oh well
UBT - Halifax-lad

I don't want sub forums no more it looks poo, but have the Other BOINC news host folders for all the other BOINC projects would be better as you just click on the project you want and all the messages related to that project are there, rather than having to search around for what you need
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:I don't want sub forums no more it looks poo, but have the Other BOINC news host folders for all the other BOINC projects would be better as you just click on the project you want and all the messages related to that project are there, rather than having to search around for what you need
yep, I agree
think I was just having a grumpy old man moment
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - AJS wrote:yep, I agree
think I was just having a grumpy old man moment
:lol: :lol: We all have those moments :lol: :lol: