Running BOINC Manager on VISTA/32bit?

Anything "BOINC" specific can be commented on here...such as Project news and announcements etc. Also: any problems with BOINC or maybe you have found something interesting, tell us about it. Chat about the various 3rd party client applications used for some of the projects such as optimised clients.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Running BOINC Manager on VISTA/32bit?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

OK, I don't get it....

I have a little laptop, upon which I've installed BOINC Manager.

BUT VISTA is stopping me run this program from the start-up group....!

VISTA refers me to the program "makers" to get an updated file that'll be "acceptable" to VISTA.

I've looked around within VISTA to see if I can bypass this - to no avail - and I admit I've not done a Google yet....!

Anyone else have this issue? - I'm guessing it's something to do with UAC, which must be ON I guess.

regards

Tim
Timby

Post by Timby »

Hi Tim, I have the same thing here and the obvious answer is ...................

don't turn the thing off ????

Seriously though, I was under the impression Boinc were working on the fix as the inbuilt Security with Vista won't recognise the Manager, so if you find a fix or work around I for one would like to know (Please)
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Hi Tim.
I`ve had a few problems with my Vista rig.
I find it`s best using version 5.8.16 of BOINC manager.

Regards, Rick.
Last edited by UBT - Rick Horn on Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

The problem lies with vista in built security system like Timby mentioned. The problem is that UAC is on high alert most of the time and is suspicious of programs it deems a possible threat.

Unfortunately it is either you put up with that, or turn off UAC (User Account Control) altogether. Now personally i like it when it alerts me to things going on, but in this case it can be a bit of a pain.

I heard of a way to get round things like that called UAC Tweak from a friend of mine and i shall ask him as soon as he appears online for more information and shall post a reply as soon as possible.

:)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Timby wrote:Hi Tim, I have the same thing here and the obvious answer is ...................

don't turn the thing off ????
Hmmmm.....good idea...but being a portable PC, there are times when I need to power it down....

OK - I could set it to "hibernate"....or "sleep"  or one of those other "things"...(this is my first modern laptop - last one was a Panasonic ToughBook based on a 486sx CPU I think !!)..I'm just getting used to all it's various settings and foibles...

However, I was also thinking laterally as well, as I am sure that this coming Xmas, there might be quite a few crunchers who have Vista and they just might wonder why BOINC doesn't start working when their PC starts up...indeed, some might not even notice it isn't running...!
Timby wrote:Seriously though, I was under the impression Boinc were working on the fix as the inbuilt Security with Vista won't recognise the Manager, so if you find a fix or work around I for one would like to know (Please)
I sure hope the BOINC dev's do something about it.....!

regards

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Ben wrote:The problem lies with vista in built security system like Timby mentioned. The problem is that UAC is on high alert most of the time and is suspicious of programs it deems a possible threat.

Unfortunately it is either you put up with that, or turn off UAC (User Account Control) altogether. Now personally i like it when it alerts me to things going on, but in this case it can be a bit of a pain.

I heard of a way to get round things like that called UAC Tweak from a friend of mine and i shall ask him as soon as he appears online for more information and shall post a reply as soon as possible.

:)
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the suggestion.

As a result, I did a Google and....see here

A whole load of Vista tweakery...!

regards and thanks,

Tim
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ah good find timbo! Thats the one i was on about  :)

However, i would be careful when running BOINC on laptops as they will get extreamly hot. You don't want to fry certain stuff!  :!:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Ben wrote:Ah good find timbo! Thats the one i was on about  :)

However, i would be careful when running BOINC on laptops as they will get extreamly hot. You don't want to fry certain stuff!  :!:
Hi Ben,

Quite true...although that situation is changing, fortunately.

Some of the newer Core and Core 2 CPU's actually have quite a low TDP, compared to some of the previous designs.......making even quite cheap laptops capable of running BOINC reasonably well, if only for a few hours per day.

Of course, some BOINC projects do push the CPU's quite hard....and if the fan cooling the CPU should stop unexpectedly, then you could easily end up with a nice piece of modern art.....

I bet if Damien Hirst ran BOINC on his laptop and it got fried, he'd win the Turner Prize for it.... :wink:

regards

Tim
Naon

Post by Naon »

Same here, and no clue about the start up programs.... Got Vista 32 Bit on 27/11... Launched 2 cores for the gauntlet on wcg and went up 74 places in the team rankings.. I had to leave it on all of the time..... I am going to configer the computer into a music studio workstation and i am still cutting the fat out of the system..
Gary

Post by Gary »

Here's some good vista stuff..
http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-vista/